Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Electrical box explosion - GIF

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,621 Times in 11,284 Posts

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

baja (Sep 6, 2019), dubbby (Oct 4, 2020), Miloslav (Sep 5, 2019), Scotsman Hosie (Sep 11, 2019), Seedtick (Sep 5, 2019), Tule (Sep 6, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    As near as I can tell the panel box does not look to be a Mema rated weather tight box. also the wires inside look like a bird's nest. Moisture dust and insects are public enemy #1 around high voltage and high amperage electricity. Bad wiring practices rates right up there as well. I hope the guy's glove was enough to protect his fingers and hand

2000 Tool Plans
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    As near as I can tell the panel box does not look to be a Mema rated weather tight box. also the wires inside look like a bird's nest. Moisture dust and insects are public enemy #1 around high voltage and high amperage electricity. Bad wiring practices rates right up there as well. I hope the guy's glove was enough to protect his fingers and hand
    That truck is similar to some in Russia (according to some images found on the all-knowing internet), so that box is probably rated "DT" for "death trap". And, I'm pretty sure those gloves have some analogous rating, too!

Thanks

Karl_H's Tools
    He sure looks tentative as he hits the switch.

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by KarlH View Post
    He sure looks tentative as he hits the switch.
    yeah he probably was wishing for a long stick to use for the activation.

Thanks
    I am just wondering what would have that many aerial wires coming in and out of it, and be outside unprotected like that. I'll bet someone had to go home to change underwear!

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by VinnieL View Post
    I am just wondering what would have that many aerial wires coming in and out of it, and be outside unprotected like that. I'll bet someone had to go home to change underwear!
    I built up a real nice contractor's jobsite service panel for our crew to use on a large job site once. It had about 2 dozen 230v 13 amp outlets and 10 5 pin 30 to 50 and 100 amp 3ph outlets separate breakers for every outlet and supplied by a 90 mm 300 meter armored cable I had intended for only our company to use the thing but it wasn't a week until there were literally 100s of cords connected into it the cover door had been removed and wires were stacked on top of each other connected directly into the breakers.
    When I saw this and my people having to fight just to have a place to connect their power equipment I walked to the generator and pulled the mains shutting the whole project down. Then went to the job superintendent and told him on no uncertain terms was my company providing a service panel for every contractor on the job site they could provide their own or connect directly to his generator. Then went and sat with the general contractor and the consulting engineer and explained to them the same terms. No contractor or their workers were going to interfere with the scope of our companies work progress. Then I told them that we would be more than happy to provide a safe panel for the other 4 larger contractors for a price, but My panel was off limits, the smaller subs would have to work it out for themselves. It wasn't an hour later when 10 of my guys were constructing panels to rent out.
    SO yes I can and have seen that many aerial connections before on a single panel.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

hansgoudzwaard (Mar 13, 2020)

Thanks
    I am assuming this was done for demonstration purposes. I cannot imagine any experienced electrician or lineman would have terminated the wires that terribly. A side note I was a a union electrician for many years and have had a 3 phase panel “smoke phases” in my face one time. Can’t say I enjoyed it, but was definitely an experience.

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Sexy View Post
    I am assuming this was done for demonstration purposes. I cannot imagine any experienced electrician or lineman would have terminated the wires that terribly. A side note I was a a union electrician for many years and have had a 3 phase panel “smoke phases” in my face one time. Can’t say I enjoyed it, but was definitely an experience.
    The thing is this may have been done in any number of countries and was most probably used as a construction or temporary panel where just about anyone with a screw driver may have added wires to suit their needs.
    If it had been done for demonstration purposes I should think the person activating the breaker would have used a long non conducting device such as a stick to flip the breaker and not have risked personal injury.
    It could have even been a staged explosion with combustible media involved for a dramatic effect, but again if so why risk your hand

Side note he did practice the 1 hand in the panel rule LOL

Thanks

DIYSwede's Tools
    These russians probably had to change underwear as well:

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DIYSwede For This Useful Post:

mdhatter3 (Apr 1, 2023), Scotsman Hosie (Sep 11, 2019)

Thread Information