Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Dolphin's Armor medieval helmet - photos

Thanks

Okapi's Tools
    As it seems you appreciate this work on metal, you can see examples from other countries on the Museum of Geneva website : https://www.ville-ge.ch/meg/musinfo_....php?id=022384
    They have a lot of damascened works of art, this one is from the same period and it's very interesting to compare the design through the world.
    About all parts of the life made of metal were decorated by this technique in oriental cultures.
    MEG

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Supporting Member Philip Davies's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,022 Times in 343 Posts

Philip Davies's Tools
    What is the general attitude towards the use of English? Auto-correct is often irritating, and I imagine that people feel patronised if their English is corrected. I have certainly made my share of typos! On the other hand, there are contributors who are trying to improve their English, a language which has many peculiarities.

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks

Okapi's Tools
    Personally, writing in english when I was going to Bisley GB was really a torture before the possibilities of web dictionaries, actually I'm very happy when people take time to explain me what's wrong, I use paper dictionary together with the Reverso function when it's important to be very precise.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Okapi For This Useful Post:

Philip Davies (May 3, 2020)

Thanks

Philip Davies's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Okapi View Post
    Personally, writing in english when I was going to Bisley GB was really a torture before the possibilities of web dictionaries, actually I'm very happy when people take time to explain me what's wrong, I use paper dictionary together with the Reverso function when it's important to be very precise.
    Thanks. I am happy to proof-read posts, if any one would like that: that is my craft and mastership, not tool making.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Philip Davies For This Useful Post:

Okapi (May 4, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,391 Times in 2,118 Posts

mklotz's Tools
    Richard Porson, an English scholar, wrote "Life is too short to learn German". I think he missed the boat. Compared to English, German is easy to learn; it's a far more organized language (although sometimes at the expense of the precision of expression English offers).

That said, I have sincere and deep respect for any non-native speaker who attempts to write in English. An impossibly large vocabulary and a mess of irregular spelling and grammar coupled with the moving target of frequent inventions of new words and constructs make it a Sisyphean task to learn.

The only advice I can offer to native as well as non-native writers is:

Proofread what you write - this is by far the most useful way to improve your writing

Keep and use your spell checker but disable its autocorrect function..

The checker will highlight typos that produce non-words (e.g. teh) but cannot detect homophone errors (e.g. there/their/they're misuses). Autocorrectors will never work until they can understand the text the way a literate human does and that isn't going to happen in our lifetime.
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mklotz For This Useful Post:

Okapi (May 4, 2020), Philip Davies (May 3, 2020), thehomeengineer (May 3, 2020)

Thanks

Philip Davies's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by mklotz View Post
    Richard Porson, an English scholar, wrote "Life is too short to learn German". I think he missed the boat. Compared to English, German is easy to learn; it's a far more organized language (although sometimes at the expense of the precision of expression English offers).

That said, I have sincere and deep respect for any non-native speaker who attempts to write in English. An impossibly large vocabulary and a mess of irregular spelling and grammar coupled with the moving target of frequent inventions of new words and constructs make it a Sisyphean task to learn.

The only advice I can offer to native as well as non-native writers is:

Proofread what you write - this is by far the most useful way to improve your writing

Keep and use your spell checker but disable its autocorrect function..

The checker will highlight typos that produce non-words (e.g. teh) but cannot detect homophone errors (e.g. there/their/they're misuses). Autocorrectors will never work until they can understand the text the way a literate human does and that isn't going to happen in our lifetime.
    Das stimmt!

Thanks
    Thanked 6,391 Times in 2,118 Posts

mklotz's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Philip Davies View Post
    Thanks. I am happy to proof-read posts, if any one would like that: that is my craft and mastership, not tool making.
    And I've amassed a large collection of the common homophone errors I've seen in internet posts. Folks who might want a copy can PM me with their email address and I'll send it along.
    Last edited by mklotz; May 3, 2020 at 12:56 PM.
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Supporting Member thehomeengineer's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,069 Times in 407 Posts

thehomeengineer's Tools
    I am a severe dyslexic and 10 years ago I would have never posted on a site like this. Technology has made things so much easier. Don’t get me wrong I still like to confuse and give the spell checker and google a run for its money. Some post take me ages to compile and I still get told there are grammar and spelling mistakes but I have got to the point and age where I don’t care anymore. As for people posting where their first language isn’t English is brilliant.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to thehomeengineer For This Useful Post:

Frank S (May 24, 2022), mwmkravchenko (May 3, 2020), Okapi (May 4, 2020)

Thanks

DIYSwede's Tools
    Homophonic errors are not seldom seen in posts, pronunciation faults rarely.
    English is a constant PITA in this respect (compared to, say German).
    "Ortography" comes to mind, and the "ghoti" pronunciation,so often mistakenly attributed to G.B. Shaw:

Dolphin's Armor medieval helmet - photos-ghoti.gif

Link: https://languagelog.ldc.upenn.edu/nll/?p=81

I guess reforms for less spelling irregularities has been going on as long, and has been just as successful as the Metrication?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Englis...irregularities

Just couldn't resist.

Cheers

Johan

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DIYSwede For This Useful Post:

mwmkravchenko (May 3, 2020), Okapi (May 4, 2020)

Thanks

Okapi's Tools
    For me German is a nightmare since the school, because I don't like that at this moment, and after, in my working time or in shooting activities it was only Swiss-German spoken, and even if German is learned at school, Swiss prefer dialect as current language.

Thread Information