Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Grader ripping old pavement - GIF

Thanks

Saltfever's Tools
    Grader ripping old pavement - GIF-grader1.jpg Grader ripping old pavement - GIF-grader2.jpg

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thanks
    Thanked 1,449 Times in 822 Posts

hemmjo's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by desbromilow View Post
    is "pavement" code for asphalt or some other bitumen composite material? - the broken edges are more black than grey, so I was thinking it was asphalt over a road base bed.
    So many words get tossed around, often the meanings become confusing, especially as we can now interact from all parts of the world. One reason I so much enjoy this list is the wide ranging group of people who interact here.

From my understanding, technically, the word paving is a process the provides a more durable surface over an area. The word pavement is used to describe the surface that is created by the paving process. The pavement itself can be any of or a combinations of many various materials; gravel, cobble stone, flag stone, fired clay brick, concrete brick, stone brick, poured concrete, the list goes on.

To control weeds, prevent mud, and to keep from compacting the soil over tree roots, I "pave" the walking paths in my woods and garden with wood chips from trimming the trees.

In addition, I am sure there is some confusion about the meaning of some of the terms. For example, there are at least 23 different types of concrete. At least 9 of which are commonly used in road construction. In this thread we are actually discussing #20 on the list of concrete types. Or possibly #10.1, 10.2, or 10.3.

I believe that video shows Asphalt Concrete pavement being removed. This paving material, commonly called asphalt in the USA, is made from bitumen (the glue) and aggregate (gravel). It is a relatively flexible material especially in warm weather. If you watch closely when a heavy truck drives by, the road surface actually dips and rebounds as the tires roll over the surface. At intersections, where traffic stops, then accelerate away, many times the cross marking lines are "bent" where all of the tires slowly "push" the road surface backward each time one passes over the line.

In the video the surface of the road was black when it was first laid down. Over the years traffic wears away the black bitumen from the surface, exposing the lighter colored aggregate. Dirt and other debris also gets stuck to the black bitumen between the aggregate giving it a gray color. The cut surface looks more black because the cutting process leaves a clean surface with a higher percentage of black from the bitumen below the road surface. .

2000 Tool Plans
    Last edited by hemmjo; Nov 1, 2023 at 07:13 AM.

Thread Information