Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Homebuilt 9mm Handgun Suppressor

Supporting Member
    Thanks

Jughead's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by greyhoundollie View Post
    Jughead I was wondering since the guns bore is 9 mm. Did you consider locating a matching 9 mm bore knocker or other device to match the twist of the barrel to your 3 fat washers, as you called them? That way the rotation of the bullet would be kept intact as it progressed through the suppressor.
    @greyhoundollie , the hole in the center of the baffle is 9.5mm, so allows the 9mm round (9.02mm to be exact) to pass through it without making contact with it. I thus didn't think it necessary to add anything to maintain the twist.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Supporting Member
    Thanks

Jughead's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Rattlerjake View Post
    It's also nice when a true American shows his true unselfishness and shares with the rest. Sadly, too many "inventors" are in it just for the money.
    Thanks @Rattlerjake , but actually I'm from sunny South Africa, where virtually anything goes!

2000 Tool Plans

Supporting Member
    Thanks

Jughead's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by sossol View Post
    What is the purpose of the notches and pin on the center barrel? Obviously they prevent free rotation except during a firing event, but why is that necessary?

Neil
    @sossol , I did mention it in the original post, but maybe not clearly.

When any additional weight is added to the front of a firearm barrel, the point of impact changes. This is due to a number of factors that take place within a micro second while the round is travelling down between the baffles. Slight inconsistencies between the baffles, slight microscopic deviations in the movement of the barrel/suppressor or slight play in the mechanism that is needed for free movement will cause a round to wander off course. Normally these inconsistencies are consistent, and the round will consistently wander off course in the same direction.

Firing 5 rounds, I can consistently hit a 50mm (2 inch) circle at 15 meters without the suppressor. As soon as the suppressor is fitted however, the point of impact moves by about 3 inches to the 4 o'clock position. That is where the inconsistencies within the suppressor/barrel setup will lead the round. What I have built into the Nielsen device though, is the ability to change the inconsistencies by rotating the suppressor. Rotating it by one notch in relation to the barrel now moves the point of impact by 2.5 inches to the 6 o'clock position. One more notch of rotation will move it again by maybe 1.5 inches to the 9 o'clock position. I can continue to do this until the barrel/suppressor relationship is such that I am back to firing within my 2 inch circle at 15 meters.

Hope this makes sense.

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jughead For This Useful Post:

alainbiggun (Jan 15, 2023), JDrouin (Apr 2, 2020), LMMasterMariner (Apr 2, 2020), melbakid (Apr 2, 2020), Sleykin (Apr 2, 2020)

Supporting Member
    Thanks

Rorschach's Tools
    Wow that is impressive, great work!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Rorschach For This Useful Post:

Jughead (Apr 2, 2020)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jughead View Post
    Thanks @Rattlerjake , but actually I'm from sunny South Africa, where virtually anything goes!
    wat jy waar kry! (roughly translated = yea right) that said what they don't know can't hurt you! nice job on the "suppressor" pm me on where I can walk in and buy ?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to ianinsa For This Useful Post:

Jughead (Apr 2, 2020)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jughead View Post
    Good to see a Saffer using his imagination, enjoying his machines and making a thing of beauty.
    Nou gaan ons braai!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to paulsabatier For This Useful Post:

Jughead (Apr 2, 2020)

Supporting Member
    Thanks

Jughead's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by ianinsa View Post
    ... where I can walk in and buy ?
    Frontier Arm and Ammo - Grahamstown
    Aquila - PE
    BKB Humasdorp
    Lock Stock and Barrel - PE
    Gun Shack - PE.

Thanks

Crusty's Tools
    Just the added weight on the end of a barrel changing the natural harmonics is enough to change the point of impact and group size. Browning's BOSS system uses that fact in a device to tune the barrel's harmonics to a particular load and reduce the group size for that load.
    If you can't make it precise make it adjustable.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Crusty For This Useful Post:

Jughead (Apr 4, 2020), Moby Duck (Apr 4, 2020)

Thanks
    Nice work. If I had more time I'd send in the Form 1, and the $200 check, and make my own as well. I need a .45 can for my Mac-10. Yes, it is a legally owned full auto subgun.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to PDXsparky For This Useful Post:

baja (Apr 6, 2020)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PDXsparky View Post
    Nice work. If I had more time I'd send in the Form 1, and the $200 check, and make my own as well. I need a .45 can for my Mac-10. Yes, it is a legally owned full auto subgun.
    In my opinion the macs are safer with a suppressor fitted, plus it makes them look even more serious.

My staff sergeant had the mac 11, the fire rate on that was incredible - you blink and you have emptied a mag. Takes a week or two to remove the smile from ones face.

Thread Information