Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 LastLast

Thread: Good advices for a newbie (threading tools lathe)

PJs
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,118 Times in 718 Posts

PJs's Tools
    In the last picture above there is a brass piece extending out of the green stand offs toward the cone...I was guessing it was your HV (hi-voltage) connection to the plasma tube at the mouth of the cone??

I get the wiring issues and difficulty in isolating the B+ from the audio especially. I'm sure you will figure it out fine!! Thanks for the update. ~PJ

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    ‘‘Always do right. This will gratify some people and astonish the rest.’’
    Mark Twain

Thanks

rendoman's Tools
    As soon as I come home I take the pics! this brass part couples the wire of the tesla coil with the tungsten point tip. for sure i have to shorten a little, 2cm of thread is really too much, i have to shorten also the coil and the chamber, if i take these sizes i got few space for the single transformer. After reading in other sites that this plasma produces lot of heat that it can melt tin weld of the coil, I try mechanical coupling with m4 grains, prcatical solution even for change tip.

For the transformer i'm searching some good products, i need for sure 2 secondary up to 250v and 3 different for filaments. I call an italian small maker, 120 euro each for this transformer, almost homemade...
    I found this polish company that makes imho good products, even some waterproof unit. normal grade toroid cost really few bucks, "audio grade" with some more shield and resin core a bit more, and the supreme applepie tranformer is tested, it has many features but, above all, it has a top plate in polished inox that save me lot of time and materials to make a cover! even with the most expensive i spent less money than buying in italy ...

250 VA - Shop Toroidy.pl

Toroidal transformers AUDIO GRADE - Shop Toroidy.pl

2000 Tool Plans

3. The Following User Says Thank You to rendoman For This Useful Post:

PJs (Mar 2, 2016)

Thanks

rendoman's Tools
    Et voila! hope I took the right part! that's the brass mechanical link coil-tungsten. I will use two m4 grains inox (as soon as i find them), one for keep the tungsten and one for the cable inside. For sure i will shorten the coil of 3cm, and a little extra 2cm from chamber, for sure I need keeping the size as low as possible.

I finished welding this evening, but as usual, the schematic finished at late night should sleep and pass the night . Tomorrow, with the necessary calm, i will check powersupply, pin socket and all parts... and then I'll try firing! Hope Tomorrow to show you some good pics about little spark

Good advices for a newbie (threading tools lathe)-dsc00149_1600x1200.jpg Good advices for a newbie (threading tools lathe)-dsc00146_1600x1200.jpg

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rendoman For This Useful Post:

C-Bag (Mar 3, 2016), PJs (Mar 3, 2016)

Thanks

C-Bag's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by rendoman View Post
    I finished welding this evening, but as usual, the schematic finished at late night should sleep and pass the night . Tomorrow, with the necessary calm, i will check powersupply, pin socket and all parts... and then I'll try firing! Hope Tomorrow to show you some good pics about little spark

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00149_1600x1200.JPG 
Views:	274 
Size:	359.4 KB 
ID:	8740 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00146_1600x1200.JPG 
Views:	257 
Size:	245.8 KB 
ID:	8739
    LOL! Good job! I wish I had as much control as you do. It's amazing what checking the next morning can show up. Bravo and I hope the initial test goes well. I can't even imagine what this is going to sound like. Good luck.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to C-Bag For This Useful Post:

PJs (Mar 3, 2016), rendoman (Mar 3, 2016)

PJs
    Thanks

PJs's Tools
    Thanks Stefano! Those pictures show what I was wondering about. It does seem a bit long but will do for testing your wiring and the effect. It felt a bit dangerous with the 3KV exposed like that but for testing and tuning it'll do, just have to keep your hands out of there!! No Frizzy hair Please! I was also curious how you would isolate the cone and adjust the tungsten electrode tube to the cone?

