Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Making a large anvil

Supporting Member Garage workshop's Avatar
    Thanks

Garage workshop's Tools

Making a large anvil

Build video:

In this video I make an 35 kg (80 lbs) anvil from railroad track and some pieces of mild steel. I made the horn from two pieces of railroad track welded together as well as the hardie hole. I'm planning to add on a square horn on the other end in near future. I didn't film the rebound but I can assure you that it works great as you'll see from future projects made on it.

If you're planning on doing a project like this yourself be prepared for a lot of angle grinder cutting and shaping. It's pretty tiring and your hands may hurt the next day. If you have a torch or a plasma cutter this will be much easier. Also be prepared for a lot of welding and I burned probably 3kg of 7018 welding rod on this.

I've made this anvil about a year ago and it is working and holding great. I've already made quite a few projects on it and some of them were some heavy forgings which I'll upload soon. I'm trying to
    edit as much footage that I've filmed over the course of this year now that the school is over.

I would also suggest you watch this great video by Paul Krzyszkowski if you want to make your own anvil:

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Garage workshop For This Useful Post:

Hotz (Jul 25, 2015), kbalch (Jul 17, 2015)

Thanks
    Thanks Garage workshop! I've added your Anvil to our Anvils category, as well as to your builder page: Garage workshop's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,268 Times in 9,727 Posts
    That's a lot of metal removal. All that effort paid off.

Al

Thanks

jere's Tools
    Interesting approach to building an anvil. I would have been nervous about pouring water on it. Was that for tempering or just to be able to work with it?

If you come across price of rr track you should weld the anvil you made to the track standing up long ways. It will give you some properties of a 500 lbs anvil. Set it all up so it is your elbow height at its highest from the floor.

You should limit the use with the grinder especially if you are having problems the next dayhttp://www.ccohs.ca/oshanswers/phys_agents/vibration/vibration_effects.html . I take breaks and do some other work every so often if I am doing a lot of work with a grinder.

Thanks

Garage workshop's Tools
    Pouring of water was mainly to be able to work on it. The anvil wasn't really all that hot but because of the mass of it, it takes a lot of time to cool it off.

I'm planning on building an even larger anvil, somewhere in the 100kg range but it will take some time to start on that.

I agree on the grinder work and this was done on the course of several days but still you get some soreness but nothing too bad.

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts
    That a nice anvil! The effort that you put into it shows.

Thanks

Garage workshop's Tools
    Thank you!

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information