Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: 2 x 72 inch Revolution Belt Grinder (aka The Metal Muncher!)

Thanks

bobs409's Tools
    Small Wheel sanding attachment for the 2 x 72 belt sander.

I just finished up a small wheel sanding attachment I've been working on. You can buy these but what fun is that???

Wheel holder body is made of aluminum and is bolted to it's own tooling arm so when needed, simply slip this attachment in and your ready to go. (no tools needed!)

This attachment can be used in both vertical or horizontal positions.

I added (2) auxiliary rear 1.5" rubber wheels that you can use to wrap the sanding belt under to sand tighter areas. (see pics) These would only be used when needed as they would wear due to the sanding grit being in contact with the wheel surface. (pics show and describe this process better) To use, just loosen the thumb nut and rotate the wheel assembly upward, a stop pin locates it for you, then wrap belt around and under these wheels. I made these from some 1.5" aluminum round stock and the rubber portion is just an old car radiator hose! lol If they wear out, plenty more hose around here.

I made up 4 diameters of wheels; 3/4", 1", 1.5" and 2" and all have a rubber sanding sleeve. Some store bought versions don't even have that added luxury! (found the sleeves on amazon after some diligent searching, link below if you want to build this) The sleeves are twice as long as needed (4.5) so cut them in half, use one set and sell the other! lol These are installed on a piece of 1/2" cold rolled steel. The ends are turned down a little to accept the 6001RS bearings. No tools needed to swap in the wheels either, just slip one in and wrap the belt around it. Done!

In addition to those 4 wheels, I also made a 1 inch steel Template wheel. I don't think anything like this is available commercially, it's an idea I got from a you tube video. It has 2 larger bearings (R8) at one end for a template to ride on allowing the sanding belt to shape the part. Great for making multiple parts quickly! (sorry, no examples available yet of that process)

One thing that is still needed is a better table build specifically for this attachment. I'm still in the planning stages on that. Something that will go around the shape of the belt. For now, the regular tilting table is usable.

Link for rubber sanding sleeves used on this project:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2 x 72 inch Revolution Belt Grinder (aka The Metal Muncher!)-sw1.jpg2 x 72 inch Revolution Belt Grinder (aka The Metal Muncher!)-sw2.jpg2 x 72 inch Revolution Belt Grinder (aka The Metal Muncher!)-sw3.jpg2 x 72 inch Revolution Belt Grinder (aka The Metal Muncher!)-sw4.jpg2 x 72 inch Revolution Belt Grinder (aka The Metal Muncher!)-sw5.jpg2 x 72 inch Revolution Belt Grinder (aka The Metal Muncher!)-sw6.jpg2 x 72 inch Revolution Belt Grinder (aka The Metal Muncher!)-sw7.jpg2 x 72 inch Revolution Belt Grinder (aka The Metal Muncher!)-sw8.jpg2 x 72 inch Revolution Belt Grinder (aka The Metal Muncher!)-sw9.jpg2 x 72 inch Revolution Belt Grinder (aka The Metal Muncher!)-sw10.jpg

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by bobs409; May 2, 2020 at 05:22 PM.

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to bobs409 For This Useful Post:

high-side (May 6, 2020), Jon (May 6, 2020), Kevic (May 5, 2020), Little Rabbit (May 10, 2020), matt_albitz (May 10, 2020), Moby Duck (May 6, 2020), Toolmaker51 (May 6, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,981 Times in 1,893 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    re post #21 ;
    I especially like concept of the interchangeable diameter wheel assemblies. Bearings, for all their precision and useful life, are not expensive to equip as individual units. Additionally, this spreads wear among them; where oft-used sets get replaced accordingly.
    And the contour template roller....! I've not seen that idea employed with any sander. Whether blending difficult one-off shapes or production items; that is a winner!

2000 Tool Plans
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Toolmaker51 For This Useful Post:

bobs409 (May 6, 2020)

Thanks

bobs409's Tools
    Thanks Toolmaker! Wish I could say the template wheel was my own idea but I saw one in a you tube video and I never take credit unless it's due. Jeremy Schmidt I think his name/channel is. His idea is based off what a wood router uses.

I've been getting bearings on ebay at very reasonable prices. Most are about $1 a piece or less as I buy them 10 in a pack.

I gotta stop building accessories for this thing! It's addictive.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to bobs409 For This Useful Post:

Toolmaker51 (May 6, 2020)

Thanks

Little Rabbit's Tools
    Awesome job!

A great source for hard rubber tubing ideally suited for grinding metal is automotive hoses. They come in a great range of sizes and are readily available new and 2nd hand.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Little Rabbit For This Useful Post:

bobs409 (May 11, 2020)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,809 Times in 9,916 Posts

Thanks bobs409! We've added your Belt Grinder Wheel Sanding Attachment to our Belt Sanders and Grinders category,
    as well as to your builder page: bobs409's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

Thanks
    Awesome Job! Love all the attention to details! Definitely High Quality Workmanship!

Thanks

Bony's Tools
    Looks like the Brian House designed grinder, he's a member of this site I think and deserves credit. I'm in the process of constructing a surface grinder for this particular design if you want any ideas or help.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information