Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Height gauge addition.

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts

Thanks tonyfoale! We've added your Caliper Modifications to our Measuring and Marking category,
    as well as to your builder page: tonyfoale's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thanks
    Thanked 6,380 Times in 2,117 Posts

mklotz's Tools
    My suggestion of using calipers for splinter extraction was meant for instances when tweezers aren't immediately to hand. You should have proper tweezers as well. Yes, surprisingly, many of the better are made in Pakistan. Amazon has a good selection.

A handy form, if you can find some, has tips shaped like the jaws of flush-cutting pliers. These push the skin down, exposing the tip of the splinter, which can be grasped with greater pressure because of the line contact of the tips. The tips of the caliper jaws mimic this form and that's what makes them an effective tool for the job.

Splinter removal tips are legion. One of my favorites is a technique for wooden splinters. Apply some wood glue to the affected area and let it dry. After it's dry pick it off the skin. If all goes well, the splinter will be glued to the blob of glue you removed.

2000 Tool Plans
    Last edited by mklotz; Nov 16, 2018 at 10:39 AM.
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

3. The Following User Says Thank You to mklotz For This Useful Post:

Toolmaker51 (Nov 16, 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,628 Times in 705 Posts

tonyfoale's Tools
    I have made a bit more progress. From starting with 50 kg I am now down to 17 kg but the target is around 9 kg so lots more swarf to make.

Height gauge addition.-crankcases039.jpg Height gauge addition.-crankcases038.jpg Click images for full size versions.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to tonyfoale For This Useful Post:

olderdan (Nov 22, 2018)

Thanks

tonyfoale's Tools
    Continuing on this theme of reverse engineering I have made another post about measuring the various radii on the crankcases. You can find that here Radius-gauge

Thanks

crazypj's Tools
    I cut up a set of Harbor Freight $10.00 (with coupon ) 6" calipers to convert to DRO on tailstock of 7x10 mini lathe. Also soldered wires to use a AA battery plus a switch as the real cheap pnes never turn completely off (on/off switch only turns off display) Always wondered why battery life was so short

Thanks
    Thanks Tony these are real cool tools ! ….the one ont the left (with the OD measuring jaws cut off) I could use these often. I wouldn't do this to my high end vernier calipers but I will buy a 6" HF model and make it pocket size… great job tony

Thanks

tonyfoale's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by crazypj View Post
    I cut up a set of Harbor Freight $10.00 (with coupon ) 6" calipers to convert to DRO on tailstock of 7x10 mini lathe. Also soldered wires to use a AA battery plus a switch as the real cheap pnes never turn completely off (on/off switch only turns off display) Always wondered why battery life was so short
    I think that it was Marv who pointed out that you can get Li-ion for the calipers which last much longer. It is not only cheap calipers which don't switch off.

Thanks

tonyfoale's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Pete View Post
    Thanks Tony these are real cool tools ! ….the one ont the left (with the OD measuring jaws cut off) I could use these often. I wouldn't do this to my high end vernier calipers but I will buy a 6" HF model and make it pocket size… great job tony
    Don't make the same mistake that I did. When you close up a normal caliper, that is the reference to set zero. I cut all that off, and lost that zero, it is enough to just leave a small bit for zero contact. Easy when you are forewarned which I wasn't. All is not lost though, I can use the depth measuring stick to set zero, just not so convenient.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to tonyfoale For This Useful Post:

HobieDave (Mar 17, 2020)

Thanks

crazypj's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by tonyfoale View Post
    I have made a bit more progress. From starting with 50 kg I am now down to 17 kg but the target is around 9 kg so lots more swarf to make.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Crankcases039.jpg 
Views:	166 
Size:	156.4 KB 
ID:	26423 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Crankcases038.jpg 
Views:	193 
Size:	159.9 KB 
ID:	26424 Click images for full size versions.
    Is this going to be the most expensive Aermacchi ever built? (I'm guessing thats what your making) Really nice workJust the raw material must have been pretty expensive. (I had a friend who paid around $4,000 for two blocks to make a Harley 'double twin' V-4 )

Thanks

tonyfoale's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by crazypj View Post
    Is this going to be the most expensive Aermacchi ever built? (I'm guessing thats what your making) Really nice workJust the raw material must have been pretty expensive. (I had a friend who paid around $4,000 for two blocks to make a Harley 'double twin' V-4 )
    I don't recall the cost of the blocks but it was a few hundred USD.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to tonyfoale For This Useful Post:

crazypj (Jan 1, 2019)

Thread Information