Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Kindling splitting tool - video

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

Toolmaker51 (Oct 15, 2020)

Supporting Member
    Thanks

Liquidhandwash's Tools
    the video should be knuckle spitting tool

2000 Tool Plans

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Liquidhandwash For This Useful Post:

NortonDommi (Oct 15, 2020), nova_robotics (Oct 14, 2020)

Thanks
    It’s simple, cheap and it works. Somewhat dangerous, but that is inversely proportional to age, awareness and intelligence.

Supporting Member TheElderBrother's Avatar
    Thanks
    If the blade was longer, you wouldn't need to reposition the work so often. You really want to make it as efficient an alternative as you can, and that means each split of the work piece should take one stroke. You could move the pivot point a few inches out, and make the blade deeper, which would also save you energy on the stroke.

And if you really wanted to get ambitious, you could make the cutting blade from heat-treatable steel, and that would also increase cutting efficiency.

But I like the concept. I may make one and test my theories, put my welder where my mouth is.

TheElderBrother

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,132 Times in 608 Posts

nova_robotics's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Liquidhandwash View Post
    the video should be knuckle spitting tool
    Yup. If you survive plunging a zip cut into that sheet metal with no guard on the angle grinder, the knuckle buster will get ya the first time you use the thing. Another 6" on that handle would be a nice addition.

Supporting Member Hoosiersmoker's Avatar
    Thanks
    Great use of leverage to cut kindling. I an concerned about the sharp edges / corners on that protrusion at the bottom. Have you considered a longer blade and eliminating that one that sicks out at the bottom? Definitely would make it harder to injure yourself

Thanks

NortonDommi's Tools
    From 2015: https://www.stuff.co.nz/business/sma...-business-deal
    https://www.kindlingcracker.com/

She is sitting pretty right now.
    The reason they are made in Australia is twofold. 1: her location foundries couldn't handle the volume for the American contracts and 2: The Australian government, unlike the NZ ones, backs small business and entrepreneurs.
    Last edited by NortonDommi; Oct 15, 2020 at 07:47 PM. Reason: Add information.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NortonDommi For This Useful Post:

Jon (Oct 15, 2020), Toolmaker51 (Oct 15, 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,977 Times in 1,892 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    No need to add on to the single greatest fault. But a simple hinge is another disadvantage, remedied by a compound link. But our firepit hungers for dry split kindling, so there is some sketching ahead, for when I get back to shop.
    Last edited by Toolmaker51; Oct 15, 2020 at 09:49 PM.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Jon
    Jon is offline Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,616 Times in 11,283 Posts
    A little better. By Metalmogul46. 0:44 video:

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

baja (Oct 21, 2020), Metallurg33 (Oct 20, 2020), nova_robotics (Oct 20, 2020), Sleykin (Oct 20, 2020)

Thanks
    So, this is obviously a "froejack".

Yes, yes, the first time in history anyone has uttered such a word. (Or not. There's probably a long-expired patent on one somewhere in the back stacks... There are SO many good ideas someone thought of and never did anything with, because inventors do NOT necessarily make good businesspeople - in fact, I have much experience in my first job fresh out of MBA school counseling startups that the correlation coefficient often felt like it approached -1 fairly closely at times. Not always, but often. :-)

I love the new version.

As a hobbyist knifemaker, I totally agree with TheElderBrother's suggestion to make the blade out of hardenable steel. Obvious suggestion for a cheap possibility would be a lawnmower blade, or the classic leaf spring off a car if you can find such a thing anymore/where you live. If you're anywhere near horse country, find a farrier and ask for an old file - they're useless once they wear down (which they do quickly) and they're fantastic, very well hardenable steel. (I got 6 off a friend's farrier just for asking and she was happy to give 'em to me.) You'll have to UNharden (anneal) the end with a torch to drill a hole in it for the pivot pin; keep the rest of the blade wrapped in a wet rag to keep from annealing it, and when you grind the edge go slow and dunk it in water often.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ACinSV For This Useful Post:

baja (Oct 21, 2020), Jon (Oct 20, 2020)

Thread Information