Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Semi trucks moving a large transformer - GIF

Content Editor
    Supporting Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 29,882 Times in 9,939 Posts

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Altair For This Useful Post:

clydeman (Apr 12, 2023), durrelltn (Apr 15, 2023), Inflight (Apr 12, 2023), Ralphxyz (Apr 15, 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,453 Times in 823 Posts

hemmjo's Tools
    That is amazing.

When I see things like this I ask myself how are we going to get anything done when all of the trucks have to be electric? Will the next brilliant idea be to make all of the construction equipment electric also?

There is a precedent for electric equipment. (Edited from wikipedia)
    Big Muskie was the world’s largest electric shovel, used for strip mining coal in Ohio. It was the only machine of its kind and was so massive; it could remove 240 tons of coal in a single scoop. It was powered by electricity supplied at 13,800 volts via a trailing cable, which had its own transporter/coiling units to move it.[1] The electricity powered the main drives, eighteen 1,000 horsepower (750 kW) and ten 625 horsepower (466 kW) DC electric motors. Some systems in Big Muskie were electro-hydraulic, but the main drives were all electric.[3] While working, Big Muskie used the equivalent of the power for 27,500 homes, costing tens of thousands of dollars an hour just in power costs and necessitating special agreements with local Ohio power companies to accommodate the extra load. The machine had a crew of five, and worked around the clock, with special emphasis on night work since the per kilowatt-hour rate was much cheaper.

There is no way we have the generation capacity now or in the near future to power all of this stuff.

Sorry, I get side traced sometimes.

2000 Tool Plans

Supporting Member
    Thanks

ductape's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by hemmjo View Post
    That is amazing.

When I see things like this I ask myself how are we going to get anything done when all of the trucks have to be electric? Will the next brilliant idea be to make all of the construction equipment electric also?

There is a precedent for electric equipment. (Edited from wikipedia)
    Big Muskie was the world’s largest electric shovel, used for strip mining coal in Ohio. It was the only machine of its kind and was so massive; it could remove 240 tons of coal in a single scoop. It was powered by electricity supplied at 13,800 volts via a trailing cable, which had its own transporter/coiling units to move it.[1] The electricity powered the main drives, eighteen 1,000 horsepower (750 kW) and ten 625 horsepower (466 kW) DC electric motors. Some systems in Big Muskie were electro-hydraulic, but the main drives were all electric.[3] While working, Big Muskie used the equivalent of the power for 27,500 homes, costing tens of thousands of dollars an hour just in power costs and necessitating special agreements with local Ohio power companies to accommodate the extra load. The machine had a crew of five, and worked around the clock, with special emphasis on night work since the per kilowatt-hour rate was much cheaper.

There is no way we have the generation capacity now or in the near future to power all of this stuff.

Sorry, I get side traced sometimes.
    Don't apologize! Side tracks are like candy for those who like to learn new things.

Big Muskie was doing it's thing not too far from here and I had the opportunity to see it working before they shut it down. It sounded like Godzilla and had a crew of welders working to hold it together. The power cable was huge. Sadly, the only thing left of it it now is the bucket.

Thanks
    So...why? Is that transformer so riculously heavy that it couldn't be transported on a heavy-duty flatbed trailer? Is the green framework part of its final resting place, or is that just the way to move bigheavythings now? I mean, I can't imagine that box weighs much more than a D-10 dozer. I have so many questions!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,453 Times in 823 Posts

hemmjo's Tools
    Unlike the video link, Semi trucks transporting bulldozer, at the beginning of this thread, more often when BIG equipment is moved, it is disassembled. The specifications of a D-10 make it impossible to move on an heavy duty flat bed.

Notice the specifications are even stated as "Transport sizes".
    Weight 
64.1*t, 
Transport length 
9.26*m 30.38 ft, 
Transport width
 3.7*m. 12.1 ft,
 Transport height
 4.34*m 14.29 ft, 
Track width
 710*mm 2.33 ft
, Front blade width 
5.26*m 17.26 ft

The blade, rippers, track and carriage assemblies would be removed and shipped on separate trucks.

In addition, as big as a D-10 is there is a lot of AIR included within a dozer. There is space within that massive machine that contains nothing. It may seen insignificant, but when you put air where there would be iron, it makes a difference. Think about all of the empty space that weights nothing; operator space, cylinders, fuel and hydraulic tanks, oil pan and galleries inside the engine, coolant passages, many more empty spaces within the envelope of the dozer.

