Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Lockheed ring wing airliner concept - GIF

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,948 Times in 9,962 Posts

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Altair For This Useful Post:

clydeman (May 2, 2023), nova_robotics (May 2, 2023), Scotty1 (May 3, 2023)

Thanks

IntheGroove's Tools
    That couldn't produce much lift...

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    Thanked 8,798 Times in 4,214 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by IntheGroove View Post
    But it fly's so well on the computer
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

mwmkravchenko (May 2, 2023), Scotty1 (May 3, 2023)

Supporting Member mwmkravchenko's Avatar
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by IntheGroove View Post
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Closed_wing

https://siamagazin.com/lockheeds-con...wing-airliner/

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mwmkravchenko For This Useful Post:

Altair (May 3, 2023), nova_robotics (May 2, 2023)

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,152 Times in 621 Posts

nova_robotics's Tools
    It's an interesting design. I know they're trying to reduce losses associated with vortex shedding at the wing tips, but it looks like this would be a difficult plane to manage. It has a huge horizontal cross-section, so it's going to be much more at the mercy of turbulence, and storms/high winds/jet wash are going to have a much higher probability of flipping this thing while stationary. Also the engines are up too high. High thrust is going to push the nose down (see: 737 Max). I wonder why they didn't decide to mount the engines in a more conventional position under the winds?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,981 Times in 1,893 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Before it reaches any runway, it has to be built. Upon X amount of hours it'll need service.
    Do any buildings accommodate such a profile? Current hangers have a comparatively small set of secondary doors for vertical stabilizer, that might be half the height depicted here. Not to mention scissor lifts work to position airframe and powerplant techs; this will need man-bucket boom trucks as well.
    I'm no aeronautic engineer, but cannot visualize what lifting airfoil contour works on the "sides" of the torus. Then upper and lower portion seem not to offer surface area equivalent to a conventional fuselage, unless takeoff weight is perhaps halved.
    Regarding current methods of building wing spars, well that's going to invalidate all kinds of capital equipment.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Thanks
    Thanked 8,798 Times in 4,214 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Toolmaker51 View Post
    Before it reaches any runway, it has to be built. Upon X amount of hours it'll need service.
    Do any buildings accommodate such a profile? Current hangers have a comparatively small set of secondary doors for vertical stabilizer, that might be half the height depicted here. Not to mention scissor lifts work to position airframe and powerplant techs; this will need man-bucket boom trucks as well.
    I'm no aeronautic engineer, but cannot visualize what lifting airfoil contour works on the "sides" of the torus. Then upper and lower portion seem not to offer surface area equivalent to a conventional fuselage, unless takeoff weight is perhaps halved.
    Regarding current methods of building wing spars, well that's going to invalidate all kinds of capital equipment.
    And much of this is why it fly's on the computer, and someone's imagination. Draw a circle on a piece of paper then draw 2 horizontal lines through the circle trisecting the circle into 3rds the inner section of the lower 1 3rd and the outer section of the upper 1 3rd will be your available lift surfaces, a lot of the Lift actually comes from the top surfaces of a wing which has something to do with negative pressure created by air flow. In the case of a cylindrical shaped wing or ring, you can even call it a wing, would have another negative force interring into the equation I think it might be something like a vortex compression due to the near equal amount of vertical surfaces to the amount of horizontal or lifting surfaces. canting the ring wing back several degrees may elevate much of that plus there may even be some benefit from them by compressing the air flow it might even create accelerated flow as in how air flows through a venturi the down stream is accelerated as it exits. But the biggest fault as I see it is the lack of horizontal stabilization control How would you add flaps, slats or alerions to this design
    We have all seen cylindrical and box shaped kites that fly quite well though.
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

Scotty1 (May 3, 2023), Toolmaker51 (May 3, 2023)

Thanks

Toolmaker51's Tools
    When I was very young, I tried all manner of contours (in limited facilities of ~10 yo) to compress air through 'funnels' and create propulsion on paper airplane test-beds, kite shapes, later on rubber-band powered, being lightest available. Abject failures, fun, logical, mind twisting failures.
    However, developed good sketching, taking notes, measuring and timing skills, used countless times since. Took up actual flight classes, nailing ground school and simulator, then first gas crisis hit.
    Goodbye flying!
    Still not over it.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Toolmaker51 For This Useful Post:

Frank S (May 3, 2023), mwmkravchenko (May 3, 2023)

Thanks

odd one's Tools
    Some of my best flying paper airplanes that I made when I was younger were shaped like this. Very stable and controllable. I got the design from a navy guy that used to fly paper airplanes off of the back of aircraft carriers. You throw it with the ring forward and two fingers on top of the "tail". Thrown kind of like a ball.
    Lockheed ring wing airliner concept - GIF-paper-airplane.jpg
    Last edited by odd one; May 3, 2023 at 08:17 PM.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to odd one For This Useful Post:

nova_robotics (May 4, 2023), Scotty1 (May 3, 2023), Toolmaker51 (May 3, 2023)

Thanks

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by odd one View Post
    Some of my best flying paper airplanes that I made when I was younger were shaped like this. Very stable and controllable.
    Well, I'll be........! The contours I tried were tapered cylinders, not recalling any like odd one's. Of course there was less history for reference, lol.
    Ouch, pulled something laughing.
    https://www.google.com/search?client...aper+airplanes

All kinds of disparate opinions on origins, and far too much parroting of 'references' without citations. Hard to credit any unmechanized society with such advanced concepts. Da Vinci gets my vote.
    Last edited by Toolmaker51; May 3, 2023 at 08:49 PM.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51

Thread Information