Free 173 Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 500+ homemade tool plans, tool build guides, ebooks, and much more.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Resistors for current measurement

Thanks
    Thanked 4,379 Times in 1,451 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

mklotz's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotsman Hosie View Post
    After the 1st number of years — and easily as many blown up meters — I discovered I could blow up a $5.oo meter, with about the same efficacy as I could a more expensive model. And since, truth be told, I rarely needed the kind of sensitivity of either a Simpson or a Fluke, I defaulted to always having an extra meter handy. Kinda like having an extra truck key. (And I probably saved a couple thousand dollars, over the last 40 years.)

On another note, I did a helluva lot better, when I started marking the damned dials. So I could clearly tell what settings I had them on.
    One of Harbor Freight's freebies is a small digital VOM. I've tested a few and they're accurate enough for doing TLAR electrical work.

I might use them as you suggest but when I get them I usually raid them for their nine volt battery to use in in my homemade electronic test gear.
    45 Best Harbor Freight Tool Modifications

---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    http://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

2. The Following User Says Thank You to mklotz For This Useful Post:

Scotsman Hosie (02-25-2019)

Supporting Member Scotsman Hosie's Avatar
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Scotsman Hosie's Tools
    500+ Homemade Tool Plans

Those are the ones I've been using for the last 15 or 20 years. Always have at least a couple 'ahead' for when one craps out.

On the other hand, I'm always knocked out by your craftsmanship and ability to come up with so many useful gadgets. And keep track of them all. How do you keep track of 'em all?
    Forge Build Guide

Last edited by Scotsman Hosie; 02-25-2019 at 08:43 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,379 Times in 1,451 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

mklotz's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotsman Hosie View Post
    On the other hand, I'm always knocked out by your craftsmanship and ability to come up with so many useful gadgets. And keep track of them all. How do you keep track of 'em all?
    Thanks much for the compliments.

Well, I'm blessed with (cursed by sometimes) a near eidetic visual memory. [My wife marvels that I can walk into the room where she's viewing a TV movie and, with a casual glance at the screen, remark that I've seen the movie before.]

With this kind of memory, I can mentally review in detail all the things I've built. It's especially helpful when I wish to design something new. I seldom put plans on paper and do all the design work in my head. Occasionally I'll make small working sketches to work out complex dimensions.

It also helps in finding stuff. Most times I can picture which side of which drawer or cupboard an item of interest is located. I reinforce this by always storing something for the first time in the first sensible place that occurs to me knowing full well that that place will pop to mind when I go to find it in the future.

It appears to be an inheritable trait. Like me, my oldest daughter can instantly tell you whether a picture/drawing/map was located on the left side page or right in an opened book.

Neither of us are totally eidetic. We can't visualize text we've read and 'reread' it unless the text happens to be part of a pictorial representation.

Another surprising thing is the fact that my general memory deteriorates with age (now 77) normally; most days I can't tell you what I had for dinner yesterday. Yet the eidetic thing doesn't seem to deteriorate. It's probably housed in some part of the brain distinct from where 'normal' memory is kept.

Post your reply!
    Join 42,532 of us and get 500+ tool plans, tool eBooks, build guides, and much more.

eBooks for Supporters
    ---
    Regards, Marv

Home Shop Freeware
    http://www.myvirtualnetwork.com/mklotz

Thread Information