Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Golf ball handle ends

PJs
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,118 Times in 718 Posts

PJs's Tools
    Big'O building, Frank. Must have been a nightmare for the the HVAC engineers to balance all of that, let a lone the substation to run it. Kind of surprised 200mm would handle that as it's 30°C below spec and the R value would be maybe 6 at -20°C and less below that. Initial load must have been tremendous but once it stabilized would be better efficiency.

We used industrial grade Isocyanate foam to encase our cryo stacks so it was handy for my Basketball forming tool. Our 10hp unit could get down to ~-165°C max and hold a ~800-1.2kW load, pump about 50kl/sec and could replace Ln for medium size chamber systems and small roll coater's at ~1/2 the cost of Ln. Used 10-12 systems in large city block size roll coater in NY.

Sorry for hijacking your thread Bony. Golf Ball handles still rule in my cheap n' cheerful recycle book!

PJ

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by PJs; Aug 2, 2018 at 01:32 PM.
    ‘‘Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.’’
    Mark Twain

Thanks
    Thanked 8,786 Times in 4,206 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Pj the cold units were I guess the easiest way to say this were actually a building inside of the building
    The wall of the cold rooms were 12 meters in height while the steel structure of the building was 18 meters at the peak of the roofs and 14 meters at the outer wall the roof from the purlins up started out with hardware cloth then 50mm of roll insulation then sheet metal then a 150 mm layer of rockwool then another layer of sheet metal
    the foundation was dug 3 meters into the ground Bitiume was sprayed then the same type of roofing material that you see on flat roofs was rolled and sealed then a meter of sand then them a half meter of concrete then 300 mm of 41 kg high density foam insulating batting then 3 layers of 6mil plastic then another 300 mm of concrete then certain zones and areas of that was covered with electrical heat mat then 150 mm of high-strength glass fiber concrete. tons and tons of many layers of rebar in each pour each cold room had 12 sets of rail tracks embedded in and flush with the finished floor to allow for mobile racking
    And everything in the mechanical dead air space above the ceilings of the cold rooms got sprayed with 50 mm or more of foam we emptied a 40 container full of drums of the 2 part Isocyanate foam
    All piping and electrical was ran above the cold rooms and talk about a nightmare to wrap and clad the 1000s of joints and tees some of those pipes were 12" XXsch had to construct temporary monorail cranes over just about every run it took 3 full months to do all of the +&- pressure testing of every system
    1 corner seam in 1 of the rooms blew out during testing nearly caused us to have to tear out the outside walls of the building to repair it but eventually we managed to lower 2 guys down between the walls on a rope to do the repair.
    Start to finish the project involved contractors from 7 countries 100 engineers 1000 workers and products from just about every industrialized country you could imagine. It started out our company only had about 30% of the total scope but by the middle the general contractor got fired and the whole thing was dumped in our laps.

2000 Tool Plans
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Supporting Member
    Thanks

Rorschach's Tools
    I also like golf ball handles for machines and some hand tools such as files.

They take paint quite well too if you don't like the look of them, with a black high gloss they look quite respectable on the lathe.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Rorschach For This Useful Post:

PJs (Aug 3, 2018)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,852 Times in 1,653 Posts

Thanks Bony! We've added your Handle Ends to our Miscellaneous category,
    as well as to your builder page: Bony's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

PJs
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,118 Times in 718 Posts

PJs's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    Pj the cold units were I guess the easiest way to say this were actually a building inside of the building
    Kind of assumed that based on the size of the building. I did similar when I did the move project there, consolidating 5 buildings into two. One room for the foaming operations with "special" Bamquad (BAAQMD/Fed-Cal Oshia) rules, one for the He mass-spec testing with drop down tents and 4 Veeco pump/test systems, one for the new 8 bay final test/burn-in with DAQ using Atari 1040ST's, that each would test any unit up to max load, one for the tool room/inventory, plus overhead gantries in several places to move the larger units to different stations or onto custom roll around's, and a Jib crane for shipping.

Probably a gnat compared to your project Frank, but we took an 18mo. backlog down to zero in a month in a half and did it in 1/3 the space. Plus it was my first foray (mid 80's) into the fire of wearing 14 hats, Safety Officer, Mfg. Engineer, CAD IT, Facilities manager, Plant design & Liaison to Architect team & contractors, CryoCoil Designer, R&D new/custom units (Demo unit had All of our Tech in it and then some), etc...simultaneously.

All that pale's to the simplicity of using golf balls for handles. Too to Rule!

PJ
    ‘‘Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.’’
    Mark Twain

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by PJs View Post
    All that pale's to the simplicity of using golf balls for handles. Too to Rule!

PJ
    Was just thinking about golf balls earlier today. I asked the wife when was the last time she had seen a golf ball- looked at me kind of funny and said there are 3 or 4 in a box with some toys we keep in case the g'kids come over.
    I didn't know there was a golf ball within 50 miles I said.Then I told her of the handles.
    NOPE! those are the g' kids toys I was informed. Ho Well.

Thanks

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Rorschach View Post
    I also like golf ball handles for machines and some hand tools such as files.

They take paint quite well too if you don't like the look of them, with a black high gloss they look quite respectable on the lathe.
    Since I've never been around them I wasn't aware that they would take to paint very well. Always figured since they are basically plastic to get a good adhesion I figured they would have to be sanded and prepped like any other plastic, which is another substance I avoid when ever possible.

Supporting Member
    Thanks

Rorschach's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    Since I've never been around them I wasn't aware that they would take to paint very well. Always figured since they are basically plastic to get a good adhesion I figured they would have to be sanded and prepped like any other plastic, which is another substance I avoid when ever possible.
    If you have a sandblaster, then a quick going over will key the surface perfectly. I just used steel wool and sandpaper, only took a minute. I then thoroughly de-greased with brake cleaner before painting. I used car body paint, primer and top coat as I find even the cheap car paints to be quite good and stick to just about anything. After the top coat I added a couple of coats of a gloss lacquer. Holding up well so far.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rorschach For This Useful Post:

Frank S (Aug 4, 2018), PJs (Aug 5, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,980 Times in 1,893 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Sidehack [not variety attached with a two wheeled cycle]
    Golf balls do several odd tasks quite well. Watch a safe mover, smooth sided gun safes as an example, he'll bring a couple dozen to distribute under the side, as low friction casters. Compared to Egyptian logs with epic turning radius, slick as can be. They also have just enough 'bite' for rotating tumble deburrers, and never wear out.

Since thread started, been haunting craigs for a bag of my own. A couple machines need comfortable handles...painting them is an idea hadn't occurred to me. Only balls I've ever negotiated for were #3 [red] and #6 [green]billiard balls. Made them visual aides for newbies at engine controls of a re-habbed Coast Guard 'inshore' [no armor, armament, berthing, galley, flybridge] patrol boat. That reinforced my [ie] port ahead starboard back engine orders. Sure it had steering, but a wheel on twin screws likes mooring the right way habitual. Handled seakeeping nicely, twin screws on 8v-71 Detriot Diesels. Made a few transits Pt. Mugu NWS to NS San Diego ~120NM. At 10 knots took most of a day, with 2 more 55 gallon barrels of RFO -residual fuel oil.
    Just in case.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Toolmaker51 For This Useful Post:

PJs (Aug 5, 2018), WmRMeyers (May 30, 2022)

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,793 Times in 11,326 Posts
    Golf balls cut in half.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

Frank S (Aug 23, 2018), PJs (Aug 23, 2018), WmRMeyers (May 30, 2022)

Thread Information