Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
I think when it comes to tool manufactures it all boils down to survival of the smartest. A friend of mine recently bought a new Milwaukie 1/2" VSR hand drill 8 amp 120v . He said he wanted to get an American brand drill for our shop.
????????????? I thought, but it is made in China, I said.
No it's not!
Read the tag, plain as day made in China. I think he paid around $169.00 for it. OK not too bad a price for a good reasonably heavy duty drill.
A few weeks later I bought a new in the box !/2" VSR Kobalt 9 amp 120v drill for $30.00 at an auction.
Ed looked at it and said KOBALT! Thats a lowes brand isn't it?
Yeah so what kobalt tools was started under contract from Lowes by the J.H.Williams& Danhar tool corp. to compete against Home Depot carrying Craftsmen tools but what people don't know is the JH Williams industrial tools was acquired by Snap-on tool corp and named Snap-on industrial tools, and if you look real close you will find that both your Milwaukie and my Kobalt were made in the same factory in China the Kobalt has a wider heavier gear head it will also have hardened steel gears since it has the industrial rating stamp whereas your Milwaukie is not the industrial model mine weighs nearly 2 pounds more and I think I got good deal.
He did have to agree on that point.
Yep. Bosch, Milwakee and Dewalt all made under the same roof. Never thought about Kobalt!

Point being just as anywhere else. You get what you pay for. If you pay a quality Chinese manufacturer to make you a quality product you can get one. If you are shaving pennies to make a dime they can do that to.