Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: DUAL PURPOSE TRACTOR LOADING RAMPS

Thanks

ranald's Tools

DUAL PURPOSE TRACTOR LOADING RAMPS

I made these ramps for loading my small John Deere tractor on my tip trailer. When midmount mower was connected, I needed to raise trailer about one foot so that the mower deck could clear the trailer end. To make this easier I truncated the top of the Expanded Mesh ramps using flat mild steel plate and welded some rod to bridge the gap to the EM. I also added a tractor pin to the plate to locate the ramps in correct position with holes in back of trailer. For uneven ground I added a hole on opposite side of the plate which a bolt would pass through it and trailer preventing tipping of ramps and tractor. length = 2.25Metres; width 300mm.

I was amazed when a manual arts teacher arrived to purchase a 'Gumtree ad' item & commented on the "great idea" of servicing my old vehicle on the ramps at the front of the carport. I decided to post this, despite it being obvious (to me) to use them that way. Plz don't shoot me for that.

DUAL PURPOSE TRACTOR LOADING RAMPS-rsz_dsc_3168.jpg DUAL PURPOSE TRACTOR LOADING RAMPS-rsz_dsc_0108-2-.jpg

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by ranald; May 2, 2020 at 09:51 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 8,787 Times in 4,206 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by ranald View Post
    I made these ramps for loading my small John Deere tractor on my tip trailer. When midmount mower was connected, I needed to raise trailer about one foot so that the mower deck could clear the trailer end. To make this easier I truncated the top of the Expanded Mesh ramps using flat mild steel plate and welded some rod to bridge the gap to the EM. I also added a tractor pin to the plate to locate the ramps in correct position with holes in back of trailer. For uneven ground I added a hole on opposite side of the plate which a bolt would pass through it and trailer preventing tipping of ramps and tractor. length = 2.25Metres; width 300mm.

I was amazed when a manual arts teacher arrived to purchase a 'Gumtree ad' item & commented on the "great idea" of servicing my old vehicle on the ramps at the front of the carport. I decided to post this, despite it being obvious (to me) to use them that way. Plz don't shoot me for that.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rsz_dsc_3168.jpg 
Views:	228 
Size:	287.4 KB 
ID:	34783 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rsz_dsc_0108 (2).jpg 
Views:	211 
Size:	194.3 KB 
ID:	34784
    You mean using trailer ramps for something like this?
    DUAL PURPOSE TRACTOR LOADING RAMPS-wp_20200110_11_58_51_richmh.jpg

DUAL PURPOSE TRACTOR LOADING RAMPS-wp_20200110_11_59_13_richmh.jpg
    How else are you going to get under something that sits 6 inches off the ground when the air suspension is in the at rest position? You don't dare crawl under one of these when the suspension is inflated to do any work as removing a single air line will get you crushed there is plenty of room to sit up under the front end once you get under there it is just getting there in the first place
    Yeah I like your duel use of your ramps
    DUAL PURPOSE TRACTOR LOADING RAMPS-wp_20200110_12_12_36_richmh.jpg

2000 Tool Plans
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks

ranald's Tools
    GREAT PICS FRANK. You know that not all folk see logic as some others do. My late bro-in-law was working under a tractor mower and said something derogatory to his step mother who immediately dropped the hydraulics on the tractor almost crushing his arm. Well he should have some chock or stand supporting the mower& avoiding the possibility of it dropping esp around a crazy person.

I guess, the man arts guy apparently/may have used ramps but not starting on something solid with a slope away to enable levelling of the ramps : i was too gobsmacked to think of his thoughts/reasoning or lack thereof.

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,852 Times in 1,653 Posts

Thanks ranald! We've added your Loading Ramps to our Trailers and Towing category,
    as well as to your builder page: ranald's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Hey Ranald I agree, not everyone sees the obvious. Just a thought, I think it might be an idea to make sure the ramps are higher at the front so if the worst should happen and the car starts to roll it will roll back into the carport and not over the front of the ramps with potentially deadly results.
    Cheers Stuart.

Thanks

ranald's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrounga View Post
    Hey Ranald I agree, not everyone sees the obvious. Just a thought, I think it might be an idea to make sure the ramps are higher at the front so if the worst should happen and the car starts to roll it will roll back into the carport and not over the front of the ramps with potentially deadly results.
    Cheers Stuart.
    I usually chock a rear wheel, not sure why I had started removal of tools, drum, new oil,old filters etc before wiping my hands to use camera: I have definately removed the tarp & some of the gear when photo was taken.

I also usually use timber log sections rather than the solid concrete block that I used there, due to safety issues.

I agree even with hand brake fully on and in first gear a vehicle can move (I was pedantic with my old truck) & a friend of mine chocks his jeep by habit when he visits as they had to do that on the flat carpark at the mine where he used to work before retirement. I dont carry chocks in my vehicle.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information