Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Making a Deburring Tool from a Razor Handle

Thanks
    Thanked 1,440 Times in 655 Posts

Paul Jones's Tools

Making a Deburring Tool from a Razor Handle

I had an old Gillette Sensor Excel razor with a broken blade clip that couldn’t be repaired. I converted the handle part into a deburring tool handle. The razor handle has a great feel and provides an excellent way to deburr parts.

I advise wrapping the razor handle near the head-end with a few loops of copper wire and twisted close before sawing off the head-end. This prevents the thin stainless steel sheet metal on the handle wrapper from catching and bending when being cut.

Next, on the lathe, I made a new head-end part from stainless steel 303 rod for holding the E100 and S100 type deburring cutters from Shaviv. One end is drilled to fit the handle and the other end drilled and reamed 0.126” to fit the deburring cutter shank. The new stainless steel part has V-grooves spaced at 0.20” along the barrel. A 6-32 pointed end set screw captures the Shaviv deburring cutters while allowing free rotation. The new stainless steel part is 0.430” in diameter and drilled 0.358” (Letter T drill) by 0.63 deep. This part slides onto the razor handle and then held in place with Loctite 680 (or superglue slow setting gel).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Making a Deburring Tool from a Razor Handle-deburring-tool-made-gillette-razor-handle.jpg   Making a Deburring Tool from a Razor Handle-making-deburring-tool-razor-handle.jpg   Making a Deburring Tool from a Razor Handle-deburring-tool-parts-ready-assembly.jpg   Making a Deburring Tool from a Razor Handle-homemade-shaviv-deburring-tools.jpg   Making a Deburring Tool from a Razor Handle-reaming-0.126-inch-hole-deburring-tool.jpg  

Making a Deburring Tool from a Razor Handle-parting-off-deburring-tool-holder.jpg   Making a Deburring Tool from a Razor Handle-drilling-deburring-head-tapping-6-32-screw.jpg   Making a Deburring Tool from a Razor Handle-aligning-part-vise-tapping-6-32-screw.jpg   Making a Deburring Tool from a Razor Handle-tapping-6-32-thread-using-tap-guide.jpg   Making a Deburring Tool from a Razor Handle-deburring-hole-carbide-single-cut-spherical-burr.jpg  

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to Paul Jones For This Useful Post:

BrianW (Apr 23, 2020), C-Bag (Jun 25, 2016), dubbby (Apr 24, 2020), high-side (Apr 24, 2020), j.bickley (Apr 23, 2020), kbalch (Jun 24, 2015), lazarus (Jun 23, 2016), mklotz (Jun 21, 2016), mwmkravchenko (Feb 20, 2018), NortonDommi (Jun 16, 2018), piro222 (Feb 19, 2018), PJs (Jun 25, 2015), Quinton 357 (Apr 24, 2020), rendoman (Jun 29, 2016), rlm98253 (Feb 19, 2018), Toolmaker51 (Jun 25, 2016), Tuomas (Jun 25, 2016)

Thanks

Hotz's Tools
    Great idea, nice job ...

2000 Tool Plans
    Sorry my mistakes in english.
    to share your tip >>> http://www.homemadetools.net/forum/tool-tips-tricks/ <<<

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Hotz For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Jun 24, 2015)

Thanks
    Thanks Paul! Very clever and the best use of a cartridge razor I've ever seen. Dedicated DE guy here…

I've added your Deburring Tool to our Metalworking category, as well as to your builder page: Paul Jones' Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

6. The Following User Says Thank You to kbalch For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Jun 24, 2015)

Thanks

Paul Jones's Tools
    Thanks Ken. The moment I picked up the broken razor and felt its balance in my hand, I knew it deserved a second life ...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,639 Times in 402 Posts

rossbotics's Tools
    Kool idea Paul, I'll have to remember this one
    Comments are always welcome
    Doug

Subscribe to my you tube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDD..._as=subscriber

Tool Plans for Sale by rossbotics

9. The Following User Says Thank You to rossbotics For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Jun 25, 2015)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts
    Wow, that extra step in knurling the handle shows your dedication! Me, I would have used the handle as is.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to DIYer For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Jun 27, 2015)

Thanks

Paul Jones's Tools
    Quick Update:

I made a minor modification to the razor handle deburring tool by using a small 1/16" dia. ball bearing at the bottom of the set screw hole for better trapping the E100 and S100 type deburring cutters from Shaviv.

This allows the vee-recess in the deburring cutters to move freely and easily rotate against the smooth surface of the ball bearing. The ball bearing is loosely trapped at the bottom of the side hole with a 6-32 cup-end set screw. I used the green wicking type 290 Locktite to hold the set screw in place but it can be easily removed for replacing the deburring cutters as needed.

Thanks for looking,
    Paul Jones
    Last edited by Paul Jones; Feb 19, 2018 at 10:38 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,379 Times in 2,117 Posts

mklotz's Tools
    Well done, Paul.

Useful handles can be rescued from all sorts of things. Broken kitchen tools have yielded several for me. In the days when rubber stamps were still in wide use I collected the discards and fitted the handles with engraving burs and occasionally needle files.

Rather than sawing the head off and risk deforming the metal, perhaps a Dremel cutoff disk? I know from experience that when sectioning thin aluminum soda cans, that works better than scissors or box cutters.
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

14. The Following User Says Thank You to mklotz For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Jun 21, 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,977 Times in 1,892 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    While handy, the handle for replaceable deburr whips are too dang big for certain work, and never fit shirt pocket. This is far more useful. And reminds me of a post to contribute. Way behind on writing activities - been building what might be called an upright or open side sheetmetal brake.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Toolmaker51 For This Useful Post:

Paul Jones (Jun 25, 2016)

Thanks

Paul Jones's Tools
    I have to admit the old Gillette Sensor Excel razor handle has the best feel and heft for doing accurate deburring operations. The problem is the vintage Gillette Sensor Excel razors from have become an expensive item at the online auction site we all love and use. I would like to find another one with a broken head and make a second deburring tool for using other styles of debur cutters.

Thread Information