Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Honing discs for bench drill

Supporting Member Philip Davies's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,022 Times in 343 Posts

Philip Davies's Tools

Honing discs for bench drill

Honing discs for bench drill-5934f75b-fdf1-420b-b36c-a231a1d72943.jpg

You may have seen that some whetstone manufacturers offer profiled honing wheels for their machines. They are made of leather. They aren’t cheap!
    Medium density fibreboard seems to have the same density, take up the polishing compound just as well and are cheap as chips to make. Even if you don’t have a holesaw, if you run the blank on an arbour in the drill, it is easy to shape the spinning disc with a rotary rasp, even a hand rasp.

You must run it at a slow speed, with the edge away from the direction of rotation, as I am sure you will recognise.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Philip Davies For This Useful Post:

Andyt (Oct 7, 2020), baja (Oct 7, 2020), Christophe Mineau (Oct 12, 2020), emu roo (Jan 26, 2022), high-side (Oct 13, 2020), Jon (Oct 8, 2020), Little Rabbit (Jan 26, 2022), luvmygto (Jan 31, 2022), mwmkravchenko (Jan 30, 2022), nova_robotics (Aug 3, 2023), olderdan (Oct 5, 2020), Priemsy (Oct 11, 2020), rebuilder1954 (Oct 11, 2020), toeless joe (Oct 11, 2020), Tonyg (Oct 6, 2020), Toolmaker51 (Oct 6, 2020)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,852 Times in 1,653 Posts

Thanks Philip Davies! We've added your Honing Disc to our Sharpening category,
    as well as to your builder page: Philip Davies's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

4. The Following User Says Thank You to DIYer For This Useful Post:

CharlesWaugh (Oct 6, 2020)

Thanks

CharlesWaugh's Tools
    Philip,
    Fantastic idea - thank you!
    I'll make some ASAP.

I'm working on making a 24" disk sander that will be variable speed.
    The disk will have two 1/2" i.d. drill bushings pressed into it.
    That way, I can cut a 24x24 piece of MDF, trim it roughly round using my bandsaw, then mount it on the disk by drilling through the drill bushings and using pins to align it, with a few screws elsewhere through the disk to hold it on.
    That way I can have quickly-changeable grit disks, all the way up to . . . you guessed it! just MDF, charged with polishing compound.

I will also be making the sander so the entire motor-disk assembly can swing from vertical to horizontal, so lapping is much easier.

Further, even the edge of the MDF disk will be a handy spot for polishing compound or a glued-on strip of abrasive paper.

All of that said, I love your idea - it'll make my carving gouges shine (literally).
    :- )
    Charles Waugh
    www.charleswaugh.com
    "Any tool is just a kit, to be modified as needed for the job at hand"

6. The Following User Says Thank You to CharlesWaugh For This Useful Post:

Philip Davies (Jan 31, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,981 Times in 1,893 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Charles, that remountable disc will work, via the variable speed to run RPM up. Most will find balance issues difficult to remedy, use small pins and bushings. I'd also offset the positions or make an index mark that re-orients disc same way every time.
    The back of the changeable side will need to be relieved, because normal facing off is not perfectly flat edge to center; [constant feed rate vs reduction in diameter].
    While I'm work-table engineering [and performing exotic Pacific Islander dances, to visualize pin and screw locations], 6 or 8 perimeter screws should dampen the assembly fine.
    Last edited by Toolmaker51; Oct 6, 2020 at 08:51 PM. Reason: typo; made 'small', too smal...
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Supporting Member mwmkravchenko's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Philip Davies View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5934F75B-FDF1-420B-B36C-A231A1D72943.jpg 
Views:	812 
Size:	344.2 KB 
ID:	36814

You may have seen that some whetstone manufacturers offer profiled honing wheels for their machines. They are made of leather. They aren’t cheap!
    Medium density fibreboard seems to have the same density, take up the polishing compound just as well and are cheap as chips to make. Even if you don’t have a holesaw, if you run the blank on an arbour in the drill, it is easy to shape the spinning disc with a rotary rasp, even a hand rasp.

You must run it at a slow speed, with the edge away from the direction of rotation, as I am sure you will recognise.
    Nice. Done this for carving tools in MDF used as a contoured strope. I use the chisel to make the correct shape. Your idea is faster! I like it!!

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mwmkravchenko For This Useful Post:

luvmygto (Jan 31, 2022), Philip Davies (Jan 31, 2022), Toolmaker51 (Feb 10, 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,981 Times in 1,893 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Plane irons, wood chisels, leather working and knives in general; the disc's Phillip Davies posted, have another use in perfection of cutting tools.
    If you machine plastics, copper, free brass, ledloy and free steels, annealed aluminum etc; they really love fine cutting edges, not just turn/ bore, form tools most of all.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Toolmaker51 For This Useful Post:

mwmkravchenko (Feb 12, 2022), Philip Davies (Feb 11, 2022)

Thread Information