Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: How to set tiles correctly - GIF

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,711 Times in 9,874 Posts

How to set tiles correctly - GIF

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Altair For This Useful Post:

Andyt (Aug 2, 2021), BuffaloJohn (Jul 31, 2021), desbromilow (Jul 31, 2021), johncg (Aug 1, 2021), nova_robotics (Jul 31, 2021)

Thanks
    fricking good info!!!! sometimes straight is hard to doo...and some people cant...

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    I think the trowel he is using is too coarse.. the tile has waffle pattern on the bottom. Ideally the tile should bottom out on the underlayment with almost no airspace in the waffle pattern, making essentially a solid mass. In the demo it looks to me as if the tile is floating in the mortar, which will give the solid structure, but then you are relying on "feel" to get the tiles level and even.

The tiles in my house were laid by a previous owner, and while they bought decent quality materials the uneven surface, and grout gaps, make me a little nuts.....

Thanks
    I alwsys us a finer trowel. never had any breakags issue, but a few chip from **** droped on them...like claw hammer..on the claw end...**** happens. and somehow I put one in that had a chiped corner I didnt see....and it's right infront of my dam chair..20" sharp edge poorcillian...yes I sould change it but...I wood probably **** up the ones next to ti.... or the big mosaic adjacent to it...so, yup it stays. I did change the one that the claw got...only to frop something on that one and put a chip in it withen 3 months...and its' still there just fine 10 years lator. I paid for 1 room to be done..it was exelent.then the next guy did another room,,,it was ok. I did the rest of the house when I figured I could save a lot of$$$and do better than the exelent guy..and I did. I then got into travertine and fancy stuff....awesome!!! JUST VERY TIME CONSUMING WITH OCD...

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information