Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Beefy bender

Thanks
    Thanked 6,380 Times in 2,117 Posts

mklotz's Tools

Beefy bender

I have an excellent German bending jig kit capable of making very complicated bends in wire and strip steel. However, it's complicated to set up and a bit of overkill for smaller jobs so I decided to build something a bit smaller and simpler to handle the occasional bending requirement on models and for various forms of shop tooling.

The first photo shows the component parts. The main part is the large cylindrical "table" (my term - there's probably a correct name but I don't know it). The table has a central hole surrounded by a spiral of holes. These holes accept 1/4" steel pins which acts as restraints and formers when bending. The central pin is also used to anchor larger dies (not shown) when bending larger radii. These dies are usually made up as required by the job at hand.

A 1/2" steel plate (still covered in red layout die) fits over the table and, constrained by three screws, is free to rotate about the table. It has a slot through which the bending "tooth" (more personal terminology) is attached. The slot allows the tooth to be adjusted in and out relative to the table center. This tooth is clamped such that the material to be bent is forced against the former as the plate is turned.

A delightfully crude handle made of 3/4" gas pipe attaches to the plate to provide plenty of leverage when bending.

Here another view of the table shows the groove into which the dog-pointed screws that anchor the plate to the table fit. The screws are sized such that, when tightened down, the plate is still free to turn.

Also shown is one of two flats on the table which are used when clamping it in the vise. They're a bit meek and need to be made bigger but I haven't gotten around to it yet.

And, finally, a picture of all the bits assembled and the bender mounted in the bench vise. A sample of the work that can be done is the small hook made of coat-hanger wire shown lying on the plate.

This thing is grossly over-built. My education is in physics, not mechanical engineering, so "design" is guided more by what stock is currently available that "for sure" won't break in the intended application. I'd wax apologetic but I surmise that I'm not the only one here who does this.

Regardless, this brute works well and, though heavy, shows no sign of bending or breaking.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by mklotz; Jul 8, 2017 at 04:13 PM.
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

2. The Following 29 Users Say Thank You to mklotz For This Useful Post:

baja (Jul 4, 2020), Big-Pete (Jul 4, 2020), flyfr8rs (Sep 4, 2023), Frank S (Sep 6, 2016), Harvey Melvin Richards (Sep 13, 2016), high-side (Jul 4, 2020), HobieDave (Mar 12, 2020), Jakeapart (Mar 19, 2017), janders1957 (Dec 25, 2017), jjr2001 (Dec 25, 2017), johnsmachines (Feb 1, 2024), Jon (Sep 6, 2016), KD7IIA (Sep 14, 2016), Kevic (Mar 13, 2019), mattthemuppet (Sep 13, 2016), morsa (Sep 13, 2016), mwmkravchenko (Jan 29, 2022), Okapi (Sep 13, 2016), Papa Bill (May 9, 2018), Paul Jones (Sep 6, 2016), PJs (Sep 7, 2016), Priemsy (Jul 3, 2020), Resident114 (Dec 11, 2023), rgsparber (Jan 18, 2024), thehomeengineer (Dec 19, 2023), Toolmaker51 (Dec 28, 2017), tuchie (Dec 11, 2023), volodar (Sep 7, 2018), WinDancerKnives (Sep 13, 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Marv there are very few things wrong if you could call them wrong with over building a tool.
    They are heavier than fully optimized designs, but they seldom fail due to potential weak areas.
    They use more materials which can be more costly except when re-purposing scrap or parts on hand.
    They have a tendency to last almost forever which means you only get to build them once
    They often morph into tools which can transform into other tools that you would not even consider doing with a lessor tool.
    Nope' I'll take an over built tool for personal use any time

2000 Tool Plans
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

4. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

baja (Jul 4, 2020), Big-Pete (Jul 4, 2020), HobieDave (Mar 12, 2020), mwmkravchenko (Jan 29, 2022), Papa Bill (May 9, 2018), Paul Jones (Dec 28, 2017), PJs (Sep 7, 2016), Toolmaker51 (Dec 28, 2017), volodar (Sep 7, 2018)

PJs
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,118 Times in 718 Posts

PJs's Tools
    Thank you Marv, perfect timing and another ask and receive for me. I'm with Frank, Beefy is fine for lots of reason. I have some 3/8" 01 to put some compound bends in 3 different pieces. Like the dogpoint swivel idea. Not sure I have the stock for this but I'll get creative. Thanks for the great idea!

BTW I got some rubber dip for my tweezers...works great. I'll probably be a dipping fool from now on. Thanks for the tip!

Regards,
    ~PJ
    ‘‘Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.’’
    Mark Twain

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PJs For This Useful Post:

greyhoundollie (Sep 6, 2018), Paul Jones (Sep 14, 2016)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts

Thanks mklotz! We've added your Bender to our Metalworking category,
    as well as to your builder page: mklotz's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Marv Looks nice and simple. How big of a diameter rod can you bend. I just bought steel this morning to build a bender was going to go with the HF style, you may have changed my mind.

Thanks

mklotz's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by G.Paul View Post
    Marv Looks nice and simple. How big of a diameter rod can you bend. I just bought steel this morning to build a bender was going to go with the HF style, you may have changed my mind.
    I really don't know what its (wire/sheet) upper limits are; I've never attempted to bend anything that it couldn't handle. When I do bigger stock I automatically go to the German kit mentioned in the post.

Just as a guess, I don't think I'd try anything bigger than 3/16" in steel, maybe a bit bigger in brass.

Its real advantage is its small size and simplistic setup.
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware

Thanks

Okapi's Tools
    Hi mklotz,
    Really a nice work, and very clean for the use, as a maker of a similar tool for silver or gold wire I use in reparation, can i suggest you an idea if you have to curve flat or round really little sized metal when you do to have a curve perfectly round from the beginning.
    Just make a pin with an eccentric center for the center hole, fixed by screw or just holding with a key, then you can make a pressure on the first millimeter if you want and the metal cannot slip, this is especially usable for flat wire( I can hold 0,6mm. flat gold wire for example) to insert into an existing slit. ;-)
    Have a nice day.
    Pierre

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Okapi For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Sep 14, 2016), Toolmaker51 (Dec 28, 2017)

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Marv can you elaborate on the german bender i don't see it in your post

Thanks
    Excellent, thank you for sharing. How did you determine the hole position in the "table"?
    Last edited by Jeff Michel; Sep 14, 2016 at 02:39 AM.

Thanks

mklotz's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Michel View Post
    Excellent, thank you for sharing. How did you determine the hole position in the "table"?
    The hole positions are calculated from the equation for an Archimedian spiral, r = a + b*theta. However, there's nothing sacred about their location. If you build your own you can place the holes according to your personal requirements.
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware

Thread Information