Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 10" backhoe bucket for Ford 755

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    This one for skid loader
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/111000876029

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Supporting Member KustomsbyKent's Avatar
    Thanks

KustomsbyKent's Tools
    I have had good success with hole saws cutting through plate steel, tubing, etc, but it's critical to turn them slow.... I use my vertical mill with it in low gear and turned down about as slow as it will go. Lots of cutting oil, and it works fine. I'm routinely cutting 1.5" holes, and 2" holes through steel plate and tubing.
    Depending on frequency, they last for many cuts, but not super long. I have had better success with name brand hole saws like Lennox, but also decent success with the Lowe's brand Kobalt.
    I'd like to try the annular cutters at some point.

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    Thanked 8,789 Times in 4,207 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    I mostly try to use my hole saws for wood aluminum or steel less than 1/4" thick. My frill press is hard to change speeds so I leave it on the lowest but that is still 325 RPM. too fast for the 3 1/2 to 5 " saws I have for anything other than softer materials.I have a 3/4" hand drill with 2 speeds 155 RPM low 375 high there abouts It works good but hard to control that leaves the mill it is 3 Hp but also belt drive so again PITA to change speeds. My annulars only go up to 1" Some day I would like to increase my selection of them up to 2" 1/16" or 1/32" I'd like to have 2" depth cutters but I have to buy things like this 1 at a time as pricey as they are.
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks
    Thanked 1,451 Times in 823 Posts

hemmjo's Tools
    Good job on the bucket.

The biggest problem with using hole saws in steel is the speed of the drill or drill press. Most are way too fast. Also you have to take time to clear chips as mentioned above and keep the the cut well oiled while cutting.

1 3/4 ≈ 2” hole
    c = π d

3.14 x 2 = 6.28 inch ≈ .5 foot

From my chart for Plain Carbon Steels, AISI–1019, 1020, 1030, 1040, 1050, 1060, 1070, 1080, 1090

Using a high speed steel cutter, on plain carbon steel the cutting rate varies from 15 to 120 feet per minute, depending on the hardness. For the softest type, desired speed is between 80-120 FPM

If you pick 100 fpm as a starting point, 100fpm ÷ .5ft = 200 RPM for your 1 3/4” hole saw. This is the MAXIMUM speed it should run. For best results and deviation from this should be lower rather then faster.

Since it is difficult to know for sure what type of steel you have, the maximum speed may very well be lower than this, perhaps down to 30 rpm for the hardest type I see on my chart.

Dry Creek Smithing
    Supporting Member

Thanks
    Hi Frank,
    Thanks for the build on the bucket. I need to make none as well. My small Backhoe came with a 18" one. I'd like about a 9" bucket for trenching as well. How did you determine length of the bucket? Nice work Frank! Great idea's make it happen.
    Doug @
    Dry Creek Smithing

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information