Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: saber saw keyway cutting

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    I was given my first set of real tools at the age of 4 and it's been down hill since. what they haven't been able to sew back on has been able to grow back... so far...

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    funny thing is I could have saved myself a lot of trouble had I just ordered the sprockets bored to size with the keyway already in them. it was a 4 week lead time and 4 times the price. a real no brainer there

2000 Tool Plans
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks

WmRMeyers's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
    I was given my first set of real tools at the age of 4 and it's been down hill since. what they haven't been able to sew back on has been able to grow back... so far...
    The family rule is "If dad didn't bleed on it, it isn't fixed yet." And I've removed a few small chunks. Only one needed stitches, so far. I have also outgrown the feeling that I'm impervious and immortal. Something to do with needing two total hip replacements in the past 15 years. If you just wear out body parts, you can't very well be impervious.

Thanks

WmRMeyers's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    funny thing is I could have saved myself a lot of trouble had I just ordered the sprockets bored to size with the keyway already in them. it was a 4 week lead time and 4 times the price. a real no brainer there
    Oh yes! I can certainly see that!

Bili

Thanks
    Thanked 2,977 Times in 1,892 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank S View Post
    My dewalt saber saw is variable speed so I could go as slow as I felt necessary. Holding the small sprocket by hand can get dicey fast so if you use this idea I recommend a plate with a slot in it so the part you are cutting has a full bearing surface to rest on.
    be safe
    A small 'throat plate' opening is important regarding vertical action tools such as die filers and bandsaws. If you can hold part down, all goes well; and cut surprisingly close patterns.
    The reciprocal cut of die filer is aided with a hold-down; an overarm maintaining light contact with part. Some use a spring and roller, others a finger or ski shaped leaf spring bearing down with light pressure, while you maintain the feed rate.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Thanks
    Clever but wondering if you also mount more than one blade in the jigsaw to increase the cutting width..?

Thanks
    Thanked 8,766 Times in 4,195 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by ansteesolutions View Post
    Clever but wondering if you also mount more than one blade in the jigsaw to increase the cutting width..?
    My Dewalt has a collet type blade lock that will only open wide enough to accept a single blade other brands may have a different means of securing the blades.
    I found that making 2 cuts at just under the finished keyway width then slicing out the remainder from between them worked very well. then I finished the keyway with a small file. I always try to make my keyways as near to dimensionally true as possible.
    Even when I has a broaching machine I would finish the cuts with a file. I have made a statement before about files. I love them and they hate me. New files get treated like precision instruments old dull files become scrapers or knives I can mill a head or deck an engine block and set the fit of a V8 intake manifold with a large file to almost the same precision as a CNC mill or surface grinder it just takes me a while longer.
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

mwmkravchenko (Oct 26, 2021)

Supporting Member
    Thanks

If what you say ("If dad didn't bleed on it...") is true...

Quote Originally Posted by WmRMeyers View Post
    The family rule is "If dad didn't bleed on it, it isn't fixed yet." And I've removed a few small chunks. Only one needed stitches, so far. I have also outgrown the feeling that I'm impervious and immortal. Something to do with needing two total hip replacements in the past 15 years. If you just wear out body parts, you can't very well be impervious.
    Then I have fixed a whole lotta s**t over the years. I got a new hip almost to years ago (at age 58) because the end of the femur died. I had my 9th back surgery earlier this year and just and the nerves in my elbows worked on. My motto is stolen from Monty Python's "Holy Grail" "It's only a flesh wound!"

Thanks

WmRMeyers's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
    Then I have fixed a whole lotta s**t over the years. I got a new hip almost to years ago (at age 58) because the end of the femur died. I had my 9th back surgery earlier this year and just and the nerves in my elbows worked on. My motto is stolen from Monty Python's "Holy Grail" "It's only a flesh wound!"
    I've been avoiding knee surgery since I was 19, had my first hip replacement, the right hip, when I was 54. Doc thought it was necrotizing, like yours, and they went in to do arthroscopic surgery in January while I was still 53, and the joint had worn out again by my birthday in May. August the replaced the joint. Then again for the left at age 59 for the left hip. Still avoiding the knee surgery, and have had lots of steroid shots in the back, and the second instance of burning out the nerves there was a week ago this past Friday. Back doc that fixed my wife's back and got her out of the power wheel chair a decade or more ago, told me that there was a 50% chance they could fix my back, and a 50% chance they'd make it worse. He suggested I not have the back done until nothing else helps. I'm with you, there! I'll stop fixing stuff when they nail the box shut.

Bill

Jon
    Jon is online now Jon has agreed the Seller's Terms of Service
    Administrator
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 38,621 Times in 11,284 Posts
    Congratulations Frank S - your Keyway Cutting Tool is the Homemade Tool of the Week!

A big week, but this is a clever solution with an excellent result.

Some more good builds from this week:

Chain Link Fence Tool by Mr.DK DIY
    Shaper by Frank S
    Welder's Helping Hand by orioncons36
    Lathe Follower Rest by bouboulas
    Hot Bluing Method by engineer steve
    Rotary Tool by fox craft
    Plastic Chrome Plating Method by Kovanca Polock
    Keyway Slotting Setup by mariost
    Bandsaw Fence by e_m_maker
    Lucas Magneto Test Rig by Mr. Factotum's Workshop
    Log Splitter by warsztatOdZera
    Clevis Pins by Frank S
    Die Holder by liberal
    Marking Gauge by liberal
    Lathe Riser Blocks by Frank S
    Rotary Tool Mount by Daturat100r
    Tangent Angle Finder by nova_robotics
    Clevis Pin Drilling Jig by Frank S

Frank S - you'll be receiving a $25 online gift card, in your choice of Amazon, PayPal, or bitcoin. Please PM me your current email address and gift card choice and I'll get it sent over right away.

This is your 8th Homemade Tool of the Week. Here are all of your Homemade Tool of the Week winning tools. Congrats again

Thread Information