Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: 4x6 Bandsaw coolant drip trays

Supporting Member thehomeengineer's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,070 Times in 407 Posts

thehomeengineer's Tools

4x6 Bandsaw coolant drip trays

Hi All

The drip trays are now fitted in place to catch any coolant that might be dragged around by the blade and leak over the floor.
    4x6 Bandsaw coolant drip trays-fitted.jpg 4x6 Bandsaw coolant drip trays-switch-tray.jpg4x6 Bandsaw coolant drip trays-motor-tray.jpg
    Two are manufactured form sheet steel and the one, being a purchase of a standard oven tray. (if there is such a thing)

Templates were made from card and formed to check fit. Once Happy, this was then transferred to the flat sheet and cut out on the guillotine and corner-notcher ready for folding. Before folding I rolled the top edge to ensure the coolant doesn't leak behind the trays. The top edges are simply hammer formed to fit tightly to the base box section and in turn this then fitted under the casting of the saw. I didn't want to use a sealant but if this method doesn't work I may have to result to using silicon to create a seal.
    4x6 Bandsaw coolant drip trays-hammer-formming.jpg

The trays were folded up on my home made box pan folder.
    4x6 Bandsaw coolant drip trays-folding.jpg

These then had the galvanised removed ready for welding. This didn't go to plan as my auto darkening welding helmet was to dark to see the weld at low amps. So was a little frustrating in trying to get a nice bead on thin steel. A new welding helmet as been purchased that hopefully will allow me to see.
    The poor welding was corrected with the angle grinder and a flap wheel.
    4x6 Bandsaw coolant drip trays-formed-ready-weld.jpgReady to be dressed for welding
    4x6 Bandsaw coolant drip trays-drip-catchers.jpgFinished and painted.

The custom base was drilled and M4 rivet nuts used to fix drip trays to the base.

The standard oven tray will need a drain hole and some sort of filter to protect the coolant pump from the swarf. This is also needs to be removable to clean the tray and filter. I also might need to shape the tray to aid draining so it doesn't pool and not return to the reservoir tank.

Thank you for viewing
    The Home Engineer

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to thehomeengineer For This Useful Post:

clydeman (Jan 16, 2022), rlm98253 (Jan 10, 2022), Tule (Jan 11, 2022)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,852 Times in 1,653 Posts

Thanks thehomeengineer! We've added your Bandsaw Coolant Drip Trays to our Bandsaws category,
    as well as to your builder page: thehomeengineer's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    I use the dollar store trays under almost everthing I have,my lathes have multiple trays so i dont have to pull out a big tray that may be full on one end only, smaler ones, you pull the ones that needs to be emptyed.and catch oil drippings too. as well as trays in drawers so i dont have to clean out the draws of chips&drippings, just pull trays& wipe out quickley, usualy again more then 1 tray in each drawer. for diferent tools&tooling. easely see what's what. and the toold that may go with that piticular tooling holder dont have to be searched for for that tool as it's in it's right place.
    my band saw ( looks like that one) I built a wood stand for it ontop a harberfright moving dolly so it moves around eazely and has shelf for catching the cuttings and big shelf under to hold wahtever. works great. those cheep wooden harber fright wood moving dollys are great for all kinds of stuff.you cant buy the wheels for what the dolly sells for on sale.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by marksbug; Jan 20, 2022 at 03:45 PM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to marksbug For This Useful Post:

thehomeengineer (Jan 21, 2022)

Thread Information