Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Resistors for current measurement

Thanks
    Thanked 6,378 Times in 2,116 Posts

mklotz's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotsman Hosie View Post
    After the 1st number of years — and easily as many blown up meters — I discovered I could blow up a $5.oo meter, with about the same efficacy as I could a more expensive model. And since, truth be told, I rarely needed the kind of sensitivity of either a Simpson or a Fluke, I defaulted to always having an extra meter handy. Kinda like having an extra truck key. (And I probably saved a couple thousand dollars, over the last 40 years.)

On another note, I did a helluva lot better, when I started marking the damned dials. So I could clearly tell what settings I had them on.
    One of Harbor Freight's freebies is a small digital VOM. I've tested a few and they're accurate enough for doing TLAR electrical work.

I might use them as you suggest but when I get them I usually raid them for their nine volt battery to use in in my homemade electronic test gear.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    https://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

2. The Following User Says Thank You to mklotz For This Useful Post:

Scotsman Hosie (Feb 25, 2019)

Supporting Member Scotsman Hosie's Avatar
    Thanks

Scotsman Hosie's Tools
    Those are the ones I've been using for the last 15 or 20 years. Always have at least a couple 'ahead' — for when one craps out.

On the other hand, I'm always knocked out by your craftsmanship — and ability to come up with so many useful gadgets. And keep track of them all. How do you keep track of 'em all?

2000 Tool Plans
    Last edited by Scotsman Hosie; Feb 25, 2019 at 08:43 AM.

Thanks

mklotz's Tools
    On the other hand, I'm always knocked out by your craftsmanship — and ability to come up with so many useful gadgets. And keep track of them all. How do you keep track of 'em all?
    Thanks much for the compliments.

Well, I'm blessed with (cursed by sometimes) a near eidetic visual memory. [My wife marvels that I can walk into the room where she's viewing a TV movie and, with a casual glance at the screen, remark that I've seen the movie before.]

With this kind of memory, I can mentally review in detail all the things I've built. It's especially helpful when I wish to design something new. I seldom put plans on paper and do all the design work in my head. Occasionally I'll make small working sketches to work out complex dimensions.

It also helps in finding stuff. Most times I can picture which side of which drawer or cupboard an item of interest is located. I reinforce this by always storing something for the first time in the first sensible place that occurs to me knowing full well that that place will pop to mind when I go to find it in the future.

It appears to be an inheritable trait. Like me, my oldest daughter can instantly tell you whether a picture/drawing/map was located on the left side page or right in an opened book.

Neither of us are totally eidetic. We can't visualize text we've read and 'reread' it unless the text happens to be part of a pictorial representation.

Another surprising thing is the fact that my general memory deteriorates with age (now 77) normally; most days I can't tell you what I had for dinner yesterday. Yet the eidetic thing doesn't seem to deteriorate. It's probably housed in some part of the brain distinct from where 'normal' memory is kept.
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware

5. The Following User Says Thank You to mklotz For This Useful Post:

Toolmaker51 (Feb 20, 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,977 Times in 1,892 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by 12bolts View Post
    The use of resistors in this situation is called a "shunt"
    Another method for measuring high current draw is to measure across the supply lead that oft times goes from the power source directly to the load. Disconnect, and, accurately measure the resistance of that lead, and you have a "known" shunt value. Reconnect, and then measure the current draw and you achieve the same result

Cheers Phil
    Shunt. Yep, will be inquiring further on both selecting and finding those.
    Here, at least three heavier machines will enjoy ammeters to gauge motor loads while cutting.

Already know, there is a narrow threshold between TLAR and opening a can of Lucas Smoke. Color me disappointed, positive I had a meme for that.
    yup
    https://brandonmgclub.com/store/3030...LucasSmoke.jpg
    Last edited by Toolmaker51; Feb 20, 2023 at 03:44 PM.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Thanks

WmRMeyers's Tools
    After the 1st number of years — and easily as many blown up meters — I discovered I could blow up a $5.oo meter, with about the same efficacy as I could a more expensive model. And since, truth be told, I rarely needed the kind of sensitivity of either a Simpson or a Fluke, I defaulted to always having an extra meter handy. Kinda like having an extra truck key. (And I probably saved a couple thousand dollars, over the last 40 years.)

On another note, I did a helluva lot better, when I started marking the damned dials. So I could clearly tell what settings I had them on.
    I generally have no fewer than 3 of the very cheapest DVM's Harbor Freight carries. There is supposed to be one for each vehicle, plus the house, but they seem to vanish sometimes. I've also got at least 3 of their more expensive DVM's, and a couple for Radio Shack (tells you about how long I've had them) and I think I still have a VTVM stashed in a cabinet somewhere... \

With all that, I still had to go buy a new one, for $7.99!!! a few weeks ago. Could not find a DVM anywhere in my house!!! Also found one of their fancier ones on sale open box for $63, and grabbed that, too. Measures all the usual stuff, plus light and sound... Could be handy! If I can find it again!

Bill

Thanks

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by mklotz View Post
    <<<<<<snip>>>>>> It also helps in finding stuff. Most times I can picture which side of which drawer or cupboard an item of interest is located. I reinforce this by always storing something for the first time in the first sensible place that occurs to me knowing full well that that place will pop to mind when I go to find it in the future.
    When elected President, shall I make that law?
    I have at least 3 dozen constituents....
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Toolmaker51 View Post
    When you win, I'd like to the secretary of war.
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    When you win, I'd like to the secretary of war.
    Deal; but I'll have to rename it accordingly. Defense is a little too apathetic.
    You are a shoe-in for Department of Transportation, by the way.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51

Thanks

mklotz's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Toolmaker51 View Post
    You can be president but I'm holding out for king ! :-) It's going to take some draconian changes to sort out the current mess and I don't want any damned liberal parliament getting in my way.
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware

Thanks

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Occurs now to me, about getting first things first; starting out with a wise king might be the answer.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51

Thread Information