Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: A Pneumatic Horizontal Bandsaw Feedrate Limiter

Thanks
    Thanked 2,763 Times in 650 Posts

rgsparber's Tools

A Pneumatic Horizontal Bandsaw Feedrate Limiter

Once in a while, I must cut very thin stock on my horizontal bandsaw. This requires a low feedrate. Sure I can do this by slowly lowering the arm but it can get tedious. A solution is to have a saw attachment that can be quickly dropped in place to do the task. Here is one such tool.

A centerpiece of this article is turning eccentric spigots on round stock.

If you are interested, please see

https://rick.sparber.org/PneumaticFeedrateControl.pdf

Your comments are welcome. All of us are smarter than any one of us.

Thanks,

Rick

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Rick

2. The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to rgsparber For This Useful Post:

baja (May 1, 2021), Dorn (Mar 7, 2019), Jon (Mar 6, 2019), Karl_H (Mar 7, 2019), mwmkravchenko (May 4, 2021), nova_robotics (Apr 30, 2021), Okapi (Mar 11, 2019), Paul Jones (Mar 7, 2019), saintrain (Apr 7, 2019), Scotsman Hosie (Mar 7, 2019), Seedtick (Mar 6, 2019), Sleykin (Mar 10, 2019)

Thanks

Karl_H's Tools
    Cool!
    AirShim hacked a blood pressure cuff for carpenters to use; you hacked it back closer to a BP cuff.

2000 Tool Plans

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,236 Times in 9,716 Posts

Thanks rgsparber! We've added your Pneumatic Horizontal Bandsaw Feedrate Limiter to our Bandsaws category,
    as well as to your builder page: rgsparber's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

Thanks

Okapi's Tools
    A good idea for people who hasn't access to a Festo store, inexpensive and perfect for occasional use.
    Making sometimes such regulators for a more durable use when you doesn't have any air loss, as you make it with a long threaded metal part, you can make a more sophisticated end at your screw with a O-ring which gave a better sealing, as I have a lot of cut small parts, the use of square aluminium(and 4 jaws chucks on my lathes) permit to screw the part on the construction, turned with eccentricity as yours.

Thanks

rgsparber's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Okapi View Post
    A good idea for people who hasn't access to a Festo store, inexpensive and perfect for occasional use.
    Making sometimes such regulators for a more durable use when you doesn't have any air loss, as you make it with a long threaded metal part, you can make a more sophisticated end at your screw with a O-ring which gave a better sealing, as I have a lot of cut small parts, the use of square aluminium(and 4 jaws chucks on my lathes) permit to screw the part on the construction, turned with eccentricity as yours.
    If I understand correctly, the O ring goes on the end of the screw to give a tighter seal when closed. I can see where that would work nicely but it might cause another problem. When the screw is backed off a little, air flows in the threads. The longer the distance in the threads, the more resistance. With that O ring at the end, how does air get into the threads?

Rick
    Rick

Thanks

Okapi's Tools
    You use a screw with a conical ending and a not threaded part for the O-ring, the air comes from one side and more you screw and less air can go through it until you come to the plain part which close the diameter.
    You just need enough place to make the plain seat after the threads.

Thanks

rgsparber's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Okapi View Post
    You use a screw with a conical ending and a not threaded part for the O-ring, the air comes from one side and more you screw and less air can go through it until you come to the plain part which close the diameter.
    You just need enough place to make the plain seat after the threads.
    Thanks for the clarification. Now I see why this works. I do have some very small O rings. Just need to redesign the seat of the screw.

Rick

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Rick

Thread Information