Can't wait to hear how it went and sounds!! Thanks, ~PJ
    Mark Twain

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PJs For This Useful Post:

C-Bag (Mar 3, 2016), Paul Jones (Mar 31, 2016)

Thanks

rendoman's Tools
    Sorry for the wait but I'm still having some trouble tuning the circuit
    This night for the first time the circuit shows a little progress. It's not easy, but it's an experimental circuit, I have to hold on and make changes!
    Very little flame started with point of screwdriver, pretty purple and silent for now. Flame is not stable, it fires only at max potentiometer position, at 90ma, sign that there is still many things to modify .
    Circuit is far even from a basic setup, but at least it starts! It's little thing, but it's better than no start at all
    It's early to say something about, only i have to do lot of work on it! This circuit is bastard

Good advices for a newbie (threading tools lathe)-dsc00183_1600x1200.jpg Good advices for a newbie (threading tools lathe)-dsc00187_1600x1200.jpg Good advices for a newbie (threading tools lathe)-dsc00189_1600x1200.jpg

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rendoman For This Useful Post:

C-Bag (Mar 7, 2016), PJs (Mar 6, 2016)

Thanks

rendoman's Tools
    This plasma is possessed by the devil!
    Jokes apart, this little bastard is tough. I made some changes this night, I think i'm on the right path now, but still far from result. For sure troubles with oscillator, coils collide with frame, and even with the metal edge of table! even if the circuit it's not running well, the strenght of field it's enough to ignite a 58w neon tube and keep light till 30cm from coil. I have don't want to short all link and cable now, for sure it's important with RF, but I also need to make changes easily without welding. I really don't know why, but even the frame is stealing energy from coils ... have to think some solution!

In few words: this circuit is really susceptible to many aspects of project,frame and enviroment ... but sometimes it's funny to play with it Emoticon grin
    oh, it would be better to spend money with girls!

Good advices for a newbie (threading tools lathe)-dsc00205_1600x1200.jpg Good advices for a newbie (threading tools lathe)-dsc00207_900x1200.jpg Good advices for a newbie (threading tools lathe)-dsc00210_1600x1200.jpgGood advices for a newbie (threading tools lathe)-dsc00213_1600x1200.jpg Good advices for a newbie (threading tools lathe)-dsc00215_1600x1200.jpg

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rendoman For This Useful Post:

C-Bag (Mar 10, 2016), PJs (Mar 10, 2016)

Thanks

C-Bag's Tools
    Good advices for a newbie (threading tools lathe)-alive.jpg

You are truly a madman Stefano! Years ago I read a biography of Nicola Tesla and one scene described one of the many visits of Mark Twain to Tesla's lab. And he talked about that Tesla had just racks everywhere for florescent bulbs. No wiring, just the racks because when he fired up the lab all the bulbs glowed, just like in your photo. I'm sure you are being careful but being around that much high voltage would make me nervous.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to C-Bag For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Mar 31, 2016), PJs (Mar 10, 2016), rendoman (Mar 11, 2016)

PJs
    Thanks

PJs's Tools
    Whooaah there big fella, I'm thinking a faraday cage is in order. Definitely have some RF floating around there and it will puncture the insulation to jump to ground or you.

Are you modulating the plasma with audio and at what frequencies. Hang in there, if you build it, sound will come.

A couple of gals for ya! ~¿@
    Good advices for a newbie (threading tools lathe)-ilovelucy.jpg
    Mark Twain

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PJs For This Useful Post:

C-Bag (Mar 11, 2016), rendoman (Mar 11, 2016)

Thanks

rendoman's Tools
    thanks!
    the good thing is that the power supply discharge in few second, and the tungsten tip is coupled with capacitor from B+ , that makes the work on circuit really nice!
    You're right, enamel insulation burn easily when touched by spark. This high voltage is really hot compared to its small size! Even the plasma flame is so hot, i smell few ozone with this flame size, for sure pyrex chamber and faraday cage.
    I have to take a small mp3 for making tests, my old cd is not running, my old tape also , I don't want to attach as test my Scarlett soundcard , for sure nothing happens with capacitor placed on entry, but still prefer to sacrifice a cheap player

I didn't think that a small coil as mine can light a 58w neon, it surprised me a lot! thanks for advice, high voltage is Always a danger!
    Hope I will post some better update next time I gain a couple of mm of flame each week maybe in may the tweeter will be good !

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rendoman For This Useful Post:

C-Bag (Mar 11, 2016), PJs (Mar 11, 2016)

Thread Information