Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Fixing a Harbor Freight style Arbour Press.

Supporting Member Paul Alciatore's Avatar
    Thanks

Paul Alciatore's Tools
    That PDF is a very nice article. Thanks for posting the link. I have a 3 or 4 ton arbor press which was probably US made. I haven't had it apart to check, but I will probably do so and see if there any gibs in it.

PS: A slight further improvement would be to substitute some long set screws for those hex head bolts for the gib adjustment. They would stick out less and be less likely to injure a stray hand. Do keep the lock nuts and size the set screws to be flush with the nut after adjusting and locking with the nut. IMHO it will also look more professional.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Paul A.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul Alciatore For This Useful Post:

Sleykin (Mar 25, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,981 Times in 1,893 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Enco was never my favorite brand; but the founders Nathan & Charles Usiskin had a grasp of quality control while maintaining pricing. They were pioneers of imported machine equipment. Best point was they sourced world wide, knowing the right areas excelled at certain products. The fact MSC bought them out indicates their standing, but new owners have little evident discretion.

2000 Tool Plans
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Thanks
    Thanked 2,648 Times in 709 Posts

tonyfoale's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Alciatore View Post
    That PDF is a very nice article. Thanks for posting the link. I have a 3 or 4 ton arbor press which was probably US made. I haven't had it apart to check, but I will probably do so and see if there any gibs in it.

PS: A slight further improvement would be to substitute some long set screws for those hex head bolts for the gib adjustment. They would stick out less and be less likely to injure a stray hand. Do keep the lock nuts and size the set screws to be flush with the nut after adjusting and locking with the nut. IMHO it will also look more professional.
    The lock nuts are essential of course but I will not be spending the time to shorten the screws. I assume by set screw you mean what I would call a grub screw. The screws as fitted are what I know as set screws, i.e. a bolt threaded over the full length.

Thanks

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by tonyfoale View Post
    The lock nuts are essential of course but I will not be spending the time to shorten the screws. I assume by set screw you mean what I would call a grub screw. The screws as fitted are what I know as set screws, i.e. a bolt threaded over the full length.
    set screw = grub screw seems consistent, whether it's American English or British origin. Is it Continental (?) to call very small grub screws 'grains'?
    Meanwhile; here, a bolt threaded full length is named "tap bolt". By 'full length', implying not those threaded to the head common in shorter increments.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51

Thanks

tonyfoale's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Toolmaker51 View Post
    set screw = grub screw seems consistent, whether it's American English or British origin. Is it Continental (?) to call very small grub screws 'grains'?
    Meanwhile; here, a bolt threaded full length is named "tap bolt". By 'full length', implying not those threaded to the head common in shorter increments.
    I have never heard the name grains before nor tap bolt, but then I have led a sheltered life.
    Except for a spell of 4 days I have never worked in a machine shop or factory environment so I have not been exposed to hearing others name things. Neither were tool names high on my mother's list of things to teach me.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to tonyfoale For This Useful Post:

Toolmaker51 (Mar 23, 2022)

Thanks

Saltfever's Tools
    Since I have never been on a F-1 team I have never heard of a grub screw in my life. Only with the rise of world wide technical/mechanical content on You Tube have I been exposed to the term. This definition seems to indicate "set" or "grub" are interchangeable.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Saltfever For This Useful Post:

Toolmaker51 (Mar 24, 2022)

Thanks

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Saltfever View Post
    Since I have never been on a F-1 team I have never heard of a grub screw in my life. Only with the rise of world wide technical/mechanical content on You Tube have I been exposed to the term. This definition seems to indicate "set" or "grub" are interchangeable.
    Good ol' Wikipedia. Reliable info, in a vast majority of subjects.
    I had online college courses, one in Sociology (pointless PITA). The instructor forbade Wikipedia as resource for citation, meanwhile course book was of his own authorship. Imagine that...
    Of course, I wrote first assignment with that as citation *1.
    He graded it fully negative (as expected).
    Immediately took up case with the institution's arbitrator. Simple question, how the professors own work (commissioned, royalties) represented a more reliable slice of public view, than voluntary - random - unsolicited - contributions that make up vast content found in Wikipedia.
    Paper was regraded 99/100.
    Inspiration was comedian (George Carlin?) comments on student campus demonstrations. "Why are we paying attention to students? They're STUDENTS!"
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Toolmaker51 For This Useful Post:

Sleykin (Mar 25, 2022)

Thanks

tonyfoale's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Saltfever View Post
    I cannot imagine grub screws being used by F1 teams, not their sort of fix.
    I had forgotten but you have reminded me, I was a works manager for an F1 team in a previous life.

Wiki says <<....the term "set screw" or "setscrew" refers simply to a bolt which is fully threaded, with no smooth shank...>> which is what I have always understood.

Thanks

Saltfever's Tools
    Totally agree, Tony. I thought of the same thing before I posted it but left it in anyway to see if I would get a comment out of you! LOL I was actually inferring I have had no close European mechanical/technical involvement and so some colloquial, technical words are new to me.

I noticed “Grub” a few years ago on this forum primarily used by British and Aus/NZ contributors. I thought it was a British thing. A couple of years later Eastern European postings (with ads!) started to appear and “grub” was also being used. I then realized how extensive its use was. DTI (dial test indicator) is another commonly used term from across the pond. When I was an apprentice (before ER collets were invented) the only thing I heard was “hey kid, use a test Indicator on that”. While in the industry for the past half century, I never heard DTI until a few years ago on this forum. It’s quite interesting seeing the appearance of some words with the advent and ease of world-wide communication.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Saltfever For This Useful Post:

tonyfoale (Mar 25, 2022), Toolmaker51 (Mar 24, 2022)

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,850 Times in 11,341 Posts
    Congratulations tonyfoale - your Arbor Press Modifications are the Homemade Tool of the Week!

These are thorough instructions, and the assembled-kit-of-parts mentality is a helpful way to approach upgrading these inexpensive tools.

Some more nice builds from this week:

Tool Block by dgbreggin
    Bench Vise by Kwandotechnic
    Nail Puller by diy creative crafts
    Ball Turner by Massimo P
    Knurling Tool by Massimo P
    Drill Press Vise by bouboulas
    ESAB Welding Helmet Battery Fix by GBWM
    Rod Bender by katy
    Horizontal Bandsaw Improvements by Massimo P
    Mag Drill by Made by Dad
    Tap Follower and Die Guide by e_m_maker
    Drum Sander Dust Collector by SculptyWorks
    Nutcracker by orioncons36
    Mobile Electric Crane by fawabros
    Weed Puller by projectswithrich
    Drill Press Pulley Adaptor by Improvised DIY
    Mill Spindle Seal by Improvised DIY
    Small Engine Carburetor Plug by Improvised DIY

tonyfoale - we've added your tool entry to our All Homemade Tool of the Week winners post. And, you'll be receiving a $25 online gift card, in your choice of Amazon, PayPal, or bitcoin. Please PM me your current email address and gift card choice and I'll get it sent over right away.

This is your 14th Homemade Tool of the Week win! Here are all of your winning tools:

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

carloski (Mar 25, 2022)

Thread Information