Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Fly cutting a cylinder head - GIF

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,826 Times in 9,927 Posts

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Altair For This Useful Post:

bob_3000 (Sep 10, 2023), mwmkravchenko (Sep 4, 2023), nova_robotics (Sep 4, 2023), piper184 (Sep 4, 2023), Ralphxyz (Sep 8, 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,789 Times in 4,207 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    .004 cleanup is not bad

2000 Tool Plans
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

mwmkravchenko (Sep 4, 2023)

Supporting Member mwmkravchenko's Avatar
    Thanks
    I have to do my Tacoma block. It'll be an adventure.

Mark

Thanks
    Thanked 8,789 Times in 4,207 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by mwmkravchenko View Post
    I have to do my Tacoma block. It'll be an adventure.

Mark
    Several years back I rebuilt a 22rt that had been seriously overheated. .018" on the head and .012" on the block for a total of .030" That was too much in my opinion to maintain long term reliability. But the Machine shop just provided a thicker head gasket. and said have the customer bring the truck back to have the head retorqued after 10K miles and it should be fine. They didn't and at 50K miles the head gasket let go Some Toyota engines can take that much machined off and still retain the original thickness head gasket. other cannot, if you have to go with a thicker head gasket or even a standard one Retorque the head/s after 10 K And always use new head studs/ bolts after any rebuild. If your engine has torque stretched bolts replace them 1 at a time when retorquing.
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks

IntheGroove's Tools
    On all the old flat heads I've done, new or used gasket, run it to temperature, let cool, re-torque...

On used head gaskets, spray them with high-heat aluminum paint then soak them in water. Many of the old ones had asbestos in them...

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IntheGroove For This Useful Post:

mwmkravchenko (Sep 5, 2023), odd one (Sep 10, 2023)

Thanks

NeiljohnUK's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by IntheGroove View Post
    On all the old flat heads I've done, new or used gasket, run it to temperature, let cool, re-torque...

On used head gaskets, spray them with high-heat aluminum paint then soak them in water. Many of the old ones had asbestos in them...
    Old 1920's Rolls Royce's used a single sheet of brown wrapping paper as a head gasket, not to seal as such, but to prevent the head and block wringing together, both being hand scraped to FLAT in the factory, a friend rebuilding one couldn't believe it when he took the head off, we blue checked both on a surface plate and still flat after 80 years!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to NeiljohnUK For This Useful Post:

mwmkravchenko (Sep 5, 2023)

Supporting Member mwmkravchenko's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    Several years back I rebuilt a 22rt that had been seriously overheated. .018" on the head and .012" on the block for a total of .030" That was too much in my opinion to maintain long term reliability. But the Machine shop just provided a thicker head gasket. and said have the customer bring the truck back to have the head retorqued after 10K miles and it should be fine. They didn't and at 50K miles the head gasket let go Some Toyota engines can take that much machined off and still retain the original thickness head gasket. other cannot, if you have to go with a thicker head gasket or even a standard one Retorque the head/s after 10 K And always use new head studs/ bolts after any rebuild. If your engine has torque stretched bolts replace them 1 at a time when retorquing.
    Thanks Frank.

My rebuild experience is 7 VW diesels. A simple motor but all the principals are there. I am not sure if the Toyota's use stretch bolts. But the VW did. And I agree replace with new. I am pretty sure that this was done before and buggered. I may even try my hand at building up the block and head because it has overheated a few times. That I will determine when I get it apart. have to clean up my shop to get it in there in the first place. Winter is coming and here is starts in December until April.

Mark

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information