Free 186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook:  
Get 2,000+ tool plans, full site access, and more.

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Semi trucks moving a large transformer - GIF

Thanks
    Thanked 2,981 Times in 1,893 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Per Frank S, after a dive into tire count; "NOW, it gets interesting . . .".

Or is it just me?

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Thanks
    Thanked 8,793 Times in 4,211 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Over in the Middle East I saw 200-ton complete drill rigs moved across the hard pan of the desert on a few as 6 very large earth moving equipment tires and hardly even leave a trail where they traveled. In the mines where those 300 yon capacity dump trucks are used when it becomes time to mine the haul road the ground has to be broken up with a ripper before a D11 can even scrape away the over burden.
    When President Eisenhour proposed the Interstate highway network they were originally supposed to be designed to carry heavy military equipment across the country. But I have seen gravel roads that would hold up to overloading better than many of the highways.

2000 Tool Plans
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thanks

Ralphxyz's Tools
    Now I want to see it make a turn.

Thanks
    Thank you, hemmjo! That clears up a lot of questions. I had no idea about the contents of that big grey box. Square wire..who'da thunk it?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,453 Times in 823 Posts

hemmjo's Tools
    OOPs I did miss a few tires!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,981 Times in 1,893 Posts

Toolmaker51's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by hemmjo View Post
    OOPs I did miss a few tires!
    https://ifunny.co/picture/im-here-fo...2lxiXwlGA?s=cl
    Sincerely,
    Toolmaker51
    ...we'll learn more by wandering than searching...

Thanks
    Thanked 8,793 Times in 4,211 Posts

Frank S's Tools
    Quote Originally Posted by Ralphxyz View Post
    Now I want to see it make a turn.
    Ralph; steering one of these units takes a bit of skill, as you can imagine. Different rigs are done much differently. back in the early 1990s A close friend and customer of mine had a 13 axle rig called 3+3+3+4 rig which meant a 4-axle tractor with lift axle in front of the drive axles a 3 axle long neck Jeep the unit right behind the tractor. on the jeep under the 5th wheel for the trailer was connected was a hydraulic tower that I made so the front of the trailer could be raised on in another case a bolster was connected to carry the load, when the trailer deck and neck were not used. the 3 axle group in the rear of the trailer deck was detachable so the deck or bed of the trailer could be removed behind that was called the stinger the 3rd 3 axle group which articulated from the trailer axles. Near the articulation point was where I made another hydraulic elevating tower which could be added when required. It had another pivoting bolster on it I custom made hydraulic cylinders and attached them to the 2 3axle groups to force the articulation think of an articulating rubber tired payloader's movement. With the load on the bolster the back end could be steered to swing out wide turning left to go right type of action. On the very back of everything I mounted a platform with safety railing for a guy to ride back there when steering around corners was required. It is slow going when the rear needs to be steered because any wrong or fast movement becomes disastrous &" RIGHT NOW". Later on when he bought an 18-axle unit, I modified that unit so he could steer the rear groups from the cab of his truck. Truck drivers who specialize in hauling the supersize Class L loads are the best of the best in the business or they may as well be classed as a kid in a Miata distracted by their cell phone while jamming to loud music. He kept his rigs parked on the lot at my shop and one time he called me to bring the 18-axle unit to him in Houston with the 33 ft extension beams installed making the rig 150 feet long end to end. It was a driving experience because even without a load to worry about there is a lot going on when navigating even the gentler curves. I was sure thankful for having made it cab rear steer capable.

186 More Best Homemade Tools eBook
    Never try to tell me it can't be done
    When I have to paint I use KBS products

Thread Information