Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Rockwell/Delta wood lathe

Thanks

Rockwell/Delta wood lathe

I have a rockwell/Delta wood lathe and I need help. I want to put a wooden wheel on the spindle end at the motor end. The spindle working end has a 1" x 8" spindle end. On the opposite end, where I want to add a wheel, nothing with a 1" x 8" will screw on the spindle. Does it have left hand threads? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, zetuskid

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thanks
    if you could add the model and serial number of your lathe, perhaps i could help, buck email me, buckwill33@hootmell.corn, correct the spelling of hootmell and put delta lathe in subject line so my puter and i dont discard it,, buck

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    Similar to this is what I want to do is put a wheel on the end of the spindle.

Rockwell/Delta wood lathe-img_0016.jpg

Thanks
    i went to this site lathes.co what it said was the 14 X 36 rockwell used a threaded 1" X8 thd RH on the inboard and a 1" X8 thd LH on the outboard end, i would start with a 1" x8 left hand nut to make my bowl turning faceplate, buck it underlined it and wiped out half of the site so here it is again www.lathes.co forward slashdennorske fwd slash page3 dot html buck
    Last edited by buck; May 30, 2017 at 06:28 PM. Reason: add info

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by buck View Post
    i went to this site lathes.co what it said was the 14 X 36 rockwell used a threaded 1" X8 thd RH on the inboard and a 1" X8 thd LH on the outboard end, i would start with a 1" x8 left hand nut to make my bowl turning faceplate, buck it underlined it and wiped out half of the site so here it is again lathes.co forward slashdennorske fwd slash page3 dot html buck
    Thank you so much Buck. That explains a lot. Thanks for your follow-up and research. I just knew you guys would come through.

Thanks
    YVW,, primarily i was a machinist/millwright,, gas and steam turbine millwright, but all machines interest me, soooo, anytime buck

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by zetuskid View Post
    I have a rockwell/Delta wood lathe and I need help. I want to put a wooden wheel on the spindle end at the motor end. The spindle working end has a 1" x 8" spindle end. On the opposite end, where I want to add a wheel, nothing with a 1" x 8" will screw on the spindle. Does it have left hand threads? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, zetuskid
    The outboard is a 1" 8 TPI LH thread. Suggest you purchase a LH Delta 3" or 6" faceplate (some are LH AND RH) and add a turned wood disk to it.

Thanks

Moby Duck's Tools
    If you look carefully at the photo, you can see from the slope of the thread that this is a left hand thread. In all things like this, just imagine whether or not the tool offered up to the job is trying to tighten or loosen the the chuck. The torque produced by the tool must always be attempting to tighten it.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Keyser View Post
    The outboard is a 1" 8 TPI LH thread. Suggest you purchase a LH Delta 3" or 6" faceplate (some are LH AND RH) and add a turned wood disk to it.
    Thank you, that's a very good suggestion. Thanks for responding. I appreciate it very much.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Moby Duck View Post
    If you look carefully at the photo, you can see from the slope of the thread that this is a left hand thread. In all things like this, just imagine whether or not the tool offered up to the job is trying to tighten or loosen the the chuck. The torque produced by the tool must always be attempting to tighten it.

Thank you. Very good advise and info. Thank you!

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information