Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: C-Clamp Swivel Pad Fix-Short Version (4K)

Thanks

tsbrownie's Tools

C-Clamp Swivel Pad Fix-Short Version (4K)

This is the short, 3 minute, version of my C-clamp fix without all the other methods I considered along the way.
    I've had this broken C clamp sitting on my work table for 4+ years. Today I'm going to fix it or toss it.

It is stronger than new.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to tsbrownie For This Useful Post:

Andyt (Jan 18, 2022), asterix (Jan 24, 2022), baja (Feb 6, 2024), bigtrev8xl (Jan 18, 2022), Drew1966 (Jan 23, 2022), elk-a-holic (Jan 24, 2022), Jon (Jan 20, 2022), lassab999 (Feb 5, 2024), Moby Duck (Jan 23, 2022), Philip Davies (Jan 18, 2022), schuylergrace (Jan 23, 2022), Slim-123 (Jan 22, 2022), thinkbackwards (Jan 19, 2022), Toolmaker51 (Jan 19, 2022)

Supporting Member TrickieDickie's Avatar
    Thanks
    I used a pin punch and it worked successfully

2000 Tool Plans

4. The Following User Says Thank You to TrickieDickie For This Useful Post:

tsbrownie (Jan 17, 2022)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts

Thanks tsbrownie! We've added your C-Clamp Swivel Pad Fix to our Clamps category,
    as well as to your builder page: tsbrownie's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

6. The Following User Says Thank You to DIYer For This Useful Post:

tsbrownie (Jan 18, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,977 Times in 1,892 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    I've never thought of welding them, or using a washer to alter the hole size. Good show tsbrownie.

The clamps I have here are missing pads. They hang in the corner, waiting for "it's time" to fix them all. Easier to do multiples of alike pads than one at-a-time.

Machining is straight forward with a hole almost 2 diameters [of the ball] deep and somewhat larger diameter. Too tight, and the swivel action binds. Have used both ball end mills and plain old drill point for the bottom.

The open end needs decent thickness to retain forming the closure, not so thick requiring heavy blows. Before parting off, hack or band saw across the opening, in 2 cuts 90° apart.
    To assemble, I don't oil them, graphite is better. Tighten the screw with pad in place, to a sturdy piece of plate, clamp body in a vise, right against underside of plate. Close the end more downward than from the side; just enough to hold, with firm, well placed hits. Some will use a rounded punch, others a ball peen.

Have repaired many clamps over the years, often those little 2 inchers. Good brands (US and Europe) make it worthwhile, they're of good malleable material. Pull out the screw and wire brush it, deburr internal threads of frame, straighten the screw & Tee handle, reassemble with that new pad!
    Occasionally a frame is bent, that's more of a challenge due to shape of the forging. A heavy arbor press or at least 20T hydraulic is usually needed; with a handful of wedges and shims, to direct pressure in direction required.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Toolmaker51 For This Useful Post:

tsbrownie (Jan 20, 2022)

Thread Information