Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: 9ft long hone extension shaft

Supporting Member mwmkravchenko's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Toolmaker51 View Post
    Might surprise you (and others) knowing an animal such as "properly trained machinist" to be rare like hens teeth.
    Even a 4 year apprentice, with high expertise in that controlled environment, will be less competent 'outside'. A captive shop, working for a parent outfit, is far less creative than a job shop is compelled to be; therefore really the only way to get well rounded.
    I suspect a vast majority of the population here demonstrate broad experience, representing that 'everyday a different project', under such circumstances.

As an individual, nothing pleases like hearing statements like your [I]I learn and do, and read and learn more! You guys are an invaluable resource as well....[I]
    and especially with Never cease to make me think.
    No one knows everything about it, has every resource, or ran every type of work! Some though, fail to admit.

Actually I have a friend that is a tool and die maker. Started out in many facets of machining and ended up incredibly rounded out.

So yes I understand that there are different grades of skill.

Same to be said of Cabinet Making. There are kitchen box jockey's. That's not true Cabinet making. There is Carpentry but even that has been grossly compartmentalised. How many Carpenters can build stairs and a roof anymore? There is Millwork for fixed building interiors and Joinery for furniture. But having training in all of that is akin to learning to be a full compass millwright welder, machinist and toolmaker.

Having done the full gambit of woodworking from a young age I never thought much of it until I learned that many people are severely limited. By themselves, mostly due to fear. My Dad and grandfather built from footing to roof and everything in between. I helped and I learned. I liked cabinetmaking more and went into that. Basically swearing off kitchens. ( 9 in 34 years ) I have done just about everything that a wood working person can do aside from log buildings and full timber frame buildings. Most types of furniture and curved work of many sorts and sizes.

Metal working I have always dabbled at. And now I am getting more serious about doing more of it. So I have been slowly buying up old used iron that is by chance all British made and again by chance all made by Elliot. My bandsaws are not. But two lathes and a milling machine are. A K.O. Lee surface grinder is in the works and a tool and cutter grinder by the same guys. I think I have a D-bit grinder as well. Still waiting. So getting setup correctly. Helped along by my retired tool and die guy. Who really isn't retired just working more slowly!

I read what you guys post and see a few on here that are truly gifted craftsmen. And I appreciate your time and your explanations. There are more than have chimed in on this thread. But I think they know who they are. A lot of us have a slightly different bent and that works. You need that. Why else pout so much time into things most average people will never even dream of attempting!

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following User Says Thank You to mwmkravchenko For This Useful Post:

Toolmaker51 (Oct 11, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,789 Times in 4,207 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by metric_taper View Post
    What was the shaft material. It looks like 3/4" EMT, that you put reducers on the end for the drill and hone.
    I assume you put a bunch of oil in to lubricate the hone and float the solids away from the stones.
    The shaft is very old stock 1" cold rolled round bar My guess either 1018 or 1026
    If you don't use liberal amounts of oil for even just knocking off any possible surface rust or trash from deteriorated seals you might as well to get ready and replace the stones or at least true them up again.
    For this type of bore clean up I would have preferred to use bead hones but simply could not justify the cost.
    If the bores had been pitted scored or dented I would have had to enlarge them or taken other measures

2000 Tool Plans
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by mwmkravchenko View Post
    This cabinetmaker/carpenter uses bits of wood for many of these situations. Spindle bore is easy enough to make a bung and drill a hole. Same for V blocks. Surprising how accurately you can make up jigs and fixtures out of Baltic Birch. Takes threads well to. Just tap to 100% thread depth. Holds better than a screw actually. Necessity and desperation make for some innovation sometimes!

Plus I'm not properly trained as a machinist. I learn and do, and read and learn more! You guys are an invaluable resource as well. Never cease to make me think.
    I have always considered the ultimate use for wood to be a source of heat in a fire place or stove. It may go through many transformations prior to that though as houses furniture fine cabinetry etc. growing up we lived on my grandpa's farm . He had a small wood working shop where he made things such as entry doors for churches podiums for the chicken eating fire & brimstone gloom and doom shouting preachers, also made the first cabinet for the Curtis Mathes stereo color tv thing.
    Once when I was still quite small I happened to notice the door to his shop open he was inside rubbing and polishing on a pair to decoratively huge carved and inlayed doors. I asked him what he was doing.
    His reply was I'm making firewood.
    Looks like doors to me I said.
    Maybe for now but 50 or 100 or possibly 200 years from now these doors will become what trees are actually put on this Earth for. which is to provide heat to keep someone warm.
    Well in that case how do you know when you are finished making your firewood doors, or the cabinets you make?
    They are never finished I just keep sanding rubbing and polishing until someone takes them away and asks me to make something else, he said.
    All that being said I once made kitchen cabinets for a house we were living in. Built in place from scratch, not of those ill fitting box store things. The uppers were easy no drawers just a bunch of 1x12 and 1x2s plus the doors. But if I ever make another set of uppers they will be done on a table or saw horses. running a router from a step stool is no fun
    Last edited by Frank S; Oct 11, 2021 at 07:00 AM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    I have always considered the ultimate use for wood to be a source of heat in a fire place or stove. It may go through many transformations prior to that though as houses furniture fine cabinetry etc. growing up we lived on my grandpa's farm . He had a small wood working shop where he made things such as entry doors for churches podiums for the chicken eating fire & brimstone gloom and doom shouting preachers, also made the first cabinet for the Curtis Mathes stereo color tv thing.
    Once when I was still quite small I happened to notice the door to his shop open he was inside rubbing and polishing on a pair to decoratively huge carved and inlayed doors. I asked him what he was doing.
    His reply was I'm making firewood.
    Looks like doors to me I said.
    Maybe for now but 50 or 100 or possibly 200 years from now these doors will become what trees are actually put on this Earth for. which is to provide heat to keep someone warm.
    Well in that case how do you know when you are finished making your firewood doors, or the cabinets you make?
    They are never finished I just keep sanding rubbing and polishing until someone takes them away and asks me to make something else, he said.
    Fire is the ultimate get even when the wood doesn't listen to you!

