Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Gantry Style CNC Router Part 3 L@@K

Thanks

pfredX1's Tools
    I think you're loony tunes for buying $2,000 worth of software in the first place. Go get a copy of this and see what free software can do F-Engrave Why, it even runs on Windows. Although frankly I don't know how well that version works. I just run the Python script in Linux. Although it only accepts certain format images. So you will have to know how to do file conversions. That may be a bit technically challenging for you? I use this free software to convert images to a format that F-Engrave can handle https://www.gimp.org/ Just use the export feature it has.

I use a completely free tool chain here and it works well enough for me.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by pfredX1; Oct 18, 2016 at 06:50 AM.

Supporting Member Captainleeward's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,330 Times in 525 Posts

Captainleeward's Tools
    The $2000k soft ware i was referring to I have had for 10 years and is associated with my vinyl cutter for graphis and lettering for making signs this old program only works on win 98. it has really good graphic control. It took me 6 months to learn this pgm
    so buying a new operating system would be useless.
    Some time ago I was going to change to linux but all my software editing pgms,pinacle,photoshop, I would have a hard time giving up
    so no sale here but I do see the advantages of Linux. I will get gimp pgm looks good. Thanks. SEE ya.

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks

pfredX1's Tools
    Linux has greater respect for user choice than Windows does. You can run the software you want in Linux on later versions of Linux. Support doesn't drop, like it does in Windows. I can run the same programs today that I ran over 20 years ago in Linux. Which I find rather comforting. Although there's new stuff available too. That's sometimes good. Some of your old Windows software may even run in emulators in Linux. Which if I was you, and I relied on that software, I'd definitely explore. Because your old Windows machines won't run forever.

Linux has a permanence about it though.

PJs
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,118 Times in 718 Posts

PJs's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Captainleeward View Post
    Yes I am a loony tune for keeping my $2000k software by still using windows 98.
    I'm with you Cap'n, looney as fox! Your build is looking great and think it's great you are tackling Mach 3. Learning something new or old every day is Great in my book. I'm still trying to muddle through my old developers copy of solid works, could never quite get passed all the bells and whistles that I didn't get or need with ACAD in 25 years...but my son helps when I get stuck. Still have a 98' gateway laptop just for Non Bloatware things...and an XP one for others like yours...but best of all I still have a real IBM XT dual floppy and a 10mb Berrnouli box with a CGA monitor that still works just in case I need to use edlin or copycon. But might use an old Zenith 286 laptop I've been saving for whatever...maybe a solar powered or steam driven belt generator system when the grid goes down...or a museum...who knows. Please Lead on Sir! ~PJ
    ‘‘Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.’’
    Mark Twain

Supporting Member Captainleeward's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,330 Times in 525 Posts

Captainleeward's Tools
    HI PJs, Gotta love those floppy disks......

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Captainleeward For This Useful Post:

PJs (Oct 24, 2016)

Thread Information