Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hex bolt zip gun - GIF

Jon
    Jon is offline Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,854 Times in 11,342 Posts

Hex bolt zip gun - GIF

Hex bolt zip gun. Equal parts disturbing and interesting. Reminds me of the WWII Liberator pistol intended to be dropped behind enemy lines for use by resistance forces. However, instead of being used by an Allied resistance fighter to fight Nazi occupation, it's carelessly discharged into the air over some godforsaken trash-strewn alley.

Previously:

Lighter pistol - GIF
    19th century lantern pistol - photo
    PKP Powell knife pistol - photo
    1865 combination knuckleduster and pistol - photo
    19th century French harmonica pistol - photo
    Lipstick pistol - photo
    Meteorite M1911 pistol - photo
    Guycot 40-shot chain pistol
    Credit card pistol - video, photos

More:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FP-45_Liberator
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deer_gun

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by Jon; Jun 11, 2022 at 03:15 PM.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

durrelltn (Jun 11, 2022), EnginePaul (Jun 12, 2022), Inner (Jun 11, 2022), nova_robotics (Jun 11, 2022), rlm98253 (Jun 11, 2022)

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,148 Times in 619 Posts

nova_robotics's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    instead of being used by an Allied resistance fighter to fight Nazi occupation, it's carelessly discharged into the air over some godforsaken trash-strewn alley.
    Worth it for the internet likes. That video should be enough to get that guy thrown in jail.

...but that said, I live in a particularly redneck area of Canada. Every New Years it's very common to shoot your guns in the air. For about 20 minutes it sounds like we're fighting the nazis again. Hopefully the drunk idiots are smart enough to use shotguns, but I'm sure at least some of them have got the rifles out. It happens every year. To my knowledge no one has been killed yet.

2000 Tool Plans

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nova_robotics For This Useful Post:

rdarrylb (Jun 11, 2022), Toolmaker51 (Jun 13, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 8,789 Times in 4,207 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by nova_robotics View Post
    Worth it for the internet likes. That video should be enough to get that guy thrown in jail.

...but that said, I live in a particularly redneck area of Canada. Every New Years it's very common to shoot your guns in the air. For about 20 minutes it sounds like we're fighting the nazis again. Hopefully the drunk idiots are smart enough to use shotguns, but I'm sure at least some of them have got the rifles out. It happens every year. To my knowledge no one has been killed yet.
    I don't normally fire off a round of anything unless I am aiming at a varmint but last new-year's at the stroke of midnight I the next to my nearest neighbor about half a mile away, pump off 5 then a couple minutes later he pumped off 5 more as fast as he could pump them. SO I'm thinking why not see how my new Kel-tec shoots, I pumped off 30 mini 12ga rounds. I started to reload and heard his Harley crank up. He comes over and said man I was just letting you know it was a new year, I didn't mean to start a shooting war with you. Well I made sure everyone else knows it. Maybe by Next year I will have my 2 pounder completed and parked next to the flag pole
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,148 Times in 619 Posts

nova_robotics's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    I don't normally fire off a round of anything unless I am aiming at a varmint but last new-year's at the stroke of midnight I the next to my nearest neighbor about half a mile away, pump off 5 then a couple minutes later he pumped off 5 more as fast as he could pump them.
    So long as it's shot then there's no issue. More than a few hundred feet out and they lose so much energy that they just bounce off of you. Straight up in the air and it's no worse than hail coming down on the neighbor's house. I'm worried about the people with rifles.

Thanks

Bony's Tools
    We've dealt with guns in every household in Australia, (and so has the UK & recently NZ) but with such horrendous statistics it saddens me to see the US hasn't.

Supporting Member schuylergrace's Avatar
    Thanks
    So, does the nut do anything on it, other than disguise the joint between the threaded end and the smooth shank? Maybe, it's a jam nut to keep the two halves from rattling apart as you carry it? And I wonder (while I'm wondering about the above) how many guys, carrying these things around in their pockets, have had their bolts blow their nuts off? It had to be asked.

For topical application, only. Not to be taken internally or used in com-
    bination with other drugs or alcohol, except as directed by your shaman.
    Do not operate heavy equipment, unless you actually know how to.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to schuylergrace For This Useful Post:

EnginePaul (Jun 12, 2022)

Thanks
    It gets pretty bad here in Los Angeles at times. Once about 15 years ago I stepped out of my house to find a 45 slug on the ground at the base of my steps.
    “If you tell the truth, you don't have to remember anything.” ― Mark Twain

Thanks

katy's Tools
    No comment.

Thanks

mr mikey's Tools
    I have seen a lot of zip guns over the years. What I see with this one is if its dropped on that pull ring the round will fire (totally unsafe). Someone is going to be hurt or dead. The pre 80 series 1911 had a problem like that when dropped with the barrel straight down the firing pin will move forward and fire the round. 80 series incorporated a firing pin block. My thoughts.

Thanks

NeiljohnUK's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by nova_robotics View Post

Living in a quiet South coast town ~25 years ago in England we had this, my father even said he could recognise one rifle type by the bolt slap sounds, he also commented the pattern of firing was numerical to match the date very much like he'd experienced in Italy. These days the fireworks would drown out any firearms discharge, it's like a battle of the Somme artillery barrage!

Thread Information