Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Countersink Inside a tube

Supporting Member editor@glue-it.com's Avatar
    Thanks

editor@glue-it.com's Tools

Countersink Inside a tube

I needed to countersink a hole inside the case of a model engine so that I could fit a bracket. The only way I could think of doing it was to make an extension for the countersink with a small drive shaft - by default the countersink head is bigger in diameter than the hole it is countersinking. Even with holes opposite each other this would be a difficult problem to solve.

Countersink Inside a tube-poppet-056.jpg

in action

Countersink Inside a tube-poppet-058.jpg

or nearly in action as I ended up driving it with a small hadnheld electric drill.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to editor@glue-it.com For This Useful Post:

baja (Apr 7, 2020), bruce.desertrat (Apr 7, 2020), HobieDave (Apr 5, 2020), HUMARIA (Apr 7, 2020), jackhoying (Apr 6, 2020), Jon (Apr 6, 2020), mklotz (Apr 5, 2020), Okapi (Apr 7, 2020), olderdan (Apr 5, 2020), Paul Jones (Apr 6, 2020), rgsparber (Apr 5, 2020), Toolmaker51 (Aug 28, 2022), Tule (Apr 7, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,378 Times in 2,116 Posts

mklotz's Tools
    There are tools made to countersink the otherwise inaccessible back side of a hole but such tools would have been expensive overkill for your problem.

Your solution of constructing the needed tool inside the obstruction is an ingenious technique that should be in everyone's mental quiver of unusual solutions. Good on you.

2000 Tool Plans
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mklotz For This Useful Post:

baja (Apr 7, 2020), Paul Jones (Apr 6, 2020), Toolmaker51 (Aug 28, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,763 Times in 650 Posts

rgsparber's Tools
    I wonder if this could be done with something like the mechanism used in expanding anchors. Slide the tool into the hole, turn a screw to expand the end, and then back out as the reverse countersink is cut. Then turn the screw the other way to collapse the cutter and retract the tool. Not a lot of room for the mechanism.

As long as we are cutting AL, it could be made from mild steel. Beyond that, use oil or water hardened drill rod.

Rick
    Rick

Thanks

mklotz's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by rgsparber View Post
    I wonder if this could be done with something like the mechanism used in expanding anchors. Slide the tool into the hole, turn a screw to expand the end, and then back out as the reverse countersink is cut. Then turn the screw the other way to collapse the cutter and retract the tool. Not a lot of room for the mechanism.

As long as we are cutting AL, it could be made from mild steel. Beyond that, use oil or water hardened drill rod.

Rick
    Most of the commercial tools I've seen pictured do essentially what you suggest. Actually, I think the physics of the situation demand that sort of solution. But, as I said, they would be expensive overkill if you have some access to the backside of the hole as was the case with the OP.
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware

Thanks

mklotz's Tools
    Another possible technique is a cutter with an inverted cone shape, i.e., the cutting end flares outward from the shaft at the tip, major diameter at the very end of the tool (picture a router dovetail bit, only much smaller). If the diameter of the cutter is small enough to pass through the hole and the angle of the cone matches the required countersink angle, then insert tool through hole and move around in small circle to cut the countersink. Recenter to withdraw from hole.

The geometry works but I sure wouldn't want to be the guy tasked to make it work in practice.
    Last edited by mklotz; Apr 5, 2020 at 10:57 AM.
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mklotz View Post
    There are tools made to countersink the otherwise inaccessible back side of a hole but such tools would have been expensive overkill for your problem.

Your solution of constructing the needed tool inside the obstruction is an ingenious technique that should be in everyone's mental quiver of unusual solutions. Good on you.
    Thanks, the thing is when you need a tool like this you need it fairly urgently and hence making it was a good option

Cheers, Nigel

Thanks

rgsparber's Tools
    Just a thought experiment - picture a countersink with the shank coming out the end where the point normally is. Slip in from the back side, chuck into your drill, and pull as it turns.

Rick
    Rick

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts

Thanks editor@glue-it.com! We've added your Countersink Extension to our Fastening category,
    as well as to your builder page: editor@glue-it.com's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

Thanks

rgsparber's Tools
    I see countersinks that slide over a drill bit so you can drill the hole and countersink in one operation. Replace the drill bit with a rod and you have a “reverse countersink “. Feed the tool in from the back side, chuck the rod in a drill, pull trigger while pulling away from the surface.

Rick

Thanks

Anybody fancy building and sharing some of the different countersink options?

Thread Information