Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Crane overturns while erecting tilt-up wall - GIF

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,811 Times in 9,918 Posts

Crane overturns while erecting tilt-up wall - GIF

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Altair For This Useful Post:

durrelltn (Nov 6, 2022), nova_robotics (Oct 17, 2022), Ralphxyz (Oct 18, 2022), Rangi (Oct 22, 2022), that_other_guy (Oct 17, 2022)

Thanks

IntheGroove's Tools
    Bragg Crane Service is a pretty big company, I am surprised this happened...

2000 Tool Plans

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,148 Times in 619 Posts

nova_robotics's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by IntheGroove View Post
    Bragg Crane Service is a pretty big company, I am surprised this happened...
    I dunno. Every crane company I've ever worked with, big or small, has about 25% of their operators that are complete yahoos and will run the machine way past chart. And in Canada these are red seal ticketed journeymen. It's always old farts who "know better" than the computer. The young guys are still too timid to do anything stupid. I've seen some catastrophes, including one really bad injury. It basically liquified some guy's leg. He spent 6 months in the hospital before I changed jobs and lost track of him. 6 months later they were still talking about amputating his leg.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to nova_robotics For This Useful Post:

mwmkravchenko (Oct 22, 2022)

Supporting Member thevillageinn's Avatar
    Thanks

thevillageinn's Tools
    Those structures intimidate me, particularly as they are being constructed.

Thanks

NeiljohnUK's Tools
    Seen this sort of thing before: Crane collapses due to bad rigging - GIF

Thanks

Ralphxyz's Tools
    The way the panel was rigged was asking for trouble.

Ralph

Thanks
    Thanked 8,789 Times in 4,207 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Ralphxyz View Post
    The way the panel was rigged was asking for trouble.

Ralph
    In this case the rigging is not the source of the failure. The lifting points are engineered into the design of the casting of the wall panels made right into the reinforcing steel inside of the panels. the use of pulleys on the slings is also how the transition from horizontal to as near vertical as possible. due to the location of the lifting points and the way the slings are rigged allows the wall slab to be supported and kept from buckling as it is raised.
    The cause of the crane toppling was because the car body or track carriage was perpendicular to the crane boom this is also acceptable in most cases, but the crane was just a little too far away from where the wall needed to be erected, or a miscalculation in the amount of counterweight required. But in my opinion since it is evident they had already aet at least 2 of the full-sized panels and 1 panel with a door opening it might be that this panel may have been just a little bit thicker than the previous panels. As large as those panels are it would be entirely possible to have an extra of concrete and the extra thickness not be noticed at the edges
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

Thanks

trinketman's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    In this case the rigging is not the source of the failure. The lifting points are engineered into the design of the casting of the wall panels made right into the reinforcing steel inside of the panels. the use of pulleys on the slings is also how the transition from horizontal to as near vertical as possible. due to the location of the lifting points and the way the slings are rigged allows the wall slab to be supported and kept from buckling as it is raised.
    The cause of the crane toppling was because the car body or track carriage was perpendicular to the crane boom this is also acceptable in most cases, but the crane was just a little too far away from where the wall needed to be erected, or a miscalculation in the amount of counterweight required. But in my opinion since it is evident they had already aet at least 2 of the full-sized panels and 1 panel with a door opening it might be that this panel may have been just a little bit thicker than the previous panels. As large as those panels are it would be entirely possible to have an extra of concrete and the extra thickness not be noticed at the edges
    Agreed. I've worked on several tilt up's. Most of ours were 16ft walls. These look taller. The whole structure is pretty shakey in general until the bar joists are set. And we just had one near Edwardsville ,IL , Amazon collapse during a storm.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to trinketman For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 8,789 Times in 4,207 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by trinketman View Post
    Agreed. I've worked on several tilt up's. Most of ours were 16ft walls. These look taller. The whole structure is pretty shakey in general until the bar joists are set. And we just had one near Edwardsville ,IL , Amazon collapse during a storm.
    I've been on job sites where they were trying to stand those short 15 or16 foot tall panels with a telehandler, nothing but an open invitation for a disaster.
    How would you have liked to be on this job site? I would have paid admission to watch that one
    https://www.concreteconstruction.net...ilt-up-panel_o
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks

trinketman's Tools
    I think I might have been so tight bunged it would be very hard to do #2. These jobs made a lot of work for 90 days then nothing. Ate up real estate. Sprouted like mushrooms. The first one I worked to 15 minutes to walk diagonally. Then they got bigger.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information