Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 41 of 59 FirstFirst ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 LastLast

Thread: Metric vs. other measurement systems - chart

Thanks

Moby Duck's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by old kodger View Post
    Yes, displacement seems most likely, 'tho I don't recall ever being asked about it's dead weight. Lloyd might know, or perhaps his brother George.
    I think Lloyd George knows my father.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thanks
    curious george?yes he would for sure know how many barrels of monkeys it would hold. witch would be half of the rating as the other half had barrels of bananas in it. unless the monkeys poop over board then they can add some more barrels to the deck.but it would be over weight till the monkeys ate&pooped over deck.or died or thrown in to feed the sharks for the monkeys entertainment...try to stay on the monkeys good side.but always remember they are swingers....

2000 Tool Plans

Supporting Member
    Thanks

old kodger's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Moby Duck View Post
    I think Lloyd George knows my father.
    My dad knows Lloyd George. .......to the music please.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,977 Times in 1,892 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Ounces. Inches. Meters. Furlongs. Nautical Miles. Thousandths. MPH. Pounds. Kilo's. Grams. Grains. Hands. KPH. Stones. PSI. Nm. Troy. Avd. C°. F°. Hours...

I suspect most people comprehend reading of thermometers and odometers, less for scales and protractors, some don't get the 24 hour clock, and well known challenges facing tape measures. So then we found off-beat comparisons, that try to relate scale of one thing to others, such as football fields.
    This I swear is real, someone wishing to sell a grapple. Of all things in a household, a grapple not top of many lists,
    Metric vs. other measurement systems - chart-neither_imperial_nor_metric.jpg
    yet remotes are identical, right?
    Last edited by Toolmaker51; Jul 9, 2021 at 03:43 PM. Reason: corr. of sp. typo. b4 2 many take note & P.S. me
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Supporting Member bruce.desertrat's Avatar
    Thanks

bruce.desertrat's Tools
    LOL, You're supposed to use a banana for scale!

https://knowyourmeme.com/photos/6617...a-for-scale--4

(although, actually that particular remote is a very common model..it used to be the one that came with most Cox or Comcast cable boxes, so it's not particularly stupid to use it)

And some wag has made a standard aluminum banana for scaling purposes (this is a still from one of Hand Tool Rescue's videos on youtube ) https://i.redd.it/6688tff4tq531.png

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bruce.desertrat For This Useful Post:

Philip Davies (Jul 10, 2021), Toolmaker51 (Jul 9, 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,977 Times in 1,892 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    So, to negotiate purchase I have to change cable companies? Whew, at least not a golfer.
    Not sure a 'standard banana' exists; average, maybe. In a lopped-off bunch, are not bottom rows longer and straighter?
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Supporting Member
    Thanks

old kodger's Tools
    All I know is that by ANY comparator, I'm getting shorter.

Supporting Member Philip Davies's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,019 Times in 342 Posts

Philip Davies's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Toolmaker51 View Post
    Ounces. Inches. Meters. Furlongs. Nautical Miles. Thousandths. MPH. Pounds. Kilo's. Grams. Grains. Hands. KPH. Stones. PSI. Nm. Troy. Avd. C°. F°. Hours...

I suspect most people comprehend reading of thermometers and odometers, less for scales and protractors, some don't get the 24 hour clock, and well known challenges facing tape measures. So then we found off-beat comparisons, that try to relate scale of one thing to others, such as football fields.
    This I swear is real, someone wishing to sell a grapple. Of all things in a household, a grapple not top of many lists,
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	neither_imperial_nor_metric.jpg 
Views:	135 
Size:	136.8 KB 
ID:	40095
    yet remotes are identical, right?
    Cubits. Remember, cubits. They came first!
    Magnet fishing has become quite popular. But although they can lift a lot, more than a hand of bananas, I should think a grapple would be a useful accessory for things like motorbikes, etc.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Philip Davies For This Useful Post:

Toolmaker51 (Jul 10, 2021)

Supporting Member
    Thanks

old kodger's Tools
    I heard, yesterday, what I consider is the definitive way to measure the size of a lawn.
    A freind of mine is a real estate agent and he tells me that the recognized way to determine the size of a lawn is the number of "tinnies" (cans of beer), that it takes to mow it.
    He went on to say that a local builder prices all his jobs by "slabs", ie. cartons of beer. Which when you think about it is not so silly because the jobs rarely change in the amount of work to be done, but the ever increasing cost of living changes the price constantly, so a slab of beer rises consistently with the cost of living,.......no more calculating to be done.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to old kodger For This Useful Post:

NortonDommi (Jul 12, 2021)

Thanks

NortonDommi's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Toolmaker51 View Post
    So, to negotiate purchase I have to change cable companies? Whew, at least not a golfer.
    Not sure a 'standard banana' exists; average, maybe. In a lopped-off bunch, are not bottom rows longer and straighter?
    The E.U tried to standardise Bananas by length, weight, straightness, allowable bend to length ratio and colour. This cause many plantations to be plowed under or abandoned causing an international Banana shortage and crippling a few countries economies.
    The U.N.G.C. actually overruled their European branch office the E.U. on that one.

Now I have a question for everybody. How many metres in a mile?

Thread Information