Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Model Engine Review - Enjomor Whippet

Supporting Member editor@glue-it.com's Avatar
    Thanks

editor@glue-it.com's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Toolmaker51 View Post
    The texture of casting might be imparted by etching or shot blasting. Blast might edge out for appearance, it'll blend every tool mark evenly. There might be a way to texture paint or add a 'contaminant' instead. But they are beautiful raw.
    When I needed a super finish on narrow surfaces, the trick was stoning one flute off a two flute end mill, making it a fly cutter, but makes clean corners tedious.
    thanks, I did tumble them in ceramic beads for a few hours, but this probably needed to run for hours and I got fed up of the noise in the workshop...

The modified two flute mill is a good tip, will have a go, Thanks, Nigel

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thanks
    Thanked 2,977 Times in 1,892 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by editor@glue-it.com View Post
    thanks, I did tumble them in ceramic beads for a few hours, but this probably needed to run for hours and I got fed up of the noise in the workshop...

The modified two flute mill is a good tip, will have a go, Thanks, Nigel
    We tumble a vibe-bowl full of brass cartridge casings at a time, couldn't be noisier than that.
    Hint, 2 cardboard boxes; one a decent bit larger, inverted over the tumbler. Lift one side for air circulation, best if not directed to adjacent wall reflecting the escaping noise. Non scientific testing made it seem the boxes not being centered broke up the sound a bit more. Solid furniture or the floor works better than a library style table too.

2000 Tool Plans
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Supporting Member editor@glue-it.com's Avatar
    Thanks

editor@glue-it.com's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Toolmaker51 View Post
    We tumble a vibe-bowl full of brass cartridge casings at a time, couldn't be noisier than that.
    Hint, 2 cardboard boxes; one a decent bit larger, inverted over the tumbler. Lift one side for air circulation, best if not directed to adjacent wall reflecting the escaping noise. Non scientific testing made it seem the boxes not being centered broke up the sound a bit more. Solid furniture or the floor works better than a library style table too.
    sounds like a large workshop, my workshop is just 11' x 7' inside! The tumbler is bolted to the wall - a mistake as it amplifies the vibration, but I have no more room!

Model Engine Review - Enjomor Whippet-workshop02.jpg

Thanks
    Thanked 2,977 Times in 1,892 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Yes, is somewhat larger...but not more pleasant, inspiring, and often less productive. Certainly not more convenient! It did however cost less than renting equal square footage in Southern California. Result of purchase/ having ownership/ instant equity was just over 6 years at 2005 rates; could easily be 4 or less now. Plus, out of the liberal nonsense.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Thread Information