Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Gingery Lathe

Thanks

scorch's Tools

Gingery Lathe

A Gingery Lathe made based on the book "The Metal Lathe" by David Gingery. My lathe is by no means perfect but it is an example of a functioning lathe that I continue to use. I included a couple pictures of the wood patterns I used in the process of casting the lathe parts out of aluminum.

There is scrap aluminum from a variety of sources living on in this little lathe, from Grandma's old lawnmower engine to an old pool ladder I picked up on the side of the road. The riveted steel mechanism that the motor is mounted to is made from an old bed frame.

Gingery Lathe-p9240058-custom-.jpg

Below are some of the wood patterns used to case the lathe parts.
    Gingery Lathe-p4050019-custom-.jpg

Here are the wood patterns arranged roughly as they appear on the lathe.
    Gingery Lathe-p4050015-custom-.jpg

Here is a picture of the tail stock patterns alongside the as cast aluminum lathe parts. I used the Router Mill
    that I previously posted to finish the tail stock parts because I had grown tired of hand working the cast aluminum parts for the lathe.
    Gingery Lathe-dscf4440-custom-.jpg

I used this lathe to make some of the parts for my other tools like my Injection Molding Machine I posted a while ago.

Scorch

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to scorch For This Useful Post:

blkadder (Oct 29, 2015), Captainleeward (Jul 4, 2018), Corm (Aug 13, 2020), Duke_of_URL (Aug 17, 2020), EnginePaul (Sep 18, 2020), greyhoundollie (Oct 25, 2018), Home-PC (Aug 12, 2020), JRock (Oct 25, 2018), kbalch (Oct 28, 2015), mwmkravchenko (Aug 14, 2020), olderdan (Nov 12, 2017), Paul Jones (Oct 28, 2015), PJs (Oct 30, 2015), Rancher (Jun 15, 2018), thehomeengineer (Jun 14, 2018), thevillageinn (Jun 14, 2018), Trojan Horse (Nov 15, 2017)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,852 Times in 1,653 Posts
    Thanks scorch! We've added your Gingery Lathe to our Metalworking category, as well as to your builder page: scorch's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    Thanked 1,441 Times in 655 Posts

Paul Jones's Tools
    Scorch, this is a fantastic build. One thing nice about home made lathes is being able to build other lathes with further refinements and improvements in each generation. What type and size of bearings do you use in the headstock? Thank you for the photos of the patterns.

Thanks

scorch's Tools
    Thanks Paul, I started with bronze sleeve bearings (bushings) as Dave Gingery specified in the book. I swapped them out for needle bearings which fit in the same space as the original sleeve bearings. I also added thrust bearings. I sometimes think about swiching to tapered roller bearings but that would require a new headstock.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to scorch For This Useful Post:

greyhoundollie (Oct 25, 2018), Paul Jones (Oct 29, 2015), PJs (Oct 30, 2015)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,644 Times in 402 Posts

rossbotics's Tools
    Hi Scorch
    Nice job there, I never did to much casting, I'm sure you had a lot of time in just making your patterns let alone the machining and finishing.
    That lathe will be better than anything you could buy made in China, Want a real challenge ? Make some graduated dials for it.

Great Work !!!
    Comments are always welcome
    Doug

Subscribe to my you tube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDD..._as=subscriber

Tool Plans for Sale by rossbotics

8. The Following User Says Thank You to rossbotics For This Useful Post:

greyhoundollie (Oct 25, 2018)

Thanks
    Awesome job, Scorch. I have the Gingery series and am about to start this project myself. Are there any surprises, or does it go as smooth (but labor intensive) as it appears in the book?

Thanks
    Scorch
    Do you have an idea of the cost of your lathe? Very nice job on it.

Thanks

scorch's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeRoy View Post
    Awesome job, Scorch. I have the Gingery series and am about to start this project myself. Are there any surprises, or does it go as smooth (but labor intensive) as it appears in the book?
    It is pretty straight forward. I did have to read a few things over and over to really understand them but once I got it did made sense. Sometimes it is the simple things that get you.

If you start the project feel free to ping me with questions.

Thanks

scorch's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by ncollar View Post
    Scorch
    Do you have an idea of the cost of your lathe? Very nice job on it.
    I found an old spreadsheet that I was keeping track of the cost of the Gingery lathe on. It looks like I got to about $150 before I stopped tracking it (that included some tools like a lathe file, scrappers and a countersink). I would guess I put another $50 to $100 into the lathe after that.

Dew

Thanks
    Mouth-wateringly inspiring. I'd like to clear (non-essentials?) and get down to something like this!

Thread Information