Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Making a Rosette Circle Cutter

Supporting Member Dimitris Polychronis's Avatar
    Thanks

Dimitris Polychronis's Tools

Making a Rosette Circle Cutter

Hello everyone,

A few months ago I was commissioned by a luthier to make a circle cutter for the decorative rosette of acoustic guitars.
    I'm familiar with circle cutters - as I assume all of you are; but I didn't know that there was such a specific cutter.

I found this project interesting and a bit challenging because till then I was making tools either for my own use or for friends. I accepted doing it but first I had to deal with one of the most important parts of this tool and that was the making of the blades, something I didn't know how to do. So I asked my friend, fellow YouTuber and also a member of this forum @anthonyget, Nick for his help on making the blades.

Now I'll not tire you here more, there are pictures of all the parts I've needed to make as well as a video of making this tool. Having Nick's permission I've also posted his video of making and testing the blades.

The body and the handle of the tool
    Making a Rosette Circle Cutter-p1170197.jpg Making a Rosette Circle Cutter-p1170198.jpg Making a Rosette Circle Cutter-p1170199.jpg
    Making a Rosette Circle Cutter-p1170200.jpg Making a Rosette Circle Cutter-p1170201.jpg Making a Rosette Circle Cutter-p1170202.jpg

Thumb screws, blade holder, arms, fine feed guide and plastic-brass pads
    Making a Rosette Circle Cutter-p1170205.jpg Making a Rosette Circle Cutter-p1170206.jpg Making a Rosette Circle Cutter-p1170207.jpg
    Making a Rosette Circle Cutter-p1170208.jpg Making a Rosette Circle Cutter-p1170209.jpg

Making a Rosette Circle Cutter-p1170210.jpg Making a Rosette Circle Cutter-p1170211.jpg Making a Rosette Circle Cutter-p1170212.jpg

Regards from Greece
    Dimitris P.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dimitris Polychronis For This Useful Post:

anthonyget (May 21, 2023), butlerandrew (May 22, 2023), Christophe Mineau (May 22, 2023), Inner (May 22, 2023), Jon (May 21, 2023)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,852 Times in 1,653 Posts

Thanks Dimitris Polychronis! We've added your Rosette Circle Cutter to our Luthiery category,
    as well as to your builder page: Dimitris Polychronis's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

4. The Following User Says Thank You to DIYer For This Useful Post:

Dimitris Polychronis (May 22, 2023)

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,829 Times in 11,334 Posts
    Congratulations Dimitris Polychronis - your Rosette Circle Cutter is the Homemade Tool of the Week!

This is a beautiful and well thought-out tool, especially with the custom blades.

Some more good builds from this week:

Striking Anvil by Catfish
    Gin Pole by Frank S
    Heavy Duty Jack Stand by Frank S
    Electrode Holder by Occasional machinist
    Dial Gauge Adaptor by PaulsGarageProjects
    Vise Stand by tmate3
    Clevis Pin by Frank S
    ER40 Collet Chuck by Alans Home Workshop
    Knurling Tool by celsoari

Dimitris Polychronis - you'll be receiving a $100 online gift card, in your choice of Amazon, PayPal, or bitcoin. Please PM me your current email address and gift card choice and I'll get it sent over right away. I can also split this award between you and anthonyget if you like.

More importantly, this is your 5th Homemade Tool of the Week win! I've just added the silver wrench-on-pedestal graphic to the awards showcase in your postbit, visible underneath your avatar.

Great job, and you're in excellent company joining these other 5-time winners: rgsparber, rossbotics, Christophe Mineau, Brendon, Frank S, mklotz, Vyacheslav.Nevolya, brianhw, LMMasterMariner, jjr2001, Tuomas, olderdan, tonyfoale, bobs409, thehomeengineer, celsoari, Stevohdee, warsztatOdZera, AB-SHOP, and My MiniCrafts.

Here are all five of your Homemade Tool of the Week winning tools.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Jon For This Useful Post:

Dimitris Polychronis (May 26, 2023)

Supporting Member Dimitris Polychronis's Avatar
    Thanks

Dimitris Polychronis's Tools
    Thank you very much Jon, I appreciate it! Please, split the award, without Nick's - anthonyget - participation this tool could not be made.

All the best
    Dimitris

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Last edited by Dimitris Polychronis; May 27, 2023 at 03:52 AM.

Thread Information