Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Chop Saw Repeatable Cut Stop Mod

Thanks

bobs409's Tools

Chop Saw Repeatable Cut Stop Mod

I fabricated and added this stop arm to my Evolution chop saw to allow multiple small parts to be cut all to the same measurement. I needed a bunch of 2" aluminum square tube pieces cut to a 2 inch length so this was the perfect time to make this jig. (it works perfectly!)

It's made from 1018 steel mostly from my scrap bin. A round "socket" is permanently bolted onto the side of the saw. The rest of the stop jig is stored in a nice aluminum case I had saved from a lathe tool set I bought years ago. (I knew I'd find a use for that!) lol

Just insert the stop arm into the socket and snug down the allen set screw. Then set the stop collar to match the length of part needed. Once that is set, you can move the stop arm up to it, set the part in place and move the arm back again for safety. This allows repeatable parts cut all to the same length. In my testing, I made 10 pieces and all were exactly 2 inches as I set it to.

In my case, I was able to leave the stop in place by putting it at the back edge of the part because I had no binding. After the cut was made, the part jumped forward and did not get pinched however if you experience binding, you could always use the method I mentioned with the stop collar moving the arm away each time a cut is made.

This mod will work on cold cut chop saws like mine or the abrasive type and even on band saws!

Chop Saw Repeatable Cut Stop Mod-stop1.jpgChop Saw Repeatable Cut Stop Mod-stop2.jpgChop Saw Repeatable Cut Stop Mod-stop3.jpgChop Saw Repeatable Cut Stop Mod-stop4.jpgChop Saw Repeatable Cut Stop Mod-stop5.jpgChop Saw Repeatable Cut Stop Mod-stop6.jpgChop Saw Repeatable Cut Stop Mod-stop7.jpg

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to bobs409 For This Useful Post:

dubbby (Apr 24, 2020), Jon (Apr 30, 2020), mklotz (Apr 23, 2020), Moby Duck (Apr 26, 2020), Paul Jones (Apr 24, 2020), Whiteboardwarriors2 (Apr 25, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,391 Times in 2,118 Posts

mklotz's Tools
    Kudos to you for including the stop collar and describing its use.

Inspired by another forum, I added a stop collar to my little hand vise...

A stop stop

I didn't realize how handy it was until I started using it. I haven't added one to my 4 x 6 bandsaw yet but that job is in the queue.

2000 Tool Plans
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

4. The Following User Says Thank You to mklotz For This Useful Post:

bobs409 (Apr 23, 2020)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,852 Times in 1,653 Posts

Thanks bobs409! We've added your Chop Saw Stop to our Metalworking category,
    as well as to your builder page: bobs409's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

6. The Following User Says Thank You to DIYer For This Useful Post:

bobs409 (Apr 23, 2020)

Thread Information