The electrical transformer on the other hand is solid, there is no empty space. It is solid iron and copper, with a bit of insulation on the windings. Many transformers are even wound with wire having a square cross section to allow higher magnetic density. There is some space for cooling oil, but not much at all.

Also consider that the extravagant "trailer" shown in the video is as much to protect the roadway as to carry the weight of the load. You could put all of those tires much closer together and haul the same load IF the road could handle it.

Maximum take of weight for a Boeing 777 is 775,000 lb. 385 Tons. That is carried on only 14 tires. BUT airport runways are built and maintained totally different than common roads.

I counted 88 tires on that transformer rig, including the tractors. That is all to save the roads

7. The Following User Says Thank You to hemmjo For This Useful Post:

Toolmaker51 (Apr 13, 2023)

Supporting Member
    Thanks
    I would also add that the trailer configuration allows for sharper corners as long as the side of the road is not too high.

Supporting Member Hoosiersmoker's Avatar
    Thanks
    But is it Megatron or Optimus Prime? It's hard to tell from the video.
    "Divided We Stand, Together We Rise!" - (From "White Feather") - Marillion

Thanks
    Thanked 2,981 Times in 1,893 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoosiersmoker View Post
    But is it Megatron or Optimus Prime? It's hard to tell from the video.
    Hard to say, looks like satin hunter green . . .
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Thanks
    Thanked 2,981 Times in 1,893 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by hemmjo View Post
    Unlike the video link, [COLOR="#0000FF"] <<<snipped>>>
    Maximum take of weight for a Boeing 777 is 775,000 lb. 385 Tons. That is carried on only 14 tires. BUT airport runways are built and maintained totally different than common roads.
    Our local Air National Guard, a tactical airlift wing, the runways appear at least 3 feet thick. There are several assigned C-130's, C-17's fly in regularly, dwarfing the 130's. Until a C-5 joins the runway.
    C-5 takeoff max weight is 840,000 pounds; 270,000 pounds cargo + 332,500 pounds fuel; after being refueled in flight. C-5s have weighed 920,836 pounds, on twenty-eight wheels. Good deal, anticipating potential of 460 tons!
    Runway, it seems well prepared, has survived two significant floods of Missouri River, western boundary between states Missouri and Kansas.
    Semi trucks moving a large transformer - GIF-c5_guess_which.jpg
    Last edited by Toolmaker51; Apr 13, 2023 at 01:14 PM.
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Thanks
    Thanked 8,793 Times in 4,211 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    My count of tires was a tad more than 88 there are 22 on the 2 tractors alone and if you notice those axles on the jeeps and bogie units are side by sides which would mean 8 tires across per axle spacing That type of trailer unit would have the same number of axles in the rear as you can see in the front or 32 axles in all for a total number of tires on the ground assuming there is not another tractor pushing in the rear 150. Now it gets interesting some states will allow special permits of 22,000 per axle when the tandems have enough spacing between them. other states cap the weight at 20,000 permitted per axle. A standard Semi tractor trailer combo of 5 axles is 34+34+12 or 80,000 lbs. When considering a move of this nature the State board of Highway engineers are involved for which ever state or states the move is to be transported. Assuming they were only allowed 34,000 lbs per tandem set having 8 tires on the trailer combination that would be 544,000 add another 100,000 for the tractors with the concrete blocks we get 644,000 but could be as high as 768,000 if the respective states would allow it but we are looking at 2 heavy duty tractors That Brockway in front is obviously a heavy built tractor with those planetary drive axles The KW would be slouch either. say 40K for the trucks those Mafia blocks weigh between 2800 and 3600 each depending on their size, and I counted 20 on the lead truck That trailer combo would be around 200,000 bare, but more probably closer to 250K, another 72,000 for concrete and before the load is even lowered onto the rig there is between 312and 330,000 lbs of hog iron to move. A modular platform trailer and 2 trucks would be a weight savings of at least 1/3 to 1/2. The problem with a modular platform unit would be the overall height with the transformer on it, and some states are reluctant to consider issuing permits for them because of bureaucratic nonsense.
    If only we would learn how to build roads like Israel built their highway from Televi to Haifa you can land and take off with a fully loaded cargo plane on any stretch of it
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Frank S For This Useful Post:

hemmjo (Apr 16, 2023), Toolmaker51 (Apr 13, 2023)

Thread Information