Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Mini sprinkler for sprouts

Thanks

Mini sprinkler for sprouts

I'm trying to build my own sprouting system for every kind of sprouts.
    Obv, there are a lot of prepackaged tool (like this one for example), but they are very expensive considering that they are only made of plastic! So, I fend with some cheapest solution (stacked colanders and collector for water).
    Now, I'd like to improve my own "creation" adding to it a mini-sprinkler to sprinkle water at predefined intervals. The idea is similar to the sprouter in this photo, where you can see the helical sprinkler at the top of the sprouter.
    However, I don't know where to start and what to buy and I'm here to ask your help.

Thanks in advance to everyone.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thanks
    I'm not the least bit familiar with sprouts, but from the looks of the first pic it looks like a stacking food dehydrator's stacking trays may be a good start.

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bustedknuckle View Post
    I'm not the least bit familiar with sprouts, but from the looks of the first pic it looks like a stacking food dehydrator's stacking trays may be a good start.
    Not too sure I've understand it well, but I've already built my own system using colanders. What I need now is only a sprinkler to moist the sprouts even when I'm not at home.

Jon
    Jon is offline Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,618 Times in 11,284 Posts
    Just adding some of these pics inline, so people can see what the pre-made commercial units look like.

Is your plan to use these just for sprouting, or also to grow grasses? (And I mean that in the perfectly legal sense, despite the fact that I am from Colorado ).

Sounds like you've already solved half the problem with stacked colanders. So, what's left? Pump on a timer with some tubing and a fine misting nozzle?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mini sprinkler for sprouts-sprouter1.jpg   Mini sprinkler for sprouts-sprouter2.jpg   Mini sprinkler for sprouts-sprouter3.jpg  

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Is your plan to use these just for sprouting, or also to grow grasses? (And I mean that in the perfectly legal sense, despite the fact that I am from Colorado ).
    Oh, come on, lucky lucky you . I'm planning to have a journey in Colorado sooner or later; you know, it's not around the corner!!
    Ok, returning to the main theme, for now I'd like to use these just for sprouting, but in the next future I'd like to build another system on my own for grow grasses. But maybe this deserves a different thread!

Sounds like you've already solved half the problem with stacked colanders. So, what's left? Pump on a timer with some tubing and a fine misting nozzle?
    Direct hit! Some useful tips on this?
    I came to the conclusion that what I need is (correct me if I am wrong):
    - container for water (something like a bowl is just enough)
    - a mini pump like this one. What do you think about it? Can i directly connect the pump to the power point/timer or do I need something else? The 12V power is pure gold and I have an old power supply for a PC: can I use it in some way to connect the pump to the mains?
    - a timer to activate the pump every X hours. Are these kind of timer produced? I mean, I've only seen timer that activate at hour X every day, but never seen one that activates every X hours during day. Also, because the pump's flow is very low and the "Freshlife 3000 automatic sprouter" you posted use a permanent watering system, maybe I can also avoid to use a timer at all.

Jon
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Can you run this off of a garden hose connection? Then you could use an irrigation timer on the hose, and completely eliminate the cost of the pump. It would also give you enough pressure to run a very fine atomizing mister.

Then you could use one of those prefab "outdoor mist kits" that people use for outdoor areas in hot climates, like this one: Amazon.com : Orbit 20066 Portable 1/4-Inch Outdoor Mist Cooling System : Garden Hose Parts : Patio, Lawn & Garden .
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Mini sprinkler for sprouts-mistkit1.jpg   Mini sprinkler for sprouts-mistkit2.jpg  

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Can you run this off of a garden hose connection? Then you could use an irrigation timer on the hose, and completely eliminate the cost of the pump. It would also give you enough pressure to run a very fine atomizing mister.

Then you could use one of those prefab "outdoor mist kits" that people use for outdoor areas in hot climates, like this one: Amazon.com : Orbit 20066 Portable 1/4-Inch Outdoor Mist Cooling System : Garden Hose Parts : Patio, Lawn & Garden .
    Hey Jon, thanks for your time
    Well, the outdoor mist kit is a damn good idea. I can also use a system like it to moist other kind of sprouts.
    What I'm concerned about is its size. I mean, I have to built all for a very little system (about 30x30x50 cm). Also, it's placed in the kitchen (on the fridge to be precise) and I don't have full availability of the tap to attach a timer+hose on it. Moreover, I don't need so much water, just very very little (100 cc every 6-8 hours or something like that).
    So, maybe I can install some smaller nozzles on the mini pump.
    What do you think about it?

Jon
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    My only concern is that the pump might not provide the pressure necessary to power one of those super-fine misting nozzles. I'd hate for you to turn on the pump and water just dribbles out of those nozzles. You'd have to be certain to match the pump PSI to the necessary PSI for whatever misting nozzle you used.

Thanks
    In my opinion you'll need a more robust pump. 6mL/min = 1-1/2 cups/hour.
    It will be easier to use regular line voltage e.g. 120 VAC.
    Timer $13.58: Grasslin by Intermatic Timer, heavy duty, grounded, for ACs/heaters, 125V, 3 on/off settings
    Mfr. Part#: TN311, Allied Stock#: 70132087 Allied Electronics...
    Pump @ $12.95: WA65 Mini Fountain Pump<br>(PT707, PT808, PT909, PT1020, FT70 <br>Replacement Pump)
    66 GPH is >1-GPM so rig a bypass loop with a valve such that you can control the flow to your sprouts.

Thanks
    I like my projects as simple as possible. Drip irrigation is used successfully around the world. So how about letting gravity do your work? Water bucket as reservoir above your sprouts connected to a small hose with a valve to regulate the water flow.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information