I have made over 150 passage doors. Including some for churches. Some heavier than me and I weigh 240lbs. Your Grandpa was a thinker.

As a 20 year old I had the privilege to work on a saw mill for about 6 months. And I was eager to learn and the sawyer took me under his wing. Turns out most decent saw logs up here are in the 300 to 400 years old range. Things grow more slowly because of the shorter growing season. Texas rarely gets below freezing and frozen ground doesn't happen. Where I am is close to Ottawa Canada. We get frozen ground two to three feet deep here in the winter. Kind of drops the hammer on plant growth for about 5 months of the year if you count fall. We have ground frost from about mid to late November to April when there can be the remaining frozen ground doing it's thing. Wrecks havoc on the roads. I guess in Texas you have rainy and dry season does similar things to the trees. I drove through Dallas Fort Worth and then down to Brownsville and the up the coast to Houston in 1982 I think. It was record cold what ever year it was. My Dad wanted to see the sites in Texas and took us along for a ride. 5 days to get to Brownsville. Imagine no tablets, no movies. Cards and the windows. My Dad always made me the navigator. So I had the map to. GP what? Give that to a 30 something and watch the consternation. Or a CNC jockey a manual lathe and say make this. Or give me a CNC machine same problem. But on a manual machine you can go from napkin sketch to part in a heck of a lot less time.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to mwmkravchenko For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    I'm quite partial to certified prints done on napkins as well. I once sold a $40,000.00 4 story 25 ton freight elevator to a guy I hardly knew while sitting at his dinner table after making a few sketches of what I thought he was wanting on a hand full of napkins took a 10 thousand dollar check and 5 k in cash for materials . drove the 700 miles home and built it using little more than those preliminary sketches to go by. back then I didn't have a computer to do cad drawings on it was either a drafting board and pencil with paper or forget the drafting board and use a spiral bound notebook
    2 months later we knocked an interior wall down to get the 60 ft long uprights installed in the building. 10 years later he knocked the building down and built another one around the lift.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

mwmkravchenko (Oct 11, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,981 Times in 1,893 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Well, being as they're certified, why not?
    Other end of spectrum, Dad wanted a large room addition. He was general contractor but intended it DIY for himself, and a few periodic helpers.
    He [mostly] and his architectural engineer prepared full-on blueprints [late 70's era], bill of materials, plot survey results, utility clearances, all the completion schedules with list of permits etc, and submitted to City office.
    They flipped, saying they'd NEVER seen such complete filing for private work; cocktail napkins and raggedy spiral bound pages being the norm.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Thanks
    Yep. I have done similar. I will remember certified napkin sketch. If you know what you are doing all you need is a memory aid and the dimensions. All is good after that.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,398 Times in 2,119 Posts

mklotz's Tools
    Now gentlemen, let's not be knocking cocktail napkin design sketches. I can testify from personal experience that some of the key weapon details guarding the country during the cold war were initiated via same.

I can remember one cocktail waitress picking up a water-soaked napkin on which were inscribed a set of matrix equations for a Kalman filter*. She stared at it for a while and then asked, "Is this how they write in your country? It's kind of pretty."

For a long time after, "Is this how they write in your country?" became a stock jab whenever a presenter flashed a particularly complex presentation slide.

--
    * A mathematical tool for providing improved estimates of unknowns when some properties of the interfering noise are known.
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Thanks
    Thanked 2,981 Times in 1,893 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    So, if they were to ban cocktail napkins first, disarming is next?
    As comic Gallagher said, we're the only country having a Department of Defense with first strike capabilities.
    Don't worry guys, I'm no dove; just appreciative to well turned phrases.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Thanks
    Thanked 6,398 Times in 2,119 Posts

mklotz's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Toolmaker51 View Post
    As comic Gallagher said, we're the only country having a Department of Defense with first strike capabilities....
    The phrase that always tickled me was MAD (Mutual Assured Destruction). It was so scarily descriptive yet politicians used it without, I believe, ever understanding what it really meant.

The poignantly saddest thing is that it worked. We had the longest interval without a world war in the twentieth century because of it.
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

14. The Following User Says Thank You to mklotz For This Useful Post:

Thread Information