Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Measuring Inside Dimensions with a Tape Measure

Thanks
    Thanked 2,764 Times in 650 Posts

rgsparber's Tools

Measuring Inside Dimensions with a Tape Measure

Measuring inside dimensions with a decent tape measure is easy. Extend the tape until the end touches one side of the recess while pressing the back of the body of the tape measure against the other side of the recess. Then add the marked offset of the tape measure to the reading on the tape. For example, my tape measure has an offset of 3 inches. I read 28 5/8 inches on the tape.

OK, so that is 3 + 28 5/8 or 30 5/8. Hmmm, something is wrong here.

This error should be obvious as you read it, but it is not always so easy for me to spot when the numbers are floating around inside my fuzzy brain. I needed a less error-prone method.

If you are interested, please, click here.

Your comments are welcome. All of us are smarter than any one of us.

Thanks,

Rick

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Rick

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to rgsparber For This Useful Post:

Carnel (Aug 31, 2021), cmarlow (Sep 6, 2021), Dragonhand (Aug 31, 2021), Jon (Sep 2, 2021), mr mikey (Sep 10, 2023), RetiredFAE (Aug 30, 2021), Toolmaker51 (Sep 1, 2021), uv8452 (Aug 30, 2021)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,852 Times in 1,653 Posts

Thanks rgsparber! We've added your Tape Measure Inside Measuring Attachment to our Measuring and Marking category,
    as well as to your builder page: rgsparber's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    Hi Rick,
    An inexpensive alternative to a tape measure (or your custom measuring device) for exact measurement of inside dimensions is the “EZ Measure Stick” available online from ezwoodshop.com. This is a fantastic little device featuring an expandable, telescoping rod assembly that, as the manufacturer says, allows you to do “No-Math Measuring” of distances especially inside measurements.
    Weblink - EZ Measure Stick from EZwoodshop.com
    I purchased the “Jumbo Measure Stick” package several years ago and have used it many times for household repairs and woodworking projects (current price usd 29.95) – also good for rough measurements of metal projects. This pack includes a “Mini Measure Stick” extending from 7.6 cm to 21.6 cm (3” to 8.5”) & two “Large Measure Sticks”. One large Measure Stick alone can measure from 17 cm to 116 cm (6-3/4” to 45-3/4”) & two large Measure Sticks (combined via a centre coupling) can extend from 47 cm to 234 cm (18-1/2”to 92-1/4”)
    I also purchased a third Large Measure Stick which features triangular-shaped ends for corner-to-corner measurements – Alas, ezwoodshop doesn’t seem to sell these anymore.
    On first sight I thought these measure sticks might not be accurate for the following reasons:
    a) too flexible, or
    b) would slip out of the measured distance either during removal (e.g. from a constrained space) or during transport to the destination, or
    c) be unable to accurately mark down the measured distance at the destination.
    Wrong on all counts - In reality, the rod assembly is just flexible enough, and the rod-to-rod fit is just stiff enough that the assembly doesn’t move. Also, each end has a “sharp, angled tip” which lies flat and allows marking with either a pencil or a scriber.
    Gary Kingsep

Supporting Member Philip Davies's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,022 Times in 343 Posts

Philip Davies's Tools
    I may have put this forward before. Working with learning disabled assistants, I tell them not to use a tape measure. Actually, I usually only use one to elicit approximate dimensions. The EZ Measuring Stick sounds like pinch rods. You can hardly go wrong with pinch rods and the method is easier if you devise a method of clamping.Measuring Inside Dimensions with a Tape Measure-image.jpgMeasuring Inside Dimensions with a Tape Measure-image.jpg .The first picture shows a pair for testing diagonals on doorways, etc. The second show a short rod or stick to measure the inside of a box.
    Measuring Inside Dimensions with a Tape Measure-image.jpgThis is a close up of a clamp on the first picture.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,391 Times in 2,118 Posts

mklotz's Tools
    Yes, nearly every shop will contain a yard stick, a foot rule and a six inch scale (or the metric equivalents for these). Armed with those and a C-clamp (and a powerful scientific calculator capable of adding two digit numbers ) one can calculate the interior length of most anything.
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Thanks

rgsparber's Tools
    The ends of wood rulers can get torn up so don’t read right. I have a steel 2’ ruler with an extra 1/8” on the ends.

Rick
    Rick

Thanks
    Thanked 2,981 Times in 1,893 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    I like all these solutions, commercial EZ Measuring sticks, the ancient pinch rod, and clamping scales together. The big advantage to Mr. Sparber's device is far greater range, limited only by length of tape measure.
    Note; not all tape measure cases are such an easily figured size...

P.S. per your note in post *8. The photo + description of calibrating vs a flat scale makes this all the more worthy. Having an estimated dozen tapes makes adjustable compensation most sensible.

Why so many? I like them magnetic tipped for metalworking, laying out spaces for equipment, wiring, furniture, makes a centering tape ultra handy, the little 12'ers are distributed in vehicles and backpack for haunting surplus yards (imperial & metric in one!), extra-wide tapes for high upright measure needing a lot of tape rigidity, one each on various saws.....not to mention folding rules - engineers in 1/10ths, mason's, carpentry (with the slider).
    Last edited by Toolmaker51; Sep 2, 2021 at 11:35 AM.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Thanks

rgsparber's Tools
    I updated the article to address the problem of odd width tape measure enclosures. You can use a ruler flanking the setup to calibrate.

Rick
    Rick

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rgsparber For This Useful Post:

clavius (Mar 5, 2023), Toolmaker51 (Sep 2, 2021)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rgsparber View Post
    I updated the article to address the problem of odd width tape measure enclosures. You can use a ruler flanking the setup to calibrate.

Rick
    Rick, I for one really appreciate the fact that you often go back and update your articles based on comments posted here, even those that border on being critical or negative.

And by the way, adding the QR code linking to the article is REALLY clever. Nicely done!

Thanks
    One method that does not require any thing is to put the end of the tape against one side make a mark at 5",10", 15" or some other number, flip the tape around the other way and add whatever reading you get at marked number.
    I like the idea you have but, as murphy's law has it you would be on the third floor and your device would be on the first.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information