Quote Originally Posted by hemmjo View Post
It is unfortunate that so many people do not have a basic understanding of insurance. I know that I certainly did not when I was younger. It took a couple of situations to get me to pay more attention to it. There are good companies, and bad companies. The cut rate companies that specialize in minimum coverage policies are the worst.

Basically, the more you have "at risk" the more you need to understand the coverage you are paying for. Be sure you look at the "exemptions" listed on your policy for things that are not covered. A GOOD agent is very worth while if you can find one.
Fortunately I have never had to file a claim but the coverage is there when something happens. I say when because I don't play the game of if. Just like you when I was younger I either didn't understand or chose to ignore the real possibilities of life's circumstances. My agent calls me anytime the crazy underwriter's decide they are going to arbitrarily make changes without informing people of their options. There have been times when his calls benefited me with much better coverages sometimes at no extra costs and due to the lower risk of myself and the lower amount of claims in my area my overall premiums have gone down on occasion. I have a separate business insurance with a good umbrella but since my shop is included in my homestead the building and content falls under that for any non business related event. for that reason I have a lease agreement between myself and my LLC to prevent any gap