Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: How To Extract Damaged Bolt Or Screw

Supporting Member tiger carpenter's Avatar
    Thanks

tiger carpenter's Tools

How To Extract Damaged Bolt Or Screw

This video demonstrates the extraction / removal of the damaged head bolts or screws, using the damaged bolt extraction bits.

Damaged Bolts & Screws Removal Kit:

https://amzn.to/3aocb4l

DeWalt Cordless 20V Brushless XR Trim Router:

https://amzn.to/3mD2DIu

DeWalt Trim Router Round Sub Base Replacement:

https://amzn.to/3Bx0eFA

There are quite a few damaged bolt remover kits, and I tried nearly all of them. I believe this HSS hardened steel works very well, as shown in this video.

Once you remove the broken bolts or screws, it is advisable to replace them with the stainless steel, heavy duty equivalent, so that you wouldn't run into the same problem in the future.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    At Tiger Carpenter I use both hand and power tools. I put a lot of thought into the design and optimization. I like to come up with the improvements of the tools or jigs that are already out there, and share my ideas or findings with the community so that we all can benefit from each invention.I also implement the principle of aiming for perfection. I learn from the mistakes I made, and I raise the bar for every next project.

Thanks

BuffaloJohn's Tools
    A note on fasteners - Phillips drive (+) is designed to protect the driving bit by caming out which wrecks the screw. So - a socket cap screw would be better than a Phillips if it had a Robertson (square), an Allen (hex) or Torx (star) or similar.

As for stainless steel, not really what would solve the problem of the head getting wrecked by torque. Stainless Steel is not harder - it is actually soft and brittle. A hardened screw would be what you want.

As for button head - those have little purchase for the driver - button head have a pretty small amount of metal to resist forces. A low head Socket Head Cap Screw (SHCS) is a much better fastener to use.

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks

tiger carpenter's Tools
    I used hardened stainless steel. I always buy those. They indeed are very hard, hard to cut using hacksaw, never saw the philips or other head type to get damaged, even when using impact driver.
    For this particular case, I tighten them by hand, not to crack the trim router acrylic sub base, not because of the bolts.

I used stainless steel washers to avoid the acrylic chipping from the repetitive attaching and removing the base.

It is flat button head, not the mushroom, but I don't think it matters in this application. These bolts are not carrying any load or withstand big forces. They just hold the base to the router.

Even low SHCS wouldn't be flush in this base, the holes are pretty shallow.

Thanks for your input! We always learn something new.
    At Tiger Carpenter I use both hand and power tools. I put a lot of thought into the design and optimization. I like to come up with the improvements of the tools or jigs that are already out there, and share my ideas or findings with the community so that we all can benefit from each invention.I also implement the principle of aiming for perfection. I learn from the mistakes I made, and I raise the bar for every next project.

Thanks

BuffaloJohn's Tools
    At 2:53 your video says you used a M4 12mm button head ss bolt. Now you say you are using a flat button head - there is no such thing. Your video show what looks like a pan head screw. A flat head has a flat top and a taper to the thread at an angle of 82 degrees.

As for head height, a standard SHCS is 4mm, a pan head is 3.3mm and a low head is 2.8mm.

Also, the A286 SS alloy screws are about 4/5 the tensile strength of steel screws.

As for hardness you see with a hacksaw, SS is hard on cutting tools because the heat of cutting is not carried away by the chips and is retained in the uncut surface, which causes the tool to overheat without cooling. Same thing with drilling.

Thanks

tiger carpenter's Tools
    Sure man you win, I don't want to argue about it.
    I'm not a fasteners professional. I was using hardened stainless steel fasteners for 30 years, but because I live in Asia, nobody knows a difference between a mushroom / button / flat head / pancake and alike. When you buy something you have to show them the sample, or just repeat last order and you get what you want.

Not sure what your intentions are, I feel like you are trying to discredit my choice.

I can assure you these bolts will last for the rest of my life, and my sons life, and my grandsons life. The router will more likely break sooner than these bolts.

I live in tropics, and everything here would rust in few days, so the stainless steel is the way to go. I buy the hardened stainless steel by default, and use it for everything.

I also do a lot of cutting and drilling in sometimes very thick stainless steel, and I put the material in the freezer prior to processing, or if it's too big, I put ice cubes on the cut line / hole to be. It really helps to process stainless steel / hardened stainless steel materials. I use cobalt tools for the stainless steel processing.

Anyway thanks again for your thorough input.

Here is the link to Phillips Button Head Bolt, which looks like those I used in this applications, but I bought them in the physical store near where I live, and on they are HARDENED STAINLESS STEEL, and slightly more expensive than 304 Stainless Steel. I assume they went through some heat treatment process.

https://www.lazada.com.my/products/s...kaAo4yEALw_wcB

So IF you believe it's wrong to call them button head bolts, I am sorry to have stirred up your peace.

The heads looks a bit flattened to me, but they are not totally flat, there is some slight arch.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by tiger carpenter; Oct 11, 2021 at 03:57 AM.

Thread Information