Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: fuel line forming tool

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools

fuel line forming tool

If you have ever had to create a sharp bend in the clear tygon tubing you know how easy it can kink.
    I bought a new replacement carburetor for a small engine the problem was it came with a straight fuel inlet instead of the 90° one the old one had
    No problem I thought I would just use a piece of 1/4" tygon tubing for the fuel line only when I tried to make it do thesharp bend rewquired to connect between the carb. and the gas tank it would kink.
    I I decided to give it a preform by making a shaping mandrel or bendable forming tool that I could insert then bend the tubing.
    THe best thing I have found for jobs like this is lead it is easily shaped into what ever form you need and will retain its shape as long as needed. and if required it can be straightened out again
    A couple of years ago I made some half round lead sticks by melting the lead and pouring it is groves for using in leading in seams and small dents in auto-body work. I found 1 that was exactly the diameter I needed when folded double.
    I inserted it in the tygon tubing then bent it to the shape I needed. I placed it in a cut open soft drink bottle then poured in boiling water and left it until the water cooled.
    to remove the forming tool I had to straighten it out somewhat but the tubing retained its shape due to being heated in the boiling water.
    Tubing and tool before forming.
    fuel line forming tool-20190115_165649.jpgb.jpg
    lead tool inserted in tubing
    fuel line forming tool-20190115_165740.jpgb.jpg
    Formed and in boiling water note the drink bottle deforming
    fuel line forming tool-20190115_170001.jpgb.jpg
    tubing now formed and cooled
    fuel line forming tool-20190115_172418.jpgb.jpg
    Lead now removed note tubing retains the formed shape
    fuel line forming tool-20190115_172540.jpgb.jpg
    Installed on the engine
    fuel line forming tool-20190115_172958.jpgb.jpg
    I hope this helps someone if they ever find the need to form plastic tubing.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

2. The Following 30 Users Say Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

Andyt (Feb 6, 2021), baja (Jan 22, 2019), Beserkleyboy (Jan 21, 2019), bigtrev8xl (Mar 26, 2019), Corm (Jan 28, 2019), DIYer (Jan 23, 2019), Drew1966 (Feb 5, 2021), drivermark (Jan 21, 2019), earl (Jan 20, 2019), ednja (Mar 26, 2019), hansgoudzwaard (Jan 21, 2019), high-side (Jan 21, 2019), HobieDave (Mar 9, 2020), Jon (Jan 21, 2019), Ken Koch (Jan 29, 2019), oldcaptainrusty (Jan 21, 2019), Paul Jones (Jan 21, 2019), PJs (Jan 22, 2019), Priemsy (Jan 27, 2019), rossbotics (Jan 22, 2019), Scotsman Hosie (Mar 27, 2019), Seedtick (Jan 21, 2019), Sleykin (Oct 9, 2023), sossol (Jan 27, 2019), stillldoinit (Jan 23, 2019), suther51 (Jan 20, 2019), that_other_guy (Jan 26, 2019), Tonyg (Jan 21, 2019), Toolmaker51 (Jan 21, 2019), wolfpaak (Jan 27, 2019)

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    My neighbor thinks I am a genius for fixing his rotor tiller it is about 7 years old just a small rear tine 18 inch Toro. For the past 3 years he has tried to get the repair center to make it run correctly. I asked him if I could borrow or rent it, he said if I had the patience to yank on the rope for half an hour and shoot starting fluid in it till it starts then run it full chokes and put up with it pulsating while it ran that I would be more than welcome to use it.
    First thing I did after bringing it home was to drain and clean out the fuel tank install a new spark plug replace the air filter then tried to start it well I imeadiatly saw what he meant. Off came the carb opened it up, NOPE no since even trying to clean out that corroded thing I searched and searched the number and all I came up with was one that had the straight fuel inlet. OK $12.00 is cheap enough the throttle and choke and mounting on both ends plus venturi size all matched up .
    After I installed it filled the tank gave it about a half choke pulled the rope 1 time let it run a few seconds opened the choke gave it full throttle shut it off changed the oil, I had no idea if he ever had and wasn't going to risk running it on oil that could have been several years old for a few hours. Drained and refilled the gear box then tilled with it for 2 full tank fulls
    I called him up and said Billy listen to this holding the phone in 1 hand I pulled the rope with the other 1 time. Sid you hear that? That is your tiller 5 minutes later he had drove over cranked it for himself then ran it in my garden for an hour Then had the gall to ask me how much he owed me Hey I borrowed it because I needed something smaller than my tractor to get in the garden I was willing to pay to rent one and he wanted to pay me for doing nothing but getting it running by spending less than $25.00 NO way I'm charging.

2000 Tool Plans

4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

baja (Jan 22, 2019), Drew1966 (Feb 5, 2021), hansgoudzwaard (Jan 21, 2019), olderdan (Jan 22, 2019), PJs (Jan 22, 2019), Scotsman Hosie (Mar 27, 2019), Sleykin (Oct 9, 2023)

Supporting Member thevillageinn's Avatar
    Thanks

thevillageinn's Tools
    Maybe you'd like to borrow my chainsaw...

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thevillageinn For This Useful Post:

Drew1966 (Feb 5, 2021), that_other_guy (Jan 26, 2019)

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by thevillageinn View Post
    Maybe you'd like to borrow my chainsaw...
    No thanks it is hard enough to keep the 3 that I have running.
    I just bought a tuneup kit for my smallest stihl because it was getting a little long in the pull rope. The kit cost me $37.00, in it was a spark plug 3 air filters, fuel filter, fuel line, tank pressure line, a couple of gaskets and O rings and a carburetor plus some other bits that go to the bar oiling system.
    I didn't use the carb or the lines except for the tank pressure line but used most of the rest of the stuff now back to normal Choke pull a couple times till it burps open the choke squeeze throttle pull and start cutting.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

PJs (Jan 22, 2019)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts

Thanks Frank S! We've added your Fuel Line Forming Tool to our Automotive category,
    as well as to your builder page: Frank S's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    The fix for that hose would be to just loop the hose.

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by mbshop View Post
    The fix for that hose would be to just loop the hose.
    I could have done that by leaving the hose about 5 inches long then it would have looked like heck.
    But you are right that would have been the simplest way

Thanks

stillldoinit's Tools
    Sometimes a loop will work if laying flat, otherwise might have air in upper loop.

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by stillldoinit View Post
    Sometimes a loop will work if laying flat, otherwise might have air in upper loop.
    I learned the hard way about loops or coils one time while making a custom brake line setup I mistakenly allowed the coils in the loop get more vertical than horizontal and I like to have never got the brakes to bleed properly.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

bigtrev8xl (Mar 26, 2019)

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Interesting cuz I have seen coil brake lines on cars from the factory. I personally never had bleeding issues. Course now there are pressure bleeders that would have no problems with coiled lines. Anyway, we are talking about a simple fuel line and having done coiled lines like this I have never had issues. I should have mentioned that what the op did was a great idea and option.

Thread Information