Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Clean Welding Magnets in Seconds

Thanks
    Thanked 1,449 Times in 822 Posts

hemmjo's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by jdurand View Post
    ...snip.. and your spouses socks who wasn't even in the shop.
    I think this upsets my wife more than any of the others things I might do to upset her.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,852 Times in 1,653 Posts

Thanks projectswithrich! We've added your Welding Magnet Cleaning Method to our Cleaning category,
    as well as to your builder page: projectswithrich's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    I usually use a wire brush and aim the swarf at my bin. I have always been rather wary of compressed air. It is inclined to have unpredictable results. Magnets are so handy in the workshop, but that always comes at a price.

Thanks

WmRMeyers's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Hans Pearson View Post
    I usually use a wire brush and aim the swarf at my bin. I have always been rather wary of compressed air. It is inclined to have unpredictable results. Magnets are so handy in the workshop, but that always comes at a price.
    True that. I generally place magnets in a ziplock bag, or at least wrap them in a plastic shopping bag. Makes it much easier to get the swarf where I want it instead of all over the shop and machines.

Bill

Thanks

WmRMeyers's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by jdurand View Post
    The bits land on the pile of magnets he hasn't cleaned off yet.

They will also get into you socks and your spouses socks who wasn't even in the shop.
    Around my place that would be a great way to lose all my wife's forbearance, and even support of my machining hobby... Ain't going there! I'm crazy, not stupid!

Bill

Supporting Member
    Thanks

magnets

Quote Originally Posted by projectswithrich View Post
    This is the fastest way I have found to clean welding magnets and other magnets in the shop. I also cover safety concerns and talk about the specific tools I use and recommend.

If U put the magnets in the bags before U use them then all U have to do is turn the bag inside out and remove a clean magnet.

Thanks
    The worst are the thin slithers of metal that attach to clothing and work their way through and your forever suddenly being stuck (even pierced if unlucky) a sharp painful something.
    This is not a great idea within a shop.

Supporting Member projectswithrich's Avatar
    Thanks

projectswithrich's Tools
    With regards to getting pieces stuck in clothing, what has made the biggest difference was starting to wear a leather apron while in the shop. And wearing long pants under them so nothing gets in my socks/shoes. It also saves my shirts from grinding sparks so they now last years. For splinters, "Uncle Bill's Sliver Grippers" are great USA made tweezers. Those along with a good 10x jeweler's loupe make short work of splinters. Belomo makes a nice one.
    My Youtube Channel:
    Projects with Rich - YouTube

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by projectswithrich View Post
    With regards to getting pieces stuck in clothing, what has made the biggest difference was starting to wear a leather apron while in the shop. And wearing long pants under them so nothing gets in my socks/shoes. It also saves my shirts from grinding sparks so they now last years. For splinters, "Uncle Bill's Sliver Grippers" are great USA made tweezers. Those along with a good 10x jeweler's loupe make short work of splinters. Belomo makes a nice one.
    Good advice!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,981 Times in 1,893 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Tweezers are common go-to. Even cheap ones can be lapped into a very tight parallel grip with fine wet or dry paper.
    Finish sides first to point desired with tips lightly closed to prepare a clean corner (think of vise jaws).
    Close jaws on on the paper (1 thickness) and draw out slowly and 'flat'. Do other side in same manner.
    There won't be anything too small to grip.
    But digging splinters is tedious; I nip them and shallow surrounding skin out with a nail clipper if below surface. Those that protrude slightly, extract with a sharp knife in a light shaving motion. Burrs have burrs and the edge catches them.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Thread Information