Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Cold smoked meat

Thanks
    (continued)
    Then we add other things for taste: 2.8% Salt, milled black pepper, hot pepper, chilli, red sweet pepper powder, garlic juice, add sugar someone (just a little). How to know a good quantity? Simply make a small hamburger that you throw on the pan and after the baking you taste it. When this baked hamburger will be little more salty and a little more hotter- the sausages will be the best for you because they will lose it after drying. If you want to have more hotter sausages- you can add more hot chili powder.
    Notes from me: (her!)---feather-ruffling time!
    We never add so much salt to meat for sausages !!! We add 2.4% of salt. Also he wrote that he cut fat on cubes 15x15x15 mm---- it is too big, giant pieces of fat !!! Disgusting !!! I will never eat sausages with the big pieces of fat !!! The pieces of fat need to be more smaller- max. 3x3x3 mm. We have here special machines for cutting fat on small cubes.

Also we add nitrites salt- small part ... Also we add a big spoon of sugar ... The color of sausages will be red after drying .... If you will not add nitrite salt to meat- the color of sausages will be dark after drying ...

Will continue tomorrow ...

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following User Says Thank You to matermark For This Useful Post:

volodar (May 14, 2020)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by matermark View Post
    My local butcher shop sells slab bacon, pea meal bacon, and "Canadian bacon" (unless someone tells me it's the same as pea meal...)
    I'll be the someone to tell you pea meal bacon is the "true" Canadian bacon, and what we Americans call "Canadian bacon", isn't Canada's Canadian bacon, but cured and smoked boneless pork loin. Go figure.

PS: Thanks for your "girl's" (not to start a gender argument) translation, but I have to disagree; 15mm isn't too large - just look at mortadella and lardo di colonnata!

2000 Tool Plans

4. The Following User Says Thank You to KJ1I For This Useful Post:

PJs (Jul 5, 2018)

Thanks

darkoford's Tools
    The plate, through which meat is fed, has 13-18mm holes, so the cut bacon is not large 15x15x15 mm

Cold smoked meat-ccccc.jpg

Larger cut pieces of meat and biscuits give a specific look and sausages are more compact. The plate 3mm:

Cold smoked meat-wwww.jpg

We get another type of sausage:

Cold smoked meat-ddddddddddddddd.jpg

nitrites salt- small part I never use it because it is harmful to health, allegedly carcinogenic. Industries are used because they are working with old meat because of the possibility of corruption.
    You get a red color of meat with sugar.

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    "I cut the fat into small cubes of 1.5 x 1.5 x 1.5 mm." I think you mean cubes of 1.5 x 1.5 x 1.5 cm. Your pictures make my mouth water. Must get back to making sausage! Have lately been making jerky from pork loin - marinaded, then air dried, 20 C about day and a half. Miss my Italian type sausage, also cured and air dried.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by KJ1I View Post
    I'll be the someone to tell you pea meal bacon is the "true" Canadian bacon, and what we Americans call "Canadian bacon", isn't Canada's Canadian bacon, but cured and smoked boneless pork loin. Go figure.

PS: Thanks for your "girl's" (not to start a gender argument) translation, but I have to disagree; 15mm isn't too large - just look at mortadella and lardo di colonnata!
    I'm not positive where this should continue but because it would logically be in order, as well as her comment about being overworked and mortadella reply, I'll post here; I have been busy migrating tons of software and email accounts from a defective laptop to a warranty replacement as well as looking for a better cell phone so have been very busy; "my girl" usually emails me a few times per day and haven't heard from her for a few days, I think Thursday of last week? which is not like her--something must be wrong....

Her email, edited to stay on topic about sausage smoking, this recipe translation, etc.:

On Mon, Aug 28, 2017 at 5:19 PM, Tatjana XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX wrote:
    Hi my dear friend, I returned home today from hospital...
    I collapsed on the floor on Thursday. Need to rest more. It is very hot here- it was last week and it will be all this week........ ..
    I don't know about this cutting fat on cubes 15X15x15 mm. I will ask my friend here- I heard that they have this machine for cutting pork's fat. How much big cubes did they cut...
    Mortadela is giant salami...
    And I know that 2,8 % salt is too much. Sausages will be too much salted. We always put 2,3 or 2,4 % salt. Not more!
    I need to see on sausages or hot dogs packing- which salt is added- nitrate salt or nitrite salt. I don't know which the difference between them.
    I just find chemical formula of this salt- NaCl+NaNO2 (natrij klorid+natrij nitrit)- or E250...

Thanks

darkoford's Tools
    3 types of salt for salamurification: 3% sodium or potassium nitrate with 0.5% sodium nitrate and nitrite salt, ie salt mixture and 0.5% sodium nitrite and 0.9% potassium nitrate.
    As a cumulative poison, nitrite builds up in the body and causes the long-term:
    - cancer
    - Difficulty breathing
    - dizziness
    - headache
    - hyperactivity
    Nitric salts in the stomach react with food proteins and give the carcinogenic substance nitrozoamine. It also leads to oxidation of hemoglobin, which loses its ability to bind and transport oxygen to the blood!

Just 1.5% of the salt is enough if you keep sausages in the freezer but are kept out all year except for a minimum of 2.8% salt. Somehow time consumes salt from meat, as well as other spices.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by darkoford View Post
    3 types of salt for salamurification: 3% sodium or potassium nitrate with 0.5% sodium nitrate and nitrite salt, ie salt mixture and 0.5% sodium nitrite and 0.9% potassium nitrate.
    As a cumulative poison, nitrite builds up in the body and causes the long-term:
    - cancer
    - Difficulty breathing
    - dizziness
    - headache
    - hyperactivity
    Nitric salts in the stomach react with food proteins and give the carcinogenic substance nitrozoamine. It also leads to oxidation of hemoglobin, which loses its ability to bind and transport oxygen to the blood!

Just 1.5% of the salt is enough if you keep sausages in the freezer but are kept out all year except for a minimum of 2.8% salt. Somehow time consumes salt from meat, as well as other spices.
    She wrote:

"When we buying anything from meat products from meat industry- salami, sausages, hot dogs and so on- all this contains nitrite salt- E250...
    Also as I said- we add just 2,3-2,4 % of salt and drying sausages without any problems. When the sausages are dry enough- we vakuum them in special bags and store them in refrigirator or freeze them. And never mix meat by several days..."

Thanks
    CONTINUE translation:

Caliber (EDIT--Casing size) is again a matter of taste and speed of drying. I always do a few pair of sausages in pig's small intestine fi32mm. They are fast dry.
    Serious calibres are start from 45mm in which fit 700gr of meat, in 50mm goes 900gr and in 55mm - 1100gr. Of course weight depends on the meat and the way of filling. In that 55mm caliber goes 1500gr meat
    from wild pig.

(
    EDIT--From her: "Caliber, it is the size of casings, diameter... We say here- fi34, 36, 38, and so on until 46 - it is for natural pig's small intestines. artificial casings- always have diameter- fi45, 50, 55 and so on...")
    Last edited by matermark; Sep 1, 2017 at 10:02 AM.

Thanks
    I love summer Sassage there are lots of You tube vids about it

Thanks
    Great use for an old fuel tank. Tell us how you cleaned it, please.

Thread Information