Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Thread: Scooter Stand

Thanks

remedyman's Tools

Scooter Stand

I have a small business working on scooters. As well as working on a couple that are in the family. Bending over or crawling on the ground to look at low pieces has been causing my back to hurt so I decided to do something about it.

I took a bunch of angle iron and built a stand. Then I took some scrap angle iron from bed frames to build the ramp. It is nice having the scooters up so high in the air but there are times when it is too tall. I am going to work on a method that will allow me to raise and lower it one to two feet.

I hope to get some feed back on this and see if there is room for improvement. Also, this is my first pure welding project.

Scooter Stand-scooter-stand.jpg

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following User Says Thank You to remedyman For This Useful Post:

kbalch (Jun 5, 2014)

Thanks
    Thanks remedyman! I've added your Scooter Stand to our Metalworking category, as well as to your builder page: remedyman's Homemade Tools. Your receipt:

2000 Tool Plans

Thanks
    Thanked 2,763 Times in 650 Posts

rgsparber's Tools
    Excellent idea!

Here is one idea for being able to raise and lower the platform by one to two feet. Say you want to be able to lower it 1 foot and raise it by 1 foot. It would be best if the legs were pipe rather than angle stock. Start by cutting all 4 legs 1 foot shorter. Find some round stock that is a close fit to inside of the pipe. Cut off about 6" of this round stock and fit half of it into the first leg. Weld in place. Repeat for the other 3 legs. As now modified, the platform is 1 foot shorter. Put on the cut pieces of pipe and you are back to the original height. Cut 4 pipes 1 foot longer and you are 1 foot taller than originally designed. You may want to cross drill and add a pin on each leg. For 1 foot lower, nominal, and 1 foot taller you will need a total of 4 new pieces of pipe. This could all be done with angle stock but it would be harder to do IMHO.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to rgsparber For This Useful Post:

remedyman (Jun 8, 2014)

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,850 Times in 1,652 Posts
    Great suggestion, Rick! I was thinking of a scissors mechanism and a van jack but your idea is so much simpler to implement.

Thanks

remedyman's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by rgsparber View Post
    Excellent idea!

Here is one idea for being able to raise and lower the platform by one to two feet. Say you want to be able to lower it 1 foot and raise it by 1 foot. It would be best if the legs were pipe rather than angle stock. Start by cutting all 4 legs 1 foot shorter. Find some round stock that is a close fit to inside of the pipe. Cut off about 6" of this round stock and fit half of it into the first leg. Weld in place. Repeat for the other 3 legs. As now modified, the platform is 1 foot shorter. Put on the cut pieces of pipe and you are back to the original height. Cut 4 pipes 1 foot longer and you are 1 foot taller than originally designed. You may want to cross drill and add a pin on each leg. For 1 foot lower, nominal, and 1 foot taller you will need a total of 4 new pieces of pipe. This could all be done with angle stock but it would be harder to do IMHO.
    I really like that idea but I am looking for something that allows me to adjust the height with the scooter still on the stand. I am thinking something with threaded rod. I am certain I will have to replace the angle iron legs to do it. I was thinking about two sliding pipes but I also want the height to adjust equally at the same time and that would probably require gears. I am not sure I want to go that route. I an currently thinking about a double scissor lift mechanism. Gotta think about it more and wait for inspiration to strike before I take it apart.

Also, I added a third set of legs in the middle for additional support. I think I only need about a foot of vertical movement. But I do like your idea and I have a feeling I will utilize it one another project soon.

Thank you.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

Thread Information