Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Belt sander dust collection and 10" disc sander

Thanks

mr95gst's Tools

Belt sander dust collection and 10" disc sander

My parents have had (2) 4" wide belt sanders in their shop for 15+ years. I quietly helped myself to one of them a couple months back. For as long as I can remember, neither of them have had the mounting plates for the disc attachment. Both have an exposed shaft where the disc would be mounted. I am not sure if both were removed and lost or if delta/craftman sold them that way. I have been envious of everyone's homemade disc sanders I keep seeing on the internet. Since I already had a good foundation with the belt sander, I figured I would give it a try.

I guess it originally came with a 6" disc. I knew I wanted something much bigger. I researched online and found that you can no longer buy the factory aluminum disc mounting plate. That would have made it too easy. I started by making the collar with a piece of maple. I drilled it for the shaft and threaded a set screw. I used the power from the belt sander to turn it down like a lathe. The mounting collar has a concentric shaft turned in it so that it presses into the disk. The disc is made from melamine. I turned down the 10" radius the same way I did the collar.

*****PHOTOBUCKET HIJACKED MY PICTURES SO I HAVE EDITED THE POST TO ADD THE PICTURES BACK. THEY ARE NO LONGER IN ORDER TO MATCH COMMENTARY MADE WHEN THE THREAD WAS STARTED. MORE PICTURES ADDED TO THE END OF THE THREAD.

Once I had the disc portion done, I moved my attention to the belt sander side. The rear dust collection port has a pass through to the disk area. I kind of just eyeballed these pieces. I just started cutting and adding pieces here and there. It turned out a little more complex than I anticipated, but it was a fun geometric exercise.

The hose attachment has two sizes. I can use my shopvac hose or my smaller vacuum hose.

The motor is only a 1/3 horsepower. The disk is on the heavy side. I have noticed that it takes a split second longer to get up to speed than with just the belt. Once it does it runs good and strong. When using the shopvac, almost all of the dust is collected when using the 4" belt. When using the disc, I have found that dust tends to collect under the disk. The vacuum is pulling enough to prevent most of the debris from being tossed in the air, but not enough pull to keep that area clean. Since the vacuum hookup is so close to the wide open mouth behind the belt, I am losing most of the vacuum before it gets to the disk portion. I think I can remedy this by moving the hose attachment to the disc side. That will solve the disc side, and since the disc side is more enclosed, I should still have enough pull behind the belt. Only one way to find out...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Belt sander dust collection and 10" disc sander-imag1530.jpg   Belt sander dust collection and 10" disc sander-imag1531.jpg   Belt sander dust collection and 10" disc sander-imag1532.jpg   Belt sander dust collection and 10" disc sander-imag1533.jpg   Belt sander dust collection and 10" disc sander-imag1534.jpg  

Belt sander dust collection and 10" disc sander-imag1535.jpg   Belt sander dust collection and 10" disc sander-imag1536.jpg   Belt sander dust collection and 10" disc sander-imag1537.jpg   Belt sander dust collection and 10" disc sander-imag1550.jpg   Belt sander dust collection and 10" disc sander-imag1551.jpg  

Belt sander dust collection and 10" disc sander-imag1552.jpg  

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by mr95gst; Sep 11, 2017 at 03:52 PM.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mr95gst For This Useful Post:

Jon (Jul 27, 2015), kadambi (Jul 28, 2015), kbalch (Jul 28, 2015), PJs (Jul 28, 2015), Seedtick (Sep 11, 2017)

Thanks

kadambi's Tools

disc sander

It is very nice. Since I am soon taking up this sort of adding a disc sander to my 3x21 belt sander, I had seen your built and write up very closely and I liked it very much. Numerous photos from different angles and for each stage of built is very useful for me to understand the build clearly. Thanks for sharing such detailed post on this forum

Mine is a hand held belt sander and doesnot provide a ready flat surface to mount it in a horizontal position, to that extent i have to modify the build, I have procured a 10" turned wooden disk and also a 12" 120 grit sanding paper which i can paste it on the disc.

Once i complete the built i would share the details.

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    Thanks mr95gst! I've added your Disc Sander and Belt Sander Dust Collector to, respectively, our Disc Sanders and Dust Collectors categories, as well as to your builder page: mr95gst's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

Supporting Member
    Thanks

Manitoba Man's Tools
    Mr.95GSt

Kudos on the great idea, photos and write-up. I ave the same sander and the original disc was wobbly and loose due to having been too lightly built, having only one set screw and having been run loose. So, the hole int he back of the disc was "buttered out" as we say in my first language. I must try this, thanks for the inspiration.

Bob

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts
    That's a very nice conversion! Now I am envious of your tool.

Thanks
    Hi mr95gst,

Very nice work! Your Belt Sander Dust Collector is the 'Tool of the Week'!

As you've already received one of our official HomemadeTools.net T-shirts, we'd be glad to award you a $25 online gift card from GiftRocket.

Just let me have (via PM) your email address for the gift card and we'll get things processed directly.

Congrats!

Ken

8. The Following User Says Thank You to kbalch For This Useful Post:

mr95gst (Jul 31, 2015)

Thanks
    This thread has been moved to the Must Read subforum. Congrats (and thanks) to mr95gst for making such a valuable contribution!

Thanks

mr95gst's Tools
    I would like to thank my dad for helping me win this award. Particularly since he will read this and realize his second sander is missing...

Thanks
    Thanks for inspiring post -- lots of excellent photos, and a great build - going into my queue of "to builds"

Thanks

mr95gst's Tools
    MORE PICTURES
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Belt sander dust collection and 10" disc sander-imag1553.jpg   Belt sander dust collection and 10" disc sander-imag1554.jpg   Belt sander dust collection and 10" disc sander-imag1555.jpg   Belt sander dust collection and 10" disc sander-imag1556.jpg   Belt sander dust collection and 10" disc sander-imag1557.jpg  

Belt sander dust collection and 10" disc sander-imag1558.jpg   Belt sander dust collection and 10" disc sander-imag1559.jpg   Belt sander dust collection and 10" disc sander-imag1560.jpg   Belt sander dust collection and 10" disc sander-imag1561.jpg   Belt sander dust collection and 10" disc sander-imag1562.jpg  

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information