Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  

User Tag List

Thread: Disc Die Punch

Supporting Member editor@glue-it.com's Avatar
    Thanks

editor@glue-it.com's Tools

Disc Die Punch

I was making buttons from 0.7mm copper sheet by cutting them out with tin-snips, drilling two holes, sanding them and then enamelling them.

However, I soon had complaints that whilst the colours were great they weren't round.

So, I made a die punch for my small 1/2 ton arbor press.

There are essentially three parts to this tool:

1. Lower alignment spigot here you can see it bolted to the lower plate on the press.
    2. Upper cutting tool die here it is upside down so you can see the cutting edge.
    3. Lower cutting tool die this is the tube and this sits over the lower spigot.

Disc Die Punch-buttons-03.jpg

The die is in 3 parts as this allows me to remove the tube and push the parts through and out. Being a tube it holds quite a few parts before I need to remove it and push them through.

The punch and top edge of the tube are hardened using case hardening, I use the EKP case hardening and it works really well.

Disc Die Punch-buttons-04.jpg

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to editor@glue-it.com For This Useful Post:

Jon (Feb 24, 2021), rlm98253 (Feb 23, 2021), sacco1 (Feb 24, 2021), Wildwilly (Feb 24, 2021)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,864 Times in 1,663 Posts

Thanks editor@glue-it.com! We've added your Disc Punch to our Metalworking category,
    as well as to your builder page: editor@glue-it.com's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2,000+ Tool Plans

4. The Following User Says Thank You to DIYer For This Useful Post:

brianr47 (Mar 1, 2021)

Thread Information