Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Cutting and trimming clay tiles - GIFs

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,706 Times in 9,871 Posts

Cutting and trimming clay tiles - GIFs

Cutting and trimming clay tiles.

Previously:

Traditional tile manufacturing by hand - GIF
    Tools for laying large tiles - GIF
    Cutting curves on a tile - GIF
    Breaking chimney flue tiles - GIF
    Tile hole drilling template - GIF
    Vacuum tile laying machine - video

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thanks
    Thanked 8,785 Times in 4,206 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    They're going to wear those tiles out just in handling them alone.
    Rough cut as the clay is forced out of the extruder handed off to a guy placing them on a cart then it looks like they were stacked on the ground by the guy doing the trimming with his knife and the shape form. then he stacks them once again on the ground, which means they will have to be handled again to be loaded on a cart to take them to the kiln, where someone will have to remove them from the cart and place them in the kiln. After firing they will need to be handled who knows how many times before reaching the roof of a building

2000 Tool Plans
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Supporting Member mwmkravchenko's Avatar
    Thanks
    I'm guessing that this is one of the old factories.

Chinese are all about making money. And a factory like that is all about using people to do work. But not efficiently.
    Old way of thinking.
    To bad no one is getting videos of a modern factory. They are there.

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by mwmkravchenko View Post
    I'm guessing that this is one of the old factories.

Chinese are all about making money. And a factory like that is all about using people to do work. But not efficiently.
    Old way of thinking.
    To bad no one is getting videos of a modern factory. They are there.
    I have visited several factories in China some are ultra modern to the extent of being nearly fully automated where the workers are there as overseers and to observe the machines at work, when something happens causing the machines to veer off course they merely tap a button then wait for a team to arrive to reset and correct what ever the malfunction was.
    Then on the opposite end of the spectrum there are factories which would make the turn of the 20th century New York sweat shops look like recess at kindergarten.
    But it is the little factories located in remote areas where you really can see the ingenuity of workers producing a wide array of goods sans any modern technologies at all It as at these where whole villages might immerse themselves into the toils of producing goods enabling the village to sustain itself

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

mwmkravchenko (Apr 28, 2021)

Supporting Member mwmkravchenko's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    I have visited several factories in China some are ultra modern to the extent of being nearly fully automated where the workers are there as overseers and to observe the machines at work, when something happens causing the machines to veer off course they merely tap a button then wait for a team to arrive to reset and correct what ever the malfunction was.
    Then on the opposite end of the spectrum there are factories which would make the turn of the 20th century New York sweat shops look like recess at kindergarten.
    But it is the little factories located in remote areas where you really can see the ingenuity of workers producing a wide array of goods sans any modern technologies at all It as at these where whole villages might immerse themselves into the toils of producing goods enabling the village to sustain itself
    What I admire is people willing to work hard to get something useful and positive done.

Don't give a flying two hoots about their nationality or sex.

And I agree on the factories. Seen about a dozen.

One loudspeaker company that you could literally transplant to most any developed country with little to no safety problems.

And I have been on the opposite end of the scale. We were walking up to a room I mention to my buddy hold your breathe. I recognised the smell. We walk past a very high man after we are far enough away my buddy asks why the hold your breathe? A guy was spraying polyester resin on boxes. That's the same finish applied to Pianos of high value. It latches onto your haemoglobin and will be the death of you rather quickly. People are expendable? Or the guy liked to get high? I've seen that to. But it'll be the death of you for sure.

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by mwmkravchenko View Post
    What I admire is people willing to work hard to get something useful and positive done.

Don't give a flying two hoots about their nationality or sex.

And I agree on the factories. Seen about a dozen.

A guy was spraying polyester resin on boxes. That's the same finish applied to Pianos of high value. It latches onto your haemoglobin and will be the death of you rather quickly. People are expendable? Or the guy liked to get high? I've seen that to. But it'll be the death of you for sure.
    Absolutely,

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information