Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Lead hammer (lead cast to replace hide insert)

Supporting Member Philip Davies's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,019 Times in 342 Posts

Philip Davies's Tools

Lead hammer (lead cast to replace hide insert)

Lead hammer (lead cast to replace hide insert)-21897803-d13f-466c-94a5-c090f769a99c.jpg

Although it doesn’t last very long, I prefer to use a lead hammer when for example, scrolling material that’s twisted, to avoid marring it. A wooden mallet is too light and a hide mallet smokes and smells, and a brass or copper hammer is too dense. The hammers depicted will last a few sessions though and the mushrooms are easily removed, far easier than a copper insert. Hide inserts are fairly durable, but drop out, which is why I have these.
    As you can see, I hope, I take a cheap holesaw blade, tighten up a hose clamp, in order to make a form in which to cast the lead. NB Donning leather jacket, leather apron, gauntlets and visor beforehand. Tuck feet beneath an open drawer in case a droplet penetrates jeans and disappears behind tongue of boot. Which has happened more than once.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Philip Davies For This Useful Post:

Andyt (Sep 13, 2019), baja (Sep 13, 2019), Drew1966 (Sep 15, 2019), Jon (Sep 12, 2019), markcawston (Sep 15, 2019), Sleykin (Sep 13, 2019), Toolmaker51 (Sep 12, 2019)

Thanks

DIYSwede's Tools

Sourcing free lead (bring your own bucket)

Thanks for sharing, Philip!

Cheapo tip for free* lead alloy (app 2-3 % tin):
    Some forty years ago I had a need for lead, and a few dozens of kilos would suffice (I won't tell what for),
    so I fixed myself an improvised shovel from thin perforated steel plate with lotsa 4 mm holes in it.

Brought that and a few empty 10 L paint cans to the local .22 cal shooting range,
    and (at a time it wasn't in its intended use) I dug thru the sand bullet trap (or whatever it's called in H M English).
    The low energies of these bullets gives you fairly shallow and easy work. Sand sifts thru - bullets stays in the shovel.
    15 minutes of labor and the filled cans couldn't even be budged (113 kg per 10L).
    Had to empty them out to 1/3, and they still weighed app 35 kilos apiece...
    Smart thing: .22 bullets don't have any jackets and the thin plating goes into the dross, giving you a clean pour.

*Don't know if this practise is acceptable or allowed today, tho.
    I still haven't run out of lead, 40 years later.
    Filled a crushed tomato can last February to easily achieve a Q & D 4,4 kg point load weight for a colleague,
    instead of his suggested "Just turn away 55 % of this free cast iron block I brought you":

Lead hammer (lead cast to replace hide insert)-4.4-kg-lead-can.jpg Lead hammer (lead cast to replace hide insert)-finished-point-load.jpg

How to:
    Use a gas absorbing respirator and PPE as you already stated.
    Melt on a stovetop in an aluminium saucepan, though it takes some time and is tedious
    as the heat conductivity of lead is pretty bad, spoon out the dross and pour in mold/ into billets.

Lead hammer (lead cast to replace hide insert)-lunchtime.jpg Lead hammer (lead cast to replace hide insert)-lead-melting-skillet.jpg

Just my thruppence worth

2000 Tool Plans

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DIYSwede For This Useful Post:

baja (Sep 13, 2019), Sleykin (Sep 13, 2019), Toolmaker51 (Sep 12, 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,380 Times in 2,117 Posts

mklotz's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by DIYSwede View Post
    *Don't know if this practise is acceptable or allowed today, tho.
    LOL at the concept of harvesting lead from a shooting range...

Here in the liberal paradise of Kalifornia I live in a relatively small but affluent city. The city has a very nice park on the bluffs overlooking the Pacific - a great place to relax, picnic, or just cool off. Some excavation for drainage revealed a few spent bullets in the dirt. Research revealed that, during WWII, the area was used as a rifle training range. The millenial snowflakes got so scared you would have thought they had discovered an unexploded nuke.

The city, run by more uneducated snowflakes, promptly signed up for a clean-up that ultimately cost $14M they could ill afford. The park was closed for more than a year while they sanitized, purified, and blessed the dirt.

Generations of city residents had used the park since the armistice with no reported cases of lead-poisoning. All they really needed to do was erect a few signs saying, "Do not eat the dirt, $1000 fine and loss of your facebook profile" and everything would have been fine.

I wonder what they would do if I took a tiny sample of mercury, an element they fear almost as much as lead, to the city hall and told them I found it on the steps outside the building?
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

6. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to mklotz For This Useful Post:

baja (Sep 13, 2019), Papa Bill (Sep 17, 2019), rlm98253 (Sep 12, 2019), Sleykin (Sep 13, 2019), Toolmaker51 (Sep 12, 2019), wolfpaak (Sep 15, 2019), yvonf (Nov 6, 2021)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts

Thanks Philip Davies! We've added your Lead Hammer to our Hammers category,
    as well as to your builder page: Philip Davies